Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2157

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I was just coming here to ask if anyone else felt that they were just throwing subtlety to the wind on this tour, after seeing the Beacon show last night. Not in a bad way by any means, but last night, for the first time (for me at least) it seemed like the songs were just there to hang completely over the top drum battles on. I loved it, TBH.
    That's how I felt about Thursday's show! That sort of "Crimson on Auto-pilot" feeling that others have posters have mentioned about KC since their comeback is gone and this show (and tour) seems to recall the savage Crimson shows of the 70s. Only wish that KC could've played longer (so I could hear "Easy Money", "Lizard", "Talking Drum", "LTIA II" and others) however I was Truly Impressed with the concert.

After 3 or 4 tours with huge setlists with multiple surprises, I definitely get the sense that they have pared down the set to the material they find this lineup does the strongest. It seems they are thinking of those 20-somethings who found Crimson on Spotify and are trying their absolute hardest to be the absolute best concert that hypothetical fan has ever seen. I saw the New Haven and Boston shows. The order of the set was markedly different but the only difference I can think of was Larks 1 in New Haven and Larks 2 in Boston. The arrangement of Larks 1 they are doing seems to be an example of this take no prisoners attitude. Rather than Mel's expansive flute solo in the middle section, Stacey plays the start of the violin part from the studio version on a cello sounding keyboard, and then they get into the coda rather quickly.

The energy in Boston was great--both band and crowd. New Haven was more reserved, possibly because we were all soaked to the skin.

I would have liked to have seen some songs that were stand-bys in previous tours--Cirkus and Easy Money spring to mind--but I can't argue with the seeming logic of these setlists.

I too wish I could have seen more of the "deep tracks" from previous tours, but I accepted the limited set list as a fine trade-off to be able to see the Zappa Band play a great set on the same concert.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Fripp and Wetton were both lefties playing right-handed.
    There's lots of left handed peopel who play the guitar right handed: Rik Emmett, Mark Knopfler, Steve Morse, me... (only way I can my name in the same company as those guys).

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yeah man! I just got back home with my daughter from the show. She LOVED it, and I did as well.

I don't even like Frank Zappa, but The Zappa Band absolutely killed it. They even brought on Jakko and Gavin for a number, which was cool.

My only negative is that I think during the first half of the show the three drummers sort of over-complicating some of the grooves. I saw lots of young folks wanting to headbang to Red and One More Red Nightmare, but they couldn't because all the wacky drumming going on.

However, from Indiscipline on the band was on absolute fire! Level 5 kicked all kinds of ass, and 21st Century Schizoid Man was super metal. Gavin's drum solo was just incredible.

One surprise is how much of the guitar duties Jakko handled. To me, he was the MVP of the night - he does such a great job singing all the different styles.

See Fripp smiling and giving thumbs up was nice to see. He looked like he was really having fun.

It was a great time and a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post

I don't even like Frank Zappa, but The Zappa Band absolutely killed it.
    Do you like Zappa more now?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do you like Zappa more now?
    I'm certainly going to revisit this catalogue. My main takeaway from the show is that if I could cut to vocal bits out and just get an album with Zappa instrumentals, I'd probably like it.

Not that The Zappa Band vocalists didn't do a great job, I just enjoyed the musical passages better than the vocal bits.

I'm certainly going to revisit this catalogue. My main takeaway from the show is that if I could cut to vocal bits out and just get an album with Zappa instrumentals, I'd probably like it.

Not that The Zappa Band vocalists didn't do a great job, I just enjoyed the musical passages better than the vocal bits.
    May I recommend Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar? It's an album consisting of, well, live guitar solos, and is available from A-zon for fifteen bucks, a bargain for a double CD.

Or, if you want full compositions, Jazz From Hell or The Yellow Shark. Both are odd albums, but very good.

