Thread: King Crimson News

how many drummers does it take to make one Bill Bruford?---apparently 3 but still like the sound of one Bill Bruford than 3 drummers.

From Toyah :
    "Because Bill [Rieflin] is neither with KING CRIMSON this year nor the HUMANS Robert is talking of re-releasing [sic] a live album of SUNDAY ALL OVER THE WORLD and a REMIXED version of KNEELING AT THE SHRINE because he will not record any new KC until Bill is back in action next year, this means SAOTW has his time and attention. I doubt the release will happen this year…….but it has gone into production as far as planning is concerned."

Fripp has also recently posted a video snippet from the League of Gentlemen live at Leeds on his FB page. Perhaps a hint ? Presumably there is film of the whole performance, perhaps this is one of the "unreleased gems from the 1980s being unearthed"... (afaik there has been no official mention of a KC 80's box).

3 drummers to make one Bill Bruford.... 4 drummers to make one Michael Giles....

Oh I'd be in for some Sunday All Over the World love.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Oh I'd be in for some Sunday All Over the World love.
    Me too!

So, my CD copy of the Live on Tokyo album came. Still listening to it, only partway through, so these are only preliminary thoughts. Good album; I am enjoying it. Collins and the three percussionists give this incarnation a distinct flavour, which is nice. Yet I do also hear sometimes a certain stiltedness, as others have commented on. It feels as if this group isn't letting loose, it occasionally misses that sense of sitting on a volcano, about to erupt, that I get from, say, live '70s Crimson. I've also been listening to Crimson! by the Delta Saxophone Quartet with Gwilym Simcock -- nice album BTW -- which sees the band exploring several Crimson pieces. That album somehow feels more alive than the live Crimson album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^ Mostly liking the album, but while Collins and 3 drummers add a distinct flavour, sometimes it feels like they're just allowed to tinker round the edges. These pieces have not been broken down and re-built for a new line-up (as you get with the Delta Saxophone Quartet or the Morgaua Quartet).

"Radical Action...", contrary to the name, is generic, Crimson-by-numbers piece. Thankfully, "Meltdown" is more interesting, but still needs work. "Red"... Ohmigod, this is the most plodding version I've ever heard.

Henry

Has Red ever been groovy? It's kind of a plodder by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ Mostly liking the album, but while Collins and 3 drummers add a distinct flavour, sometimes it feels like they're just allowed to tinker round the edges.
    I've been saying this since the new edition debuted: the three drummers are primarily there for the visual impact at the live shows, and in that respect it worked fantastically. Nothing wrong with just the music, IMO, but you are correct that the drummers weren't used to re-arrange the furniture in as meaningful a way as that might have - had that actually been the goal. In any event, the current version of King Crimson is so far ahead of its contemporaries that beefing about how much better such and such could have been seems silly to me. There isn't a single one of the still-functioning '70s prog bands that is anywhere close to King Crimson right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Has Red ever been groovy? It's kind of a plodder by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I've been saying this since the new edition debuted: the three drummers are primarily there for the visual impact at the live shows, and in that respect it worked fantastically. Nothing wrong with just the music, IMO, but you are correct that the drummers weren't used to re-arrange the furniture in as meaningful a way as that might have - had that actually been the goal. In any event, the current version of King Crimson is so far ahead of its contemporaries that beefing about how much better such and such could have been seems silly to me. There isn't a single one of the still-functioning '70s prog bands that is anywhere close to King Crimson right now.
    Dude... Well said!
    Still alive and well...

Gee whiz, is there any classic prog bands even left from the 1970's? No ELP sadly, no Genesis, a laughable, desperate YES, no Gentle Giant, a much less energetic Curved Air, a PFM with no Mussida or Premoli, no Neil Peart maybe no Rush? . Did I miss any? I'm sure I did, but really any of the big names left? Crimson is still the King.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Gee whiz, is there any classic prog bands even left from the 1970's? No ELP sadly, no Genesis, a laughable, desperate YES, no Gentle Giant, a much less energetic Curved Air, a PFM with no Mussida or Premoli, no Neil Peart maybe no Rush? . Did I miss any? I'm sure I did, but really any of the big names left? Crimson is still the King.
    Strawbs still exist with a pretty classic lineup, no? And there's still a Procol Harum, although Gary Brooker is the only old-time member left (unless you count Keith Reid), but last I heard he still sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Strawbs still exist with a pretty classic lineup, no? And there's still a Procol Harum, although Gary Brooker is the only old-time member left (unless you count Keith Reid), but last I heard he still sounds awesome.
    Agree, and I did miss a big one: Van Der Graaf Generator.

