Page 24 of 86 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Apparently you'll soon be able to enjoy your KC in glorious 320 kbps:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...potify-818686/
    I already can. I put the CD in the drive, set the bit rate to 320 kbps, and let 'er rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    "In the court of the Crimson King"
    Of course. THanks

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...YLWGWMSjpGZJcQ

Good recap of the press conference^^

The eons are closing
    ^^Thnx Sean! It was a good recap.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Cosmic F*Kc? What a horrible, vulgar name for the documentary. I'm disappointed that Robert Fripp agreed to that. Yuck.

It is not censored in the video.

More of the ongoing, astonishing love-fest between RS and KC. Hell has truly frozen over.

Oh, and interesting note that Fripp was prepared to tap Steve Hackett to replace him in KC when he left in '74. Not sure I had ever heard that. Has anyone ever asked SH about that?
    Last edited by Paulrus; 04-09-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He talks about there being no King Crimson without his involvement. 20-some years ago he wrote about being open to the idea of a Frippless Crim, should events dictate such a thing. I wonder if he's got an injunction against anyone resurrecting the name after he's not around.

I don't see what his objection to Stick Men playing KC repertoire is. You can't tell me that the version of Sailor's Tale on Roppongi isn't great, for instance. It sounds every bit as vital as the versions that the '14-'19 Crim has done.

But Crimson hadn't entered the building.

Thé Hackett story is about 1997-98, not 1974 !! This was after Fripp and Lake fell out for good and Fripp wanted either Wetton to replace Lake, or Hackett to replace him, as possible alternatives to the now impossible full réunion of the original line-up. There were advanced plans for at least a tour of Japan but McDonald was dead against Fripp’s suggested alternatives. It was either the original 4 or nothing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Thé Hackett story is about 1997-98, not 1974 !! This was after Fripp and Lake fell out for good and Fripp wanted either Wetton to replace Lake, or Hackett to replace him, as possible alternatives to the now impossible full réunion of the original line-up. There were advanced plans for at least a tour of Japan but McDonald was dead against Fripp’s suggested alternatives. It was either the original 4 or nothing for him.
    Ah so. I had no idea there were plans to resurrect the original lineup in the late 90s.

And does anyone know why Fripp and Lake "fell out for good"?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't see what his objection to Stick Men playing KC repertoire is. You can't tell me that the version of Sailor's Tale on Roppongi isn't great, for instance. It sounds every bit as vital as the versions that the '14-'19 Crim has done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    But Crimson hadn't entered the building.
    He's just saying he didn't like it, no reason for us to not love it. Fripp being Fripp (& I don't mind it for a second)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I enjoyed it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He didn't raise any objections to Stick Men playing Crimson material, he expressed disappointment and frustration at one specific Crimson ProjeKct gig he attended (which was Stick Men and Belew's Power Trio mashed together). He has given the thumbs up multiple times over the years to other groups or artists covering Crimson.
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 04-09-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    He didn't raise any objections to Stick Men playing Crimson material, he expressed disappointment and frustration at one specific Crimson ProjeKct gig he attended (which was Stick Men and Belew's Power Trio mashed together). He has given the thumbs up multiple times over the years to other groups or artists covering Crimson.
    This is how I read it as well. That, for whatever reason in his mind, the smashing together of these two bands didn't work to adequately cover the material. It didn't seem to bleed into either band as a independent entity.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I caught that tour when they came through the Bay Area, and I have an idea why it may have cheesed Fripp off. But he's definitely NOT the audience that show was aimed at!

I'm curious: is RF on record regarding 21st Century Schizoid Band? I'm guessing he gave it a thumb's up since he came up with the name, plus it's how he connected with Jakko.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    The report in the RS article is clearly about 1974 - don't know if they got it right or not but that's the report.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    The report in the RS article is clearly about 1974 - don't know if they got it right or not but that's the report.
    Fripp has spoken for years of trying to get McDonald to continue on with Wetton & Bruford as Crimson in '74. I think he was expressing his feeling that Hackett would have been a good guitarist to call upon at that time had they decided to go for it.

He also mentioned Hackett as a possible replacement for himself in the 1997-1998 touring if McDonald would only go forward with Lake (which Fripp was not going to do) ...

The final falling out between Fripp and Lake was at the NYC Epitaph event. Fripp let the other three stranded on some balcony while giving solo interviews, which Lake felt was humiliating. Lake went on to criticize DGM’s output, in particular how Fripp paid a fortune for some artwork which reduced the band members’ share considerably (this was primarily about Epitaph I think). Of course things had been difficult between them since the infamous 1977 ‘Limo incident’ (see Sid’s book for a detailed account).

I wonder why Fripp hated the Crimson ProjeKct? I saw them multiple times. Thought they were great.

Because Robert Fripp is an evil, selfish monster who loves to crush the dreams of those who have different opinions of him through his reckless expression of his own opinions.

OR

Because different strokes. You liked it. I liked the show I saw. He didn't enjoy it.

Given that he is, you know, SIGNIFICANTLY MORE CONNECTED to that material than you or I or roughly 99.9% of everyone else who listens to KC music, I'd say he has that right. With gusto even. And he didn't say he hated the projekct or the players, just that he heard the music being played and did not hear King Crimson (which actually keeps nicely in line with his notion of King Crimson as being some sort of "other" that comes through the music when the stars align, so to speak).

I don't even disagree with him on this, even if *I* personally got considerable enjoyment out of the show. I feel the same at the Roger Waters shows I've seen; they are amazing, the tunes are played with care + respect for their legacy but at no time did I close my eyes and go "OMG this, THIS is Pink Floyd." If Gilmour or Mason or the ghost of Wright were to attend one of his shows...I wouldn't be shocked to hear them say something similar.

Sometimes I think folks are just looking for reasons to vilify him. Ironic, given that it kind of seems like he is in a really happy/peaceful place with his musical legacy. Frankly, I think it's wonderful to read/see.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fully agree, the Waters gig is classic occurrence of not feeling like Floyd, good show but not the vibe. If anyone is going to know it's Crimson or not when he hears it then its Fripp. I am interested in his comments that Crimson will end when he ends it, no post-Fripp versions of Crimson as that seems to be a change of position. Personally I tend to agree with that position but it comes down to a personal case by case basis on how the band 'feels'. I'm actually ok with the new Gong without Daevid given he blessed them and they sounded like Gong when I saw them, whereas Ian Anderson plays Jethro Tull didn't feel like them at all. I think I have to see them live before my 'gut' makes up its mind.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don’t vilify Fripp, just a bit stunned by his assessment of Adrian’s and Tony’s projeKct, which I loved. Even though Fripp is a founder and the leader of King Crimson, honestly I don’t consider his opinion on the matter to be more significant or legitimate than mine.

Then you are mistaken, but you are of course welcome to your opinion.

To elaborate: you love King Crimson. So do I. Robert Fripp created the music of King Crimson, in part or in whole depending on the songs/era. We listen as outsiders, he is hearing something that contains a piece of his musical/creative DNA. To even suggest that your appreciation/opinion is somehow on the same wavelength as the actual creator of work, when listening to others perform said creations...

...like I said, you are mistaken.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com