Thread: King Crimson News

Just wanted to share my chat with Jakko J from a few days ago, in case any of you missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    At first, I was concerned about Frippy's well being (more mental than physical) between the hands of the missus in those vids, but he redressed the balance after a few weeks....

However I think we're losing both now

Where's the Frippster's red latex jumpsuit then?

Squat Cobbler?

Not sure why the band dislikes the current version of "Exiles." Sounds pretty good to these ears.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Not sure why the band dislikes the current version of "Exiles." Sounds pretty good to these ears.
    I agree. Maybe it is too high in Jakko's range? I love Exiles and went straight to it when I got the 2020 Tour Box. I would've been down for 2 guitar solos rather than 1 like they did in the 70s, but it is a good arrangement for that band. It is like them to base their arrangement on the studio version rather than on live versions from a totally different group of personalities and instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I agree. Maybe it is too high in Jakko's range? I love Exiles and went straight to it when I got the 2020 Tour Box. I would've been down for 2 guitar solos rather than 1 like they did in the 70s, but it is a good arrangement for that band. It is like them to base their arrangement on the studio version rather than on live versions from a totally different group of personalities and instruments.
    didnt sound like he was vocally struggling w/ the tune though? I thought current band version of Exiles was EXCELLENT and glad to hear them doing it - good vocal from jakko, classic fripp-style laser beam solo, and jakko & tony even got to sing some harmonies in the latter parts of the song!

Sheltering SKy i thought was cool too with the addition of the flute and piano to it.....not going to complain about a tune that basically features a ton of fripp guitar soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post

Sheltering SKy i thought was cool too with the addition of the flute and piano to it.....not going to complain about a tune that basically features a ton of fripp guitar soloing.
    Stacey's piano contributions to this, the re-arranged "Red" and "Suitable Grounds" are all excellent. He adds a bit of Keith Tippett-like quality. Very much appreciated.

Harrison and Jakko's demo of "Frame by Frame" is quite good, too. Hopefully the band add this to the setlist when they tour next summer.

If they tour next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Stacey's piano contributions to this, the re-arranged "Red" and "Suitable Grounds" are all excellent. He adds a bit of Keith Tippett-like quality. Very much appreciated.

Harrison and Jakko's demo of "Frame by Frame" is quite good, too. Hopefully the band add this to the setlist when they tour next summer.

If they tour next summer.
    They did play frame by frame a bit in 2019, so that’s in scope for them now.

I’m curious wheb stuff like elektrik. Frame by frame, and larks 4 will get released versions by current band. Imagine they’ll have something out from 2019 by next summer....

Hat off to Colgan, Smith and Singleton and anybody else who put another great box together.
    To me, these releases don't get the attention they deserve. (For some reason I'd always assumed that it was mainly Singleton, but apparently not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Hat off to Colgan, Smith and Singleton and anybody else who put another great box together.
    To me, these releases don't get the attention they deserve. (For some reason I'd always assumed that it was mainly Singleton, but apparently not.)

These releases absolutely don't get the attention they deserve. This one is one of the most interesting of the bunch, up there with 2014 and 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    This one is one of the most interesting of the bunch
    It’s my favorite thus far.

How about this... after you've listened to the box and heard Trees in all its horrendous sound quality, check out this cover version by people who closely studied the piece from the Marquee Club disc:

Is it just me, or does some of that sound like it wound up as part of "Islands"? (I mean some of the harmonic sequences).
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Could be. Some people have claimed to hear primordial versions of things that ended up on Poseidon and McDonald+Giles in the 18 minute long Marquee piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Is it just me, or does some of that sound like it wound up as part of "Islands"? (I mean some of the harmonic sequences).
    Yeah. I hear it now, too.

Thanks for posting that, Dave. It was really cool to hear it in a crisper light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Could be. Some people have claimed to hear primordial versions of things that ended up on Poseidon and McDonald+Giles in the 18 minute long Marquee piece.
    The 18-minute Trees has an obvious instrumental run-through of Pictures of a City starting at about 3 minutes in. I'm sure there's more references after that but the listening gets pretty painful.

As for the pastoral intro, it does seem like you could sing the verse of Islands over it very naturally.

What exactly was "Trees" anyway? If I had to guess I would say it was a soundcheck. Fripp may have named it only for the Marquee release. Anyone know?

Here's another cover of a portion of Trees.

I can hear bits of "Islands", "Suite in C" & "Birdman" (McDonald & Giles) in "Trees".

not exactly "news", but...

Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 07:03 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.