Oh yeah, duh!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Agree, and I did miss a big one: Van Der Graaf Generator.
    Aah yes... But none of these hold either the crown nor the sceptre!!!
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-23-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Aah yes... But none of these hold the either the crown nor the sceptre!!!
    I do admire Hammill, Banton and Evans in continuing VDGG, although their classic sound is IMO weak without the sax and flute. Even if they didn't ever want Jackson again, I wish they would fill that empty seat and balance the band again. Maybe they could borrow Mel Collins or get Ian McDonald?

. "Red"... Ohmigod, this is the most plodding version I've ever heard.

Henry
    Henry

When listening to the album for the first time today, my exact quote to a pal was, "Red does NOT need 3 drummers; man this live version is LUMPY."

You're welcome!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Henry

When listening to the album for the first time today, my exact quote to a pal was, "Red does NOT need 3 drummers; man this live version is LUMPY."

You're welcome!
    I see that I was right to have always considered you a wise man.

Henry

There isn't a single one of the still-functioning '70s prog bands that is anywhere close to King Crimson right now.
    Well, I wouldn't say that, although Crimson are doing many things right. But to throw out some suggestions... The UK reunion was playing great, but I guess they've just wound themselves up.

Marillion? Technically, they did begin in the 1970s... although their first show was in early 1980 and they were still called Silmarillion...

What about Soft Machine?

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I said a few weeks ago that I felt that the only artists left from that 60s/70s generation who were still delivering work on par with some of their best were David Bowie and Paul McCartney. Then Bowie died a few days later. It seems like Van Der Graaf Generator has been delivering the goods since they got back together too.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 03-24-2016 at 05:46 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

There's Magma.

What about Soft Machine?
    If mutations count, then you can also say Gong.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Red does NOT need 3 drummers; man this live version is LUMPY."
    The drum arrangement is the reason I mentioned Red as one of the songs that benefits from this lineup (albeit not as much as the 90s/00s pieces). It could use a bit more speed, but the staggered rhythms at least give it more of a changed flavor more than the band does with the other older stuff.

So, my CD copy of the Live on Tokyo album came. Still listening to it, only partway through, so these are only preliminary thoughts. Good album; I am enjoying it. Collins and the three percussionists give this incarnation a distinct flavour, which is nice. Yet I do also hear sometimes a certain stiltedness, as others have commented on. It feels as if this group isn't letting loose, it occasionally misses that sense of sitting on a volcano, about to erupt, that I get from, say, live '70s Crimson. I've also been listening to Crimson! by the Delta Saxophone Quartet with Gwilym Simcock -- nice album BTW -- which sees the band exploring several Crimson pieces. That album somehow feels more alive than the live Crimson album.

Henry
    Do you mean Live in Toronto?!

I agree that the music doesn't seem to have been particularly radically deconstructed for the 3 drummers - but, by contrast to what you're hearing, my impression listening was that it really came alive - that this format has allowed the band to find itself again, in a way, & to play with real elan.

I checked out the Delta Sax Quartet - both their reinterpretations of Crimson, & of Soft Machine. I have to say, I thought they were dreadful (especially so when compared, for instance, with the Crimson Jazz Trio [who actually manage to transform the originals into genuine jazz works, like Dylan Howe managed with his superb reinterpretations of Bowie's Berlin records])!

Well, I wouldn't say that, although Crimson are doing many things right. But to throw out some suggestions... The UK reunion was playing great, but I guess they've just wound themselves up.

Marillion? Technically, they did begin in the 1970s... although their first show was in early 1980 and they were still called Silmarillion...

What about Soft Machine?

Henry
    I don't count Marillion among King Crimson's 1970s peers. "'70s prog" is pretty self-explanatory, and existing for a minute or two at the end of the 1970s wouldn't qualify.

The others are good examples of older artists doing well, but they're not on the level of what King Crimson is doing, IMO.