H'mmm. TYS seems to be out of print, but here's a bit from the concerts it's taken from -- the Modern Ensemble, with Frank conducting and some frankly (ha-ha) irrelevant dancers, a number that Frank did originally on the Synclavier and thought to be unplayable -- the astonishing G-Spot Tornado.

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Here's Jakko sitting in with The Zappa Band the other night.

In addition to Sturgeon's Lawyer's recommendations (which are good ones, btw), I would also recommend Sleep Dirt, Grand Wazoo, and Studio Tan -- the latter of which is mostly instrumental, and the last two tracks "Revised Music for Guitar and Low-Budget Orchestra" and "RDNZL" are some of my favorite instrumentals he's ever done.
    Last edited by aith01; 09-13-2021 at 02:14 AM.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Yeah man! I just got back home with my daughter from the show. She LOVED it, and I did as well.

I don't even like Frank Zappa, but The Zappa Band absolutely killed it. They even brought on Jakko and Gavin for a number, which was cool.

My only negative is that I think during the first half of the show the three drummers sort of over-complicating some of the grooves. I saw lots of young folks wanting to headbang to Red and One More Red Nightmare, but they couldn't because all the wacky drumming going on.

However, from Indiscipline on the band was on absolute fire! Level 5 kicked all kinds of ass, and 21st Century Schizoid Man was super metal. Gavin's drum solo was just incredible.

One surprise is how much of the guitar duties Jakko handled. To me, he was the MVP of the night - he does such a great job singing all the different styles.

See Fripp smiling and giving thumbs up was nice to see. He looked like he was really having fun.

It was a great time and a great show.
    Nice, thanks for share !
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

86268283-7864-45C0-8E84-C5C2E43392A4.jpg

University of Rochester alumni mag.

I saw them in Lewiston NY and the show was outstanding! My first concert in over 2 years and I'm just happy it happened at all. My thoughts on the setlist - they wanted to get out and wrap up a U.S. tour one more (last most likely) time and it doesn't appear they had a heck of a lot of time to rehearse compared to previous years. In fact, from what I've read, some of these initial dates were in the "cross your fingers this even happens" mode.

If it's truly the last time I'm able to see them, it was a powerful show to go out on.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I loved that Lewiston gig too (both our set and KC’s)! A tour fave for me (Boston was another).

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I loved that Lewiston gig too (both our set and KC’s)! A tour fave for me (Boston was another).
    Yes, you guys played a fantastic set. Personal fave was "Florentine Pogen". First time I've been able to see you play live and really enjoyed your playing (and the band too of course!).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Mike - Really enjoyed your set in Boston, excellent stuff, seemed to get a very strong reaction from an enthusiastic crowd.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thank you Polska and Nogbad -

Yes the Boston crowd was absolutely wonderful. Love that venue too. Just a great day all around.

Just found out about a new book about KC:

Backbeat Books has just released the new book "Fifty Shades of Crimson: Robert Fripp and King Crimson" by Pete Tomsett on Kindle and paperback.

Here is the official synopsis: In 1969, five young Englishmen calling themselves King Crimson altered the course of rock music. With guitar virtuoso Robert Fripp at the helm, the progressive rock band flouted the conventions of rock 'n' roll while battling music business practices. For nearly five decades, King Crimson has continued to innovate and influence the music world, spawning many groundbreaking collaborations and inspiring other acclaimed bands, from Genesis and Yes to Nirvana and Radiohead.

Fifty Shades of Crimson tells the stories of this unique group and its leader, Robert Fripp, over the course of five remarkable decades. Tracing the arc of King Crimson's history-beginning with its initial rise to fame after supporting the Rolling Stones at Hyde Park and the release of its album In the Court of the Crimson King in 1969-this book chronicles how King Crimson became one of the most influential bands of its era. It also highlights Fripp's many collaborations (with Brian Eno, Andy Summers, and many others) and the bands that King Crimson members went on to form, including Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Foreigner, UK, and Asia.

