Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post

Not a spoiler, but looking at pics it looks like Jeremy added another keyboard and that both tony and jakko have keys in their rigs, so guess they’re not dropping tunes due to being a man down, but rather re-distributing parts! We certainly shall see!

I wonder if Levin is playing keyboard parts or synth bass parts (as he did in the '80s).

We shall indeed see; I've got tix for the Atlanta gig in September!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

King Crimson News

Hello Gang!
    An article published today in one of the most rotated newspapers in Costa Rica dedicated to the 50th
    anniv. of El Rey Carmesí:

- This is something rare, strange, unexpected and special without a doubt. -

A89057EC-8D8C-4450-A928-FBDA77329C18.jpg
    89ACF027-84C6-4927-B271-A1D38BE9D3AA.jpg
    5DEDA563-946F-49D1-9FE9-E3377B2835EF.jpg
    DBE3AE6A-8C36-4C60-A350-0E62606AD993.jpg

Just wanted to share it.

Regards,
    Tomas.
    Last edited by TCC; 06-13-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    King Crimson News

Hello Gang!
    An article published today in one of the most rotated newspapers in Costa Rica dedicated to the 50th
    anniv. of El Rey Carmesí:

- This is something rare, strange, unexpected and special without a doubt. -

Just wanted to share it.

Regards,
    Tomas.
    Very cool. I think most prog bands are always caught a little off-guard when they see how popular they are in Central/South America.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Very cool. I think most prog bands are always caught a little off-guard when they see how popular they are in Central/South America.
    Exactly!
    Two good examples:
    - Queen - Argentina 1981.
    - Rush - Brasil 2002.

- King Crimson:
    It’s incredible, for me, the large base of loyal fans that KC has in México!! (with it, the 3 “Américas” are cover: North, Central & South ;-) ):

- 6 dates confirmed for this 2019’s 50th anniv. tour:
    . 4 in D.F. plus
    . 2 in Guadalajara.

Crazy!!.

https://www.dgmlive.com/tours?liveshow=on

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 06-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Exactly!
    Two good examples:
    - Queen - Argentina 1981.
    - Rush - Brasil 2002.

- King Crimson:
    It’s incredible, for me, the large base of loyal fans that KC has in México!! (with it, the 3 “Américas” are cover: North, Central & South ;-) ):

- 6 dates confirmed for this 2019’s 50th anniv. tour:
    . 4 in D.F. plus
    . 2 in Guadalajara.

Crazy!!.

https://www.dgmlive.com/tours?liveshow=on

Regards!.
    I remember the video Marillion put out around the time Steve Hogarth joined. It ended with footage of them playing Caracas or somewhere to like 200,000 people and being utterly flabbergasted by the reception. Thousands of people were singing along to the songs and until then they didn't even know they had fans there!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The eons are closing
    From Stoke Row to Ipanema.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/k...tuttgart-shows

Frame by frame has been debuted it seems....curious how jakko will sound on it!

So far this tour the new ones are: sheltering sky, elektrik, cat food, and frame by frame....we’ll see what else is on tap!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

So far this tour the new ones are: sheltering sky, elektrik, cat food, and frame by frame....we’ll see what else is on tap!
    I certainly hope they keep SS in the repertoire. One of my favs, would love to see it done in September.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Catching up on this thread (to which I hadn't replied on purpose so it doesn't pop up in my subscribed thread constantly and not be tempted on the endless flow of big boxsets),...

It's taken me decades, but I've finally come to deal with the Earthbound sonic issues and can now enjoy its extended version (40th anniv)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I enjoy Summit Studios quite a bit, but I prefer Live in Detroit, and even Jacksonville (despite the Earthbound-esque sound quality). No one talks about Live at the Marquee by this lineup very much, but the sound quality is just as good as Summit Studios. And of course the best version of 21st Century Schizoid Man is on Earthbound. Think of it as a pricey CD single with some baffling b-sides.
    my main gripe with Summit Studio is that my copy is on the DVD-A of the Earthbound 40th, so I can only listen to it on my computer

I guess I'll have to splurge for a stand-alone CD version... or is there a way to engrave a DVD onto a CD-r??

