Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Guapo - History of the Visitation

FEATURED ALBUM: Guapo - History of the Visitation

Review from Roadburn.com:

Praise for Guapo‘s History Of The Visitation from San Francisco’s aQuarius Records: If you asked us (do it!) to recommend you a good modern day “prog rock” band, Guapo would be at the top of the list, which would be obvious if you’ve seen our many, many reviews of the fantastically proggy output of this long running British unit, who have released albums on such labels as Cuneiform, Ipecac, tUMULt, Neurot, and now Cuneiform again.

Guapo - History Of The Visitation

Their all-instrumental excursions into the epic outer reaches of compositional complexity and dark moodiness certainly owe something to the ’70s prog greats but don’t really come off as “retro” the way, like, Astra does (though that’s fine with us too). Also their inspirations aren’t just the more popular groups like Yes and King Crimson, they’re probably more informed by the likes of Magma and Univers Zero.

With History Of The Visitation, Guapo‘s first album since 2008, the band’s current lineup – featuring founding member and drummer extraordinare David Smith, along with three other gents, some of whom have also played in Cardiacs and Chrome Hoof, on guitar, bass, and keyboards, PLUS bunch of guests on violin, oboe, bassoon, French horn and other fancy instruments – continue to indulge in the epic, cinematic, somewhat sinister sounds that we love ‘em for.

Case in point, the album’s opening track, a five-part suite called ‘The Pilman Radiant’, at over 26 minutes commandeering a good half of the disc. An entire vinyl side in fact, which does the long slow build up from sedate and somber, sorta 20th century classical hiss / drone atmospherics, to a lumbering melodiousness, to full-on jazzed-up soloing, getting pretty darn convoluted before it’s over, making for a powerful prog statement all right. Whew. Could almost be a Stinking Lizaveta song, stretched to, like, ten times ordinary length, with keyboards and effective soundtracky bits added in.

The remaining two tracks here (side two of the vinyl) make similar, but somewhat more concise statements. ‘Complex #7′ is relatively brief and ambient at under 5 minutes, and then there’s the over 11 minute ‘Tremors From The Future’, the later being a repetitive, rhythmically complex hypno-prog jam with plenty of muscle.

As mentioned, Cuneiform has released this on both CD and vinyl. Both formats come with a bonus DVD featuring live footage of Guapo on stage at two festivals – NEARfest 2006 in Pennsylvania and RIO 2007 in France, when Daniel O’Sullivan (of Aethenor, Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses, Grumbling Fur, Ulver, etc.) was still in the band. That artists like Magma and Keith Emerson also appeared at those shows should tell you something.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Still on my 'to get list'. I love the trailer though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The cd is excellent but the gorgeous b&w DVD footage of 5 Suns at NF make this must buy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Actually, I really like what Ken said on the Laser's Edge site about this:

"...Call them experimental or avant garde if you will but at their core Guapo are a prog rock band. Maybe they don't want to incur media backlash but that's the facts (just don't tell anyone you know). Give the opening 26 minute track "The Pilman Radiant" a spin. Emerging from a cacophony of sound is a full on burst of prog goodness that will arch the eyebrow of any Crimso fan. You can tell the band are playing with the same telepathic interplay. Noisy in places and certainly with lots of gravitas, the music always has a cohesive structure. And so it goes with the other two tracks - lots of yang and very little yin."

anyway, nice to see this featured.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Great album! Love it!

One of my favorite modern prog groups and of the three records I have from them (5 Suns and Black Oni are the other two), this is my favorite. This ties with The Raven for my favorite album of 2013 so far.

Love this one. DVD is great, too.....

I keep forgetting to order this damned thing! I'll need to remedy that asap!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

There's a very nice review of this in the latest issue of The Wire as well.

I'll be getting around to this at the sight of my next paycheck.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm hoping that these type of high quality CD-DVD combinations turn out to be successful for the labels as I really like them when they're done well, such as this one and Present - Barbaro.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I HATED them at Nearfest, but what the heck, I'll check out the clips when I get home. OK, I did like the drumming, but I found their songs just went on and on without any indication of any beginning, middle or end. It was just structured noise to me, well without a lot of structure.

I only have their first album. Have they changed a lot in the meantime??

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I only have their first album. Have they changed a lot in the meantime??
    You do know that (the otherwise completely excellent) Five Suns wasn't their debut, right? The band indeed started out way before that, then as a more profoundly noise-influenced act not too far off from Brise-Glace, Ulan Bator, Tarantula Hawk or Shellac or somewhere in between. They adopted the more prominent zeuhl-attachment by the time of the release prior to FS.

I still think Black Oni is the best Guapo I've heard as of yet, though this might change now as I'm reading such great things about the new one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For me this band just keep improving and this is their best yet.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    OK, I did like the drumming, but I found their songs just went on and on without any indication of any beginning, middle or end. It was just structured noise to me, well without a lot of structure.
    I find with bands like this I need to instate the 3-play rule.

Play 1 - Just get past the WTF factor.
    Play 2 - Now I know there is a beginning, middle, and end, I can usually begin to appreciate some of the jams along the way.
    Play 3 - I've been through the journey twice, now I can begin to understand what the musicians were shooting at.

I have been turned on to some of my favorite bands doing this, even if their music was daunting, impenetrable, or bizarre at first.

That being said, I have two Guapo albums I have not yet done due diligence with. It takes a lot more time to do this with a 45-minute slab of challenging prog rock than something broken down into more manageable chunks. I am assured they're classics, though.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quite possibly my favorite album from them. I still haven't got around to watching the DVD.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I still prefer FS and BO but this one isn't bad.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

A really good album, and the DVD NEARfest footage is killer. Black Oni is still my favourite by them, but the new one is extremely worthy.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You do know that (the otherwise completely excellent) Five Suns wasn't their debut, right?
    I do! Towers Open Fire is the one I've got.

Fantastic album. Just fantastic. The DVD makes for compelling viewing.

Great album, will very likely be in my top 10 of the year. I was aware they had releases proper to Five Suns but I have never investigated that. This thread has me intrigued.

Also love the DVD, ripped the audio so I could play it on my ipod.

still have to get this...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I told the Wife that this is the first item on my birthday list so I should be getting this in July.

Next purchase...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"