Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

The eons are closing
    As pointed out on the DGM guestbook; it has been somewhat of a recent KC tradition that mini-LPs or EPs or whatever usually precede (e.g. help fund) new studio material.
    Vroom is a great example; Level 5 is another.

So, while I wanted the entire Saturday NYC show as a release (and maybe it will appear later on); I can purchase the January release with the likely outcome that it will not only serve as a 'taste' of what the Mark8 version can do; but will help ensure I hear more of that lineup.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm guessing there will be more live material released later.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Autobuy - I'm sure that full live sets will be following by the Spring - also an autobuy. I'm still getting goosebumps when I mentally revisit the Philly concert.

I am curious about the other 28 minutes or so of the album - studio material? more live stuff? I don't particularly care

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Physical format please!

And there is a lot to hope for that makes the cut...but I hope the new stuff certainly did.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I suspect Fripp is putting this out as a teaser for the Euro audiences without giving away the farm just yet.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's probably a min-album vs. a full document of the tour. That would probably be a two-disc release, at least.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    I'm still getting goosebumps when I mentally revisit the Philly concert.
    I was at that show, too. Cheers.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looks like new material and a live album of a complete live set from the US tour are in the works.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=28930

Excited. Dribble.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good news indeed!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Weee!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm dribbling too, but it's not from my mouth.

This IS pretty good news.

Interesting that the upcoming complete live album from the recent tour will be made up from all the gigs. Just give me the whole freakin' 2014 bundle!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Interesting that the upcoming complete live album from the recent tour will be made up from all the gigs. Just give me the whole freakin' 2014 bundle!
    I believe they have been recording concerts on multi-track (older recordings were mere stereo soundboards) for quite some time, so it would take quite a lot of effort and time to mix and pull together the 2014 bundle. I doubt the number of downloads would pay for that prolonged mixing at DGM HQ, so I presume this compilation would both gauge demand and pay the wages for that eventual mixing marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I believe they have been recording concerts on multi-track (older recordings were mere stereo soundboards) for quite some time, so it would take quite a lot of effort and time to mix and pull together the 2014 bundle. I doubt the number of downloads would pay for that prolonged mixing at DGM HQ, so I presume this compilation would both gauge demand and pay the wages for that eventual mixing marathon.
    Just to toes who were so outraged at the brevity of the first live album: I explained that doing what Jakko did in the time allotted was monumental and the 41 minutes we got? Just the beginning. Happy to see someone else acknowledging the time that needs to go into mixing multitrack recordings such as this....and that' as I predicteded, Live at the Orpheum was just the first shot off the bow.

And new Mateial too? Great news all around!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just to toes who were so outraged at the brevity of the first live album: I explained that doing what Jakko did in the time allotted was monumental and the 41 minutes we got? Just the beginning. Happy to see someone else acknowledging the time that needs to go into mixing multitrack recordings such as this....and that' as I predicteded, Live at the Orpheum was just the first shot off the bow.

And new Mateial too? Great news all around!
    And not just new material. But apparently a couple stabs at a blues.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    And not just new material. But apparently a couple stabs at a blues.
    Blues as Crimson plays it, that is. I'm intrigued by the idea, but then I've also liked "Potato Pie" a lot more than apparently most.

The brass and second guitar solos in Starless are a blues progression. I can understand excitement about new material but don't understand why a crimson take on a blues would be special or new.

Pictures and Schizoid have blues motifs as well...someone pointed out to me 3oaPP, the song, is a Cm blues progression wise as well...

^^ Forgot about those. 3OAPP's chorus is also a i iv v in Am.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Blues as Crimson plays it, that is. I'm intrigued by the idea, but then I've also liked "Potato Pie" a lot more than apparently most.
    "Potato Pie" has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

King Crimson to open for themselves with acoustic set- http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5095
    ***KC Unplugged

:: Posted by Sid Smith on Wed., Apr 1, 2015

The support act for the forthcoming King Crimson tour will be King Crimson - unplugged!

In addition to Crimso playing a 20 minute set of KC-related material on acoustic instruments at each of the dates already announced, the group are also also to make low-key acoustic only appearance at this year's Green Man Festival, as a warm-up for the KC tour proper later that month.

This perhaps surprising announcement comes after an equipment failure at last week’s full rehearsals. While the electrics were being fixed, Fripp and Jakszyk reverted to acoustic instruments in order to carry on their work. “We turned a disadvantage into an advantage” comments Fripp in his April 1st dairy published later today.

There’s no indication yet as to which numbers will be covered but the phrase “KC-related” opens up the possibility of Guitar Craft repertoire as well as solo material from Jakszyk and Rieflin also under consideration. ***
    (April Fools?! or does Fripp actually break out "Peace:A Theme" to start the evening off?)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

April Fools...where's the diary entry?

Seems like as good candidate for an April Fools joke as someone as up-tight as Robert Fripp is able to muster.

Most other bands could make such an announcement and nobody would bat an eye. With Fripp, this qualifies as daring hijinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Actually, there isn't any. BUT IF THERE WAS it would go here, I imagine....
    Times do change, don't they.

Anyway, KCCC #42 is finally getting a release.

Here's the particulars from DGM:
    "Details coming soon for this long awaited release, and we will be adding this to the shop this month as a pre order. For those keeping track, we have released Clubs through 47 but 42 was previously put on hold, and we are thrilled it is finally being released."

Looks like there's a new club to join, too:
    "We know that many of you miss the early days of the King Crimson Collectors' Club, and with the number of Club releases being far less frequent, bringing back this in its old format did not make sense. We have also had requests for a t-shirt Club, but that too seemed a bit limited. So, after much thought, we have created a hybrid Club, offering tremendous savings to our most avid customers. The Frequent Flier program remains a free club offering discounts and access to exclusive items, and we have made absolutely no changes to this program. As noted in the ornament description above, Frequent Fliers automatically receive a $5.00 discount on this item, and will receive exclusive savings on future box sets as we have done in the past.

"The Schizoid Club is a way for our customers who tend to purchase most items we offer to save a bundle. The Club runs on a yearly basis, but anyone signing up this December will receive a few additional weeks of Club savings as memberships will not expire until January 1, 2017.

"Included in the Club will be three t-shirt designs, solely available to Club members, released at three times through the year. We will send these three designs to you, and no shipping or handling will be charged. Members may opt to receive in stock designs in lieu of each Club shirt design, should they so choose.

"Schizoid Club members will also be given a 10% discount on the sub total (excluding s&h) of each order they place, and this is in addition to other discounts being offered.

"Also, Schizoid Club members will receive a 25% discount on all KCCC releases. As mentioned, we will be releasing Club 42 soon."

Well, less interested in this new club, but new KCCC releases would be excellent--though I suppose there's no specific indication that that is happening.

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/schizoid-club-p1533.aspx
    Last edited by polmico; 12-07-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    (April Fools?! or does Fripp actually break out "Peace:A Theme" to start the evening off?)
    I'd like to see an unplugged rendition of "One In A Million".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.