The end of Lady of the Dancing Water is definitely cut off in Detroit. I think the Marquee show might be the one where Boz has a cold and is pretty low energy. I don't mind low energy Boz, though. It makes the low tempo version of Cirkus sound even funnier. It sounds like prehistoric animals scuttling through a swamp.
    mmmhh!!!... I would definitely settle for an earlier gig to hear more from Poseidon and Lizard albums (like Mars, Cirkus and Lady), like Live At Plymouth Guildhall, May 11, 1971...
    How are the sonics on that one ??

Or is there a better recording with a similar (and amazing) set list??

Cirkus 10:08
    Pictures Of A City 8:53
    Sailor's Tale 15:32
    The Letters 4:48
    Lady Of The Dancing Water 2:52
    Cadence And Cascade 4:24
    Get Thy Bearings 13:24
    In The Court Of The Crimson King 8:09
    Ladies Of The Road 9:05
    21st Century Schizoid Man 8:58
    Mars 9:12
    Last edited by Trane; 06-18-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    my main gripe with Summit Studio is that my copy is on the DVD-A of the Earthbound 40th, so I can only listen to it on my computer

I guess I'll have to splurge for a stand-alone CD version... or is there a way to engrave a DVD onto a CD-r??
    This is exactly the question I was going to ask as I am about to buy the 40th anniversary edition of Earthbound. Other threads relating to recent King Crimson box sets suggest people are burning off their DVD discs, but I don’t know how this is done (being fairly limited in my computing skills). As regards the Summit Studios tracks, the Earthbound 40th anniversary version (according to the Wikipedia entry on Earthbound, and I cannot check this until I have the CD) gives the playtime of ‘The Creator Has A Master Plan (including Summit & Something Else)’ as plus 38 minutes, whereas the DGM disc gives it as just over 15 minutes. So it looks like the Earthbound version of the Summit concert is the definitive one. But I too don’t want to listen to it on my computer’s speakers and would love to be able to move all the DVD music on to a CD and listen to it on my full system.

mmmhh!!!... I would definitely settle for an earlier gig to hear more from Poseidon and Lizard albums (like Mars, Cirkus and Lady), like Live At Plymouth Guildhall, May 11, 1971...
    How are the sonics on that one ??

Or is there a better recording with a similar (and amazing) set list??

Cirkus 10:08
    Pictures Of A City 8:53
    Sailor's Tale 15:32
    The Letters 4:48
    Lady Of The Dancing Water 2:52
    Cadence And Cascade 4:24
    Get Thy Bearings 13:24
    In The Court Of The Crimson King 8:09
    Ladies Of The Road 9:05
    21st Century Schizoid Man 8:58
    Mars 9:12
    Welcome back to the thread! I don't blame you for not wanting to be tempted by the mega box sets. I can't justify the expense myself, though I do cherish a copy of Road to Red that I saved my pennies for last year.

The sound quality on Plymouth is good--its a soundtrack blended with a bootleg (for audience noise and ambiance). I'd say the sound quality is as good as Detroit, though the performance isn't as good. If I remember correctly, this captures one of this band's very first shows in England after their debut at the Zoom Club. The version of Sailor's Tale is quite sketchy and early. I think its entirely lacking the middle section where the iconic guitar solo is. It is mainly the theme, a bunch of jamming, then the theme again.

It has the version of The Letters from Ladies of the Road. According to Wikipedia, the version of Get Thy Bearings from Plymouth also made its way onto Ladies of the Road, but I don't think so. On the Plymouth show there must have been a reel change, as the start is missing and the sound quality is audience tape worthy until the dreaded VSC3 drum solo.

The version of Lady of the Dancing Water and Cadence and Cascade are both lovely (and worth the price of admission, practically), even though you can tell Boz isn't into it. I get the sense that this lineup eliminating much of their early repertoire by the end of the Earthbound tour was not only a function of the relationships in the band breaking down and Collins/Boz/Wallace faction wanting to do something more earthy and jammy, but also that Boz simply was uninterested in singing the soft stuff. I wonder if this is why Islands never stuck with the band?

I don't mind Boz's supposedly out-of-it voice. I've listened to as much indie rock as prog, and so I'm familiar with the whole phenomenon of "this song is too earnest to be cool, so I will just sing it as pretty as I can behind a wall of ironic remove".

Ladies of the Road is sketchy and a little different from the studio version. Its as high energy as any version I've ever heard. (As dumb as the lyrics are, it surprises me that the Islands band didn't make this a live centerpiece. I wonder if that type of Beatles-esque stuff was a bit uncool with the boogie crowd back then.)

