Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass Hammer: Perilous

Quote Originally Posted by trespass View Post
    Would love to see these guys at BajaProg. That might pry the $8.99 from my pocket. I'll probably get it regardless, although as I own zero GH, I'm think CC might be more to my tastes. Decisions, decisions. They do sound very much like classic Yes. And Yes, I've seen JD sing with Yes in concert. It was good but you'll need to look at old PE to see my full review of the show from this past summer.

So...in to GH I will get. Will it be P or CC?
    Of the 3 Davison-era albums, I think IF is the strongest overall. Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

CC does have the excellent epic "To Someone" and the strong "Nothingbox"

PERILOUS is great but maybe not for all tastes. It's a one hour long concept piece with nothing really that can be pulled out as a stand alone track (no "Carpet Crawlers" here, for example.) Not that you have to listen to the whole thing every time, but it's the kind of album you listen to in chunks if not in its entirety. The back cover has the album divided into 3 segments and I've found that listening to a segment at a time works best if you don't have time for the whole thing, with the last sequence being my favorite.

Hope this helps and happy listening!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    ItalProgRules;16358]Of the 3 Davison-era albums, I think IF is the strongest overall. Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

CC does have the excellent epic "To Someone" and the strong "Nothingbox"

The back cover has the album divided into 3 segments and I've found that listening to a segment at a time works best if you don't have time for the whole thing, with the last sequence being my favorite.

Hope this helps and happy listening!
    It does help and thanks for the informative reply. I think I'll check out the two recommended tracks from CC and then move forward with the Perilous album. Posts like yours truely do rule Thanks ItalProgR

There are a couple of really strong three album runs. Besides the aforementioned IF-CC-P trio, Shadowlands-Inconsolable Secret-Culture of Ascent is a terrific run as well. TiS remains my single favorite overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    There are a couple of really strong three album runs. Besides the aforementioned IF-CC-P trio, Shadowlands-Inconsolable Secret-Culture of Ascent is a terrific run as well. TiS remains my single favorite overall.
    Shadowlands just isn't doing it for me, at least not yet. Got it a few weeks ago and spun it 3-4 times. Incosolable Secret is being reissued in a few months, iirc. They've been dropping hints about Kamran Alan Shikoh adding new bits to something. Could it be TIS?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Shadowlands just isn't doing it for me, at least not yet. Got it a few weeks ago and spun it 3-4 times. Incosolable Secret is being reissued in a few months, iirc. They've been dropping hints about Kamran Alan Shikoh adding new bits to something. Could it be TIS?
    If that last part about adding new bits is true, maybe they could get Jon Davison to sing new vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    If that last part about adding new bits is true, maybe they could get Jon Davison to sing new vocals?
    Some trivia: The whole reason GH ever contacted JD in the first place back around 2009 or 2010 was in regard to singing some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Some trivia: The whole reason GH ever contacted JD in the first place back around 2009 or 2010 was in regard to singing some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret...
    Ahh, zee plot thickens!

.... some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret
    Would be interesting to hear some alternate takes on the album ..... but the thing is darn near perfect so hopefully not too much fiddling.

Santa said he's bringing me Con Cordium and Perilous this year. I love GH since I bought the Lex Live dvd and The Inconsolable Secret but stopped after IF. Not because of any problems with them,just so much money to go around,but after reading Ken's rave review I'm sold. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Santa said he's bringing me Con Cordium and Perilous this year. I love GH since I bought the Lex Live dvd and The Inconsolable Secret but stopped after IF. Not because of any problems with them,just so much money to go around,but after reading Ken's rave review I'm sold. Thanks buddy.
    Glad to see you part with your hard earned gold pressed latinum ! Yeah, this is a great album. I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks because I was afraid I was overplaying it. Glad I did, because when I put it on in the car this past week, all those good vibes kept flooding back. It's a great album; #2 on my list for Best of '12 (Marillion's "Sounds That Can't Be Made" was first)
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

No matter how many times I spin PERILOUS, I keep finding more great things in there. This is an album with serious depth.

I'm pretty impressed with this clip; there's more energy in the performance, and better balance in the instruments. I guess I'll have to order it.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Did the same line-up on the Tivoli show tour for the Culture of Ascent album? I know it was this line-up what recorded it, but I'm wondering if they toured with that material.
    Why all this wondering? Just go to www.glasshammer.com and ask them. That's why the web was invented folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Why all this wondering? Just go to www.glasshammer.com and ask them. That's why the web was invented folks.
    Or just ask me No shows were done for the Culture Of Ascent album. When the Tivoli concert came up here in town in 2007 or whenever it was we had almost no time to prepare and mostly played songs we had been playing previously. We played South Side Of The Sky prior to that as basically just a straight Yes cover, but we did our arrangement at the 3RP show a couple years later. Steve and I have talked about pulling out some of those songs at future shows though, so stay tuned!

Fred,

As a fan of your and Steve's music and an admirer of the quantity of your output, I've been somewhat suprised that given all of the new music you have, that you would have chosen to do covers. First, you covered yourselves on the Perelandra album, then you've got the "Longer Than" and "South Side of the Sky" covers. Added to that, the desire to revisit the Inconsolable Secret (which I find to be your masterpiece!) baffles me. With so much new music coming out of you guys, why all this covering and second guessing?

Oh, I bought the new album, but mistakenly had it shipped to my brother's house, so I won't get to hear it until after Christmas!

Three cover songs over the course of 13 albums or something- I think we're allowed that... We've put out three albums of all new material in 3 years- why 'ya complaining? The covers are there because we felt like we had something to say through them, a different perspective to show, basically is the short answer. We'll talk more about IS very soon

PS- you forgot Portrait/He Knew on the live album, though that was strictly because Rich Williams sat in at that show...

Oh yeah, A Rose For Emily is a cover as well! I REALLY like that one too, btw.

Oh yeah, A Rose For Emily is a cover as well! I REALLY like that one too, btw.
    Odessy (sic) & Oracle...great, great album.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    No matter how many times I spin PERILOUS, I keep finding more great things in there. This is an album with serious depth.
    I found this was the case with IF too. In fact, I was lukewarm about IF for quite a few spins then it hit me.

With Perilous it has taken even longer to wrap myself around it. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Well done GH!

Still really dislike the cover art though...

Or just ask me No shows were done for the Culture Of Ascent album. When the Tivoli concert came up here in town in 2007 or whenever it was we had almost no time to prepare and mostly played songs we had been playing previously. We played South Side Of The Sky prior to that as basically just a straight Yes cover, but we did our arrangement at the 3RP show a couple years later. Steve and I have talked about pulling out some of those songs at future shows though, so stay tuned!
    Ember without Name and Sun Song PLZZZZZZZZZZ.

IMHO IF has the best song of the JD era in "If the Stars", "Cor Coridium" has the next two strongest in "Salvation Station" and "Dear Daddy", and "Perilous" is probably the most evenly consistant and complex of the three!