Cycling through countless members, and rejecting Elton John and Bryan Ferry along the way, King Crimson has released many highly acclaimed albums and maintained a large global following. There are numerous spurious claims about bands changing the course of music, but Fripp and the members of King Crimson have done so several times over! Now, in Fifty Shades of Crimson, fans can get the behind-the-scene details of rock history in the making.

Pete Tomsett is an author who also dabbles in music, photography, and videos. An avid Fripp fan for over forty years, he was introduced to prog rock and jazz fusion at an early age by his older brother, developing a passion for imaginative music that goes beyond conventions and clichés. He lives in London.

Since 1991, Backbeat Books have been favorites among passionate music fans and musicians. Known for their depth, spirit, and authority, Backbeat offers a diverse range of books - from biographies and memoirs, critical examinations and histories, to authoritative volumes on musical instruments and instruction - covering all areas of rock 'n' roll, jazz, and beyond. Order the book here.

https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Just found out about a new book about KC:

Backbeat Books has just released the new book "Fifty Shades of Crimson: Robert Fripp and King Crimson" by Pete Tomsett on Kindle and paperback.

Here is the official synopsis: In 1969, five young Englishmen calling themselves King Crimson altered the course of rock music. With guitar virtuoso Robert Fripp at the helm, the progressive rock band flouted the conventions of rock 'n' roll while battling music business practices. For nearly five decades, King Crimson has continued to innovate and influence the music world, spawning many groundbreaking collaborations and inspiring other acclaimed bands, from Genesis and Yes to Nirvana and Radiohead.

Fifty Shades of Crimson tells the stories of this unique group and its leader, Robert Fripp, over the course of five remarkable decades. Tracing the arc of King Crimson's history-beginning with its initial rise to fame after supporting the Rolling Stones at Hyde Park and the release of its album In the Court of the Crimson King in 1969-this book chronicles how King Crimson became one of the most influential bands of its era. It also highlights Fripp's many collaborations (with Brian Eno, Andy Summers, and many others) and the bands that King Crimson members went on to form, including Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Foreigner, UK, and Asia.

Cycling through countless members, and rejecting Elton John and Bryan Ferry along the way, King Crimson has released many highly acclaimed albums and maintained a large global following. There are numerous spurious claims about bands changing the course of music, but Fripp and the members of King Crimson have done so several times over! Now, in Fifty Shades of Crimson, fans can get the behind-the-scene details of rock history in the making.

Pete Tomsett is an author who also dabbles in music, photography, and videos. An avid Fripp fan for over forty years, he was introduced to prog rock and jazz fusion at an early age by his older brother, developing a passion for imaginative music that goes beyond conventions and clichés. He lives in London.

Since 1991, Backbeat Books have been favorites among passionate music fans and musicians. Known for their depth, spirit, and authority, Backbeat offers a diverse range of books - from biographies and memoirs, critical examinations and histories, to authoritative volumes on musical instruments and instruction - covering all areas of rock 'n' roll, jazz, and beyond. Order the book here.

https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Can't imagine any book on Crim offering anything that wasn't covered in fantastic detail by Sid Smith already.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Indeed
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Can't imagine any book on Crim offering anything that wasn't covered in fantastic detail by Sid Smith already.
    I agree; the 2019 expanded edition of Sid Smith's book in particular covered Fripp & KC in more than enough detail for me. But Fifty Shades of Crimson is available just in case someone wants it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I plan our reading our own John Kelman's forthcoming book on King Crimson!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    7 years ago today I saw this incarnation of King Crimson for the first time in NYC. At the time I thought - "this is a dangerous place..." Mixed metaphor yes but it's what I thought at the time. When they opened with Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 1 I knew I was in for a treat...
    10547812_10202914234726048_4458121245791408788_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I plan our reading our own John Kelman's forthcoming book on King Crimson!
    Oh, I am too! I see that as a different animal though. Not a bio of the band but an analysis of different lineups from a fantastic writer. Autobuy.