Also, the version of In the Court of the Crimson King rules. It has quite a bit of fuzz bass. It sounds more "Crimson" than most live versions I've heard.

The 21st Century Schizoid Man version is great. This lineup could play the hell out of that song from the very beginning.

Mars is typical for this lineup. Dual mellotrons is awesome. VSC3 sound effects are not awesome.

In terms of being an interesting and unique listen that gives you a new perspective on a lineup, this is one of the best KCCC volumes in my opinion. I play this more than any of that stuff other than the London 1996 stuff, Detroit 1971, or Mainz '74.

I'd be interested in hearing some other stuff from the late 1971 American tour (the tour that began with the Detroit show). Not interested enough to buy a mega box set, but interested.

The Earthbound tour stuff is good too, but very different. The set list was shorter and less expansive, but Fripp was playing angry! And the band seemed to change with the weather--sometimes fast and tight, sometimes lethargic and loose, and everything in between. Sometime soon I'll get around to getting Boston, Denver, and Orlando '72. Because I like the Jacksonville show way more than I ever thought I would. I don't mind the dodgy sound quality. I'd rather have that than even the best audience tape (sorry Central Park '74).

Tuned percussion for Frame By Frame's first verse. Sounded like they were still working it out a bit to be honest. EleKtriK sounded amazing.

In terms of being an interesting and unique listen that gives you a new perspective on a lineup, this is one of the best KCCC volumes in my opinion.

I play this more than any of that stuff other than the London 1996 stuff, Detroit 1971, or Mainz '74.
    thanks, I'll hunt it down
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

thanks, I'll hunt it down
    ^^^ "I would definitely settle for an earlier gig to hear more from Poseidon and Lizard albums (like Mars, Cirkus and Lady), like Live At Plymouth Guildhall, May 11"

Trane, you might want to track down the recording of the Green's Playhouse, Glasgow, gig, on 28th May - a couple of weeks after the Plymouth Guildhall gig. It's available from DGM Live, & the sound quality is excellent.
    https://www.dgmlive.com/albums/greens-playhouse

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

Trane, you might want to track down the recording of the Green's Playhouse, Glasgow, gig, on 28th May - a couple of weeks after the Plymouth Guildhall gig. It's available from DGM Live, & the sound quality is excellent.
    https://www.dgmlive.com/albums/greens-playhouse
    and probably easier to track down, thx

Edit: the timing of the tracks are fairly different and the Glasgow gig seems to have two tracks fewer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I wonder if Levin is playing keyboard parts or synth bass parts (as he did in the '80s).

We shall indeed see; I've got tix for the Atlanta gig in September!
    He seems to use the keyboard mostly to trigger bass pedal sounds. The only time I saw him actually touch the keyboard was towards the end of either Epitaph or In the Court, iirc. Fripp played more keys than anyone outside Stacey, and Jakko only during the ItCotCK coda.

Thoughts after the 2 RAH gigs I'm seeing. Generally, they seem looser with more space to jam than previously. I think there's more time when only one of the drummers is drumming (as opposed to percussion but hard to see from the floor) which allows for more freedom. The end of Starless sounds much less clunky now than it did, it was magnificent tonight with a lot more urgency to the solos.

They are all having a lot of fun up there but I did wonder if a reduction to 2 drummers might occur to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised to see full improv soon. My only criticism would be to spice things up setlist wise but I appreciate that a lot of what they aren't playing is very Belew-heavy and so may be difficult or not feel right to do it. I'd love to see the Great Deceiver or Lament for example.

Lastly, I bet they play Fracture tomorrow as I'm not going.....

So are the boxsets available yet? Link said sometime mid-June?

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Thoughts after the 2 RAH gigs I'm seeing. Generally, they seem looser with more space to jam than previously. I think there's more time when only one of the drummers is drumming (as opposed to percussion but hard to see from the floor) which allows for more freedom. The end of Starless sounds much less clunky now than it did, it was magnificent tonight with a lot more urgency to the solos.

They are all having a lot of fun up there but I did wonder if a reduction to 2 drummers might occur to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised to see full improv soon. My only criticism would be to spice things up setlist wise but I appreciate that a lot of what they aren't playing is very Belew-heavy and so may be difficult or not feel right to do it. I'd love to see the Great Deceiver or Lament for example.

