Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARCADE FIRE - anyone hear of 'em?

ARCADE FIRE - anyone hear of 'em?

This past weekend I saw ARCADE FIRE on PBS' Austin City Limits. Wow! Talk about intensity. They certainly made me sit up & take notice.

http://youtu.be/S0bG24EN6qE

You can go to the Austin City Limits website to watch the entire show (~50 minutes).

Just when you thought there was no more interesting music getting made...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Yes!! Love this band.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I own their three albums. Although I probably prefer their debut "Funeral", all 3 albums are absolutely gorgeous.

There's a big alternative/indie-scene this side of the century, who don't deny or hide influences, however slight, from progressive acts of the past. It's not exactly a real 'coming out', but progressive rock is at least considered as part of the 'canon' of Western European Music 1960 onwards. Some of my favorite indie-acts are The Decemberists, Grizzly Bear, The National, Kashmir, and even acts like Interpol, The Boxer Rebellion and The Standard. All of these names, including Arcade Fire, are on my auto-buy-list.

Oh by the way, this is the song "Neon Bible" in less than 2 minutes, live, in an elevator. Great fun watching!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very nice band, just watched a Palladia special from Spain
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw them back up U2 about seven or eight years ago. They're not unknown though - I think they have Grammy win(s). Great live band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Grammy winners for album of the year (2011) no less.

My daughter loves these guys. I classify them under the Muse-like category.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

ARCADE FIRE - anyone hear of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My daughter loves these guys. I classify them under the Muse-like category.
    I respectfully disagree. While Muse may be interesting, these guys are in a class by themselves. They remind me of the first time that I discovered Genesis so many years ago. Not that they sound like Genesis at all. They are much more in the Pop vein, but they have that "special sound" that makes me want to listen to them again and again.

As covered by Peter Gabriel:

They're extremely earnest and somewhat pretentious, which should endear them to at least some prog fans.

I definitely like them but fall short of loving them. I've seen them live twice - very busy onstage; there's like a dozen of these guys.

I don’t have any of their albums (not sure why), but I have seen several of their concerts on Palladia / Axis TV and they appear to be an incredible live band. I would definitely check them out if they ever came near where I live.

Steve Sly

One of those bands that I would like to like - and should like, since they manage to tick most of the boxes for me (ambitious, edgy but with a sense of melody, folky touches...) - but something doesn't entirely work. There's a self-consciousness about them - a sort of preciousness - that I find a bit irritating.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I saw them back when they were starting out, in an absolutely packed medium-sized club. They reminded me of late-period Talking Heads - the yelping vocals, the busy arrangements of fairly straightforward songs, the large-sized band, the self-conscious "quirkiness" and general self-conscious arty quality - except with a bit more C&W and folk in the mix and not so much funk and soul. Also, with more ideas per song, bigger melodies, changes of key or rhythmic feel and the like, AF's songwriting is less efficient than the Heads, who rarely put anything into a song that wasn't absolutely necessary. David Byrne really loves them, and that doesn't surprise me at all.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-23-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    I respectfully disagree. While Muse may be interesting, these guys are in a class by themselves. They remind me of the first time that I discovered Genesis so many years ago. Not that they sound like Genesis at all. They are much more in the Pop vein, but they have that "special sound" that makes me want to listen to them again and again.
    Yeah, I agreee that they have a "sound". The other new group my daughter likes, and may be of interest to folks here, is Arctic Monkeys.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Even the NFL approves of Arcade Fire. U2 used their song (Wake Up) during their 2005 tour, turning off the house lights and cranking up the volume before coming onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Yeah, I agreee that they have a "sound". The other new group my daughter likes, and may be of interest to folks here, is Arctic Monkeys.
    I absolutley hate, loathe and despise Arctic Monkeys.

There's a big alternative/indie-scene this side of the century, who don't deny or hide influences, however slight, from progressive acts of the past. It's not exactly a real 'coming out', but progressive rock is at least considered as part of the 'canon' of Western European Music 1960 onwards.
    True.

However, I would argue that in many cases what's going on is a little different: That forms of progressive rock have been reinvented many times from first principles. Some kid was writing a song, he went for an F chord on his guitar but wasn't looking and hit an F# chord instead, and he thought it sounded cool so he kept it and went onward from that F#. Or maybe he realized that all his favorite songs had bridges and maybe codas or even multiple parts, so he started putting them into his own songs. Or he was working on a riff and it kept wanting to go to some new and different place, so he let it go there. Or he liked four or five kinds of music, and started trying to play all of them at once. Or he liked some of the un-foot-tappable rhythms he heard over the stereo at a Greek restaurant.

You don't need to be an English kid in the mid-Sixties who loved rock, but had a considerable listening familiarity with classical music (courtesy of the BBC's stodgy programming) to do any of those things. You just need to be trying to do your own stuff, and not care whether it sounds exactly like anyone else's or not. Or maybe just not know enough to be able to make it sound like anyone else's.

From what I understand, that's where Jaga Jazzist came from: Lars Horntveth was that kid. He liked the sound of jazz and the production and sonic approach of hip-hop and electronica, and he knew something about classical composition because of the excellent Norwegian school system, so he formed his own band and put them all together. But he didn't know all that much about our kind of "prog" until critics started making comparisons.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Some of my favorite indie-acts are The Decemberists, Grizzly Bear, The National, Kashmir, and even acts like Interpol, The Boxer Rebellion and The Standard. All of these names, including Arcade Fire, are on my auto-buy-list.
    Love The Decemberists, though they seem to be on hiatus now. Grizzly Bear and The National are fine bands too. I'll have to check out the others as well.

However, I'm a huge MUSE fan, even if the latest album is a bit poor compared to Origins of Symmetry or Black Holes and Revelations. They are great live act, I saw them in Las Vegas a few months ago and they kicked ass. They definitely have prog-y moments, it's nice to see a band that flaunts their musicianship like MUSE does.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Love The Decemberists, though they seem to be on hiatus now. Grizzly Bear and The National are fine bands too. I'll have to check out the others as well.

However, I'm a huge MUSE fan, even if the latest album is a bit poor compared to Origins of Symmetry or Black Holes and Revelations. They are great live act, I saw them in Las Vegas a few months ago and they kicked ass. They definitely have prog-y moments, it's nice to see a band that flaunts their musicianship like MUSE does.
    Though I like you for quoting me, but I really dislike Muse. Not only because of the horrid voice (IMO), but also for the theatrical sound of the music. That would sound weird coming from a prog-fan. But I see it this way: I like bombastic music, though I don't like pompous music. I like Big Music, but I don't like kitsch.

That said, I now realize I dislike most so-called 'new-prog' bands. For me they're most of the time overblown, without giving any real good music. Especially KScope and some InsideOut-bands that fall under that umbrella. But I guess the 'new-prog' phase has already passed.

Are the doors of the arcade locked?

Hear of 'em?

I don't know what it's like over the pond, but here in Britain they're one of the biggest bands around. I've seen them twice in a huge shed (which I normally hate) but loved them both times, even though I was stuck literally in the back row each time.

I've got all three albums too, and I think they've improved with each one. Come to think about it, it's about time we had another...

I used to listen to them quite a bit a few years ago. I really like Funeral. What's cool is that most of the band members play several instruments, so you never know who is going to being playing which instrument live.

Looks like they're working on a new album right now.

http://pitchfork.com/news/50030-arca...studio-in-nyc/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Indie butt rock, ready made for movie ads.

Just because it's 'anthemic' and 'earnest' (not really) doesn't mean progheads should like it. There aren't any good melodies.