Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson News

It's revealed, and I'm seriously 100% not lying when I say I was walking back from Subway with my 12" BMT just now thinking that they should probably bundle everything from Wake to Islands into one box set. And this is the first thing I saw when I got back to my desk:

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-cr...eid=e476517d29

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cheaper at the shed,

https://burningshed.com/store/kingcr...s-tales_boxset

I never thought I'd own a copy of Earthbound on Blu-Ray.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-07-2017 at 01:51 PM.

There's also a stand alone expanded Earthbound, for those of us who love the hell out of this album.

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-cr...ies-p1700.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Do they take off the VAT when you check out? I was surprised to see it still listed in my cart after I selected yankee dollahs.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yikes!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I will be seeing the 8-man Crim soon, but there's no way I'll spend another penny on Islands or Earthbound. I appreciate that some of us love this "lost era" of the band, but count me among those (few? many?) that aren't interested. Enjoy it, all ye of so-inclination.

fairly excited for this though I think I would prefer if they finally moved on and finished the discography.

still will be nice to have the full debut-thrak in big box form.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I will be seeing the 8-man Crim soon, but there's no way I'll spend another penny on Islands or Earthbound. I appreciate that some of us love this "lost era" of the band, but count me among those (few? many?) that aren't interested. Enjoy it, all ye of so-inclination.
    Thanks for letting us know.

I'm in. Live, the Islands band had some obvious limitations, and they were playing material that was difficult for any four people to