Lastly, I bet they play Fracture tomorrow as I'm not going.....
    Thanks for that - I was there last night as well, and agree about the 2/3 drummers comment. I never saw the eight-piece lineup (with a dedicated keyboard player), but that would clearly leave more space for all three drummers to do their thing. I've seen their uncanny interplay at the start of "Indiscipline" on the "Meltdown" video, but watching the way they dissect and reassemble the beat in person was simply astonishing. As, I have to say, was the whole show: dancing just this side of a bloody awful row one minute, heartbreaking pastoral the next. I enjoyed it even more than when I saw them in 2015; on that occasion, I think sitting too close to the stage meant the three drummers were a bit too loud. Sitting further back in the hall gives a better balance.

I had similar thoughts about "Fracture", but hey - they have so many good tunes from such a vast and varied back catalogue to choose from.

Lastly, I was really pleased to pick up the Audio Diary set at the merchandise stall; this is a 5CD (2014-2018) version of the "Exclusive collectors’ 4 CD Audio Diary of highlights from 2014, 2015, 2106, 2017 King Crimson tours" which was part of the Royal package last year. 59 tracks, each taken from a different date on those five tours; I'm playing the first CD now and it sounds fantastic. Unlike the Tour Box, which they've re-jigged for each tour, it doesn't seem to be available from the DGM store. It's amazing value at £25: recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    Thanks for that - I was there last night as well, and agree about the 2/3 drummers comment. I never saw the eight-piece lineup (with a dedicated keyboard player), but that would clearly leave more space for all three drummers to do their thing. I've seen their uncanny interplay at the start of "Indiscipline" on the "Meltdown" video, but watching the way they dissect and reassemble the beat in person was simply astonishing. As, I have to say, was the whole show: dancing just this side of a bloody awful row one minute, heartbreaking pastoral the next. I enjoyed it even more than when I saw them in 2015; on that occasion, I think sitting too close to the stage meant the three drummers were a bit too loud. Sitting further back in the hall gives a better balance.

I had similar thoughts about "Fracture", but hey - they have so many good tunes from such a vast and varied back catalogue to choose from.

Lastly, I was really pleased to pick up the Audio Diary set at the merchandise stall; this is a 5CD (2014-2018) version of the "Exclusive collectors’ 4 CD Audio Diary of highlights from 2014, 2015, 2106, 2017 King Crimson tours" which was part of the Royal package last year. 59 tracks, each taken from a different date on those five tours; I'm playing the first CD now and it sounds fantastic. Unlike the Tour Box, which they've re-jigged for each tour, it doesn't seem to be available from the DGM store. It's amazing value at £25: recommended.
    The 4-CD version seems to be going for over $100 in the resale market. I love that the band seems to be aggressively dealing with the aftermarket value of their rare products. Cleaning up and selling bootlegs, packaging out-of-print rarities into megaboxes, reissuing older megaboxes, even updating and reissuing Sid's book. I think they're genuinely making an effort to make their work available to us at reasonable prices. And they get to make money from the sales too!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post

Indiscipline is always a highlight, I think they built on some of the jamming from the first night in it. Especially the round where they were trying to put Levin off.

Also got the box, actually witnessed 3 of the songs!

Still about my current Crimson binge, I'd like to have

The Burrell-Wallace line-op, I'm now set with everything I need (Earthbound/Summit, Ladies From the Road set and the Plymouth set to come)

the Wetton line-up, I've got the Great Deceiver , USA and Nightwatch sets, which is basically all I need.

the Ade-Levin line-up, I've got the Absent Lover set and I'm good with that.

I'll worry about the 90-00's line-up later, but I will need some pointers (knowing that I love Thrak, and Power, but not DeKconstruction), so I'm fone for now

Sooooooooooo, I now would like to find one good live from the Lake-Giles-McD era: knowing that I really wasn't impressed with the sound quality of the first Epitaph boxset (I had borrowed it from my library system some 20 years ago), are there any acceptable sounding live recordings of that first line-up??

DGM has "Neurotica" and "Last Skirmish" from the current tour up to download.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    DGM has "Neurotica" and "Last Skirmish" from the current tour up to download.
    Nice.

I thought they were stopping this one download per show thing, but good to see them keep up with it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.