Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass Hammer: Perilous

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If I was to refuse to buy albums because of the cover, I'd miss out on a whole lot of great music.
    I rarely do it but this one...

...will never put me in the mood to spin it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Huh, someone mentioned Mannheim Steamroller?? From a compositional standpoint, there is a world of difference between the two. I don't mind MS, and would more like equate PFM's recent instrumental album to them. But GH uses a whole lot of technique MS has never done, rhythm changes, chord changes, melodies that carry over changes in key. Plus I think the melodies (more of a subjective thing, I know) are really good. Just my opinion, of course

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Huh, someone mentioned Mannheim Steamroller?? From a compositional standpoint, there is a world of difference between the two. GH uses a whole lot of technique MS has never done, rhythm changes, chord changes, melodies that carry over changes in key. Plus I think the melodies (more of a subjective thing, I know) are really good.
    well, I did say "suped-up"

Did Live At The Tivoli ever get released on DVD or CD?

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

It did, that's where this must have been ripped from. Don't know if it's still in print though.

BTW, anyone is welcome to love or hate the cover as they see fit but it is a fairly literal interpretation of the subject matter. Some very personal and painful subject matter I might add, and something that everyone is going to deal with sooner or later.

I bought Shadowland when it first came out, and liked it OK, but I was a bit bemused by their cover of Dan Fogelberg's Longer. I said then, if you're going to cover a well know pop song and put a new arrangement on it, like Yes did with Paul Simon's America, then you'd better hit a home run, like Yes did. I said then that GH was thrown out at 2nd base.

But this live version, is superior to the album version in every way. Carl Groves is one of GH best male vocalists and this is a better arrangement. This version of Longer they hit out of the park. I've always thought that a lot of GH's material was always missing one tiny ingredient on many of their songs, whether it was a better lead male vocal performance here, or a bit more guitar there, less of this more of that, etc... I've spent an afternoon perusing these YT vids and boy oh boy, this sure was a killer show. All of these performances are better than their studio counterparts. If this is available on CD, I'd buy it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Did the same line-up on the Tivoli show tour for the Culture of Ascent album? I know it was this line-up what recorded it, but I'm wondering if they toured with that material.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I hate that lame gothic metal cover. Up to the point of not buying the album...

Totally agree on the lameness of the spooky dude cover. cheese. The image on the back of the CD is even cheesier - spooky dude with goggles strapped to his top hat. ??

Its a turn off until you put on the disc and realize its almost as good as "If".

[QUOTE=itserik;6214]Totally agree on the lameness of the spooky dude cover. cheese. The image on the back of the CD is even cheesier - spooky dude with goggles strapped to his top hat. ??
    QUOTE]

Holy crap, some of you are soooo picky with cover art. I think it's a cool cover, which I guess points out my overall lameness. I'm not sure what is wrong with it. Don't matter a whole lot though if the music is strong. I love Foxtrot by Genesis, Hemishpheres by Rush and Going for the One by Yes, and all 3 have terrible covers, far worse than anything by GH. Can't say I've been disappointed by a GH album cover yet. The music? Eh. Just kidding!

Gee, I guess it would be hard for me to care less about the cover art on any album. Cannot honestly recall any instance where the cover caused me to buy or not buy an album.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Gee, I guess it would be hard for me to care less about the cover art on any album. Cannot honestly recall any instance where the cover caused me to buy or not buy an album.
    I can honestly say I've never bought an album because of cool art. It may cause me to look at the album, but to buy it just based on a cover? Seems strange, though apparently so many prog fans have done this over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I can honestly say I've never bought an album because of cool art. It may cause me to look at the album, but to buy it just based on a cover? Seems strange, though apparently so many prog fans have done this over the years.
    Oh I have. When I first saw 'The Geese & The Ghost' the cover was so beautiful, I wondered if the music could possibly sound like the cover. And at least in the title track, it did. I also bought the first Willowglass cd because of the cover art. Absolutely beautiful cover. I admit I expected a little more out of the music that time. On the other hand, I don't think a cover has actually caused me to NOT buy an album I would have otherwise though.

This is "Our Foe Revealed" from Perilous. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post

This is "Our Foe Revealed" from Perilous. Enjoy!
    great example of the fine music on Perilous. Thanks for posting GH.

Listening to "Chronos Deliverer" from Chronometree right now. What a mind-blower.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

"In That Lonely Place" is a such a beautiful song. I can't stop listening to it!

This really is a great album, I think their best since Inconsolable Secret. I understand the vinyl version soon to be released has some bonus tracks on it. Any chance those bonus tracks will find their way onto CD or digital download?

Just curious if Randall Williams will ever be an official member of the group since he's always listed as a guest?

Okay, that was Tasty with a capital T.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Just curious if Randall Williams will ever be an official member of the group since he's always listed as a guest?
    Well... we're going to be saying something about that rather soon...

Banned
    Does it ever get more YES-like than "One Heart" off Cor Cordium?

Banned
    Did GH use vintage keyboards on this one? Or cheap imitations? Also, if GH have to tour behind this next year, how will Jon D. find time to record with Yes?

The album was recorded using a real vintage Casiotone CT-360 keyboard as well as an Ensoniq Mirage with a broken disk drive so we couldn't load any sounds into it. We do regret that since GH plans to play well over 500 shows in 2013 that Yes will probably have to take the entire year off. Sorry about that, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The album was recorded using a real vintage Casiotone CT-360 keyboard as well as an Ensoniq Mirage with a broken disk drive so we couldn't load any sounds into it. We do regret that since GH plans to play well over 500 shows in 2013 that Yes will probably have to take the entire year off. Sorry about that, guys.

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Would love to see these guys at BajaProg. That might pry the $8.99 from my pocket. I'll probably get it regardless, although as I own zero GH, I'm think CC might be more to my tastes. Decisions, decisions. They do sound very much like classic Yes. And Yes, I've seen JD sing with Yes in concert. It was good but you'll need to look at old PE to see my full review of the show from this past summer.

So...in to GH I will get. Will it be P or CC?