Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ARCADE FIRE - anyone hear of 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson776 View Post
    There aren't any good melodies.
    I happen to think that Arcade Fire albums are full of good melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    From what I understand, that's where Jaga Jazzist came from: Lars Horntveth was that kid. He liked the sound of jazz and the production and sonic approach of hip-hop and electronica, and he knew something about classical composition because of the excellent Norwegian school system, so he formed his own band and put them all together. But he didn't know all that much about our kind of "prog" until critics started making comparisons.
    ...or rather, until Ketil Einarsen joined the band...

J.

Just because it's 'anthemic' and 'earnest' (not really) doesn't mean progheads should like it. There aren't any good melodies.
    ^^ Why I'm not a "proghead", Part 8,427.
    ...or you could love

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Though I like you for quoting me, but I really dislike Muse. Not only because of the horrid voice (IMO), but also for the theatrical sound of the music. That would sound weird coming from a prog-fan. But I see it this way: I like bombastic music, though I don't like pompous music. I like Big Music, but I don't like kitsch.

That said, I now realize I dislike most so-called 'new-prog' bands. For me they're most of the time overblown, without giving any real good music. Especially KScope and some InsideOut-bands that fall under that umbrella. But I guess the 'new-prog' phase has already passed.
    Muse isn't kitsch, they are the real thing.

I've tried listening to some of their music but it just doesn't do it for me. From the songs I've heard, there seems to be a lack of melody with an emphasis on having a huge sound which ends up sounding muddy to my ears. Not my cup of tea.

Wilton
    Wilton Said... , Toronto Art Rock.
    http://www.wiltonsaid.com

Punky folk music, not that I dislike it. I loved talking heads, just been there done that. "Roots Revival" = garage bands.

I ordered 2 of their CDs.

I know what you mean when you say "huge sound." It was just the intensity of that concert (Austin City Limits) that made me sit up & take notice. It's been a long while since a band had that kind of effect upon me. Rather rejuvenating. I hope their studio sound sustains my interest.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

For what it's worth, they all live in my neighbourhood, and a good friend of mine is their de facto touring physician. He says they are very good people, very down to earth and real. Musically not my cup of tea, but they're cool.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Love 'em...And they are apparently working on a new album right now.

Banned
    Found Funeral at my local Best Buy today for $9.99. Can't wait to play it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Found Funeral at my local Best Buy today for $9.99. Can't wait to play it.
    Actually, the CD was not included in the case. So, I went to Best Buy to get the CD that was suppose to be in the case. I like it. Sounds like a cross between Radiohead and The Beach Boys. Sounds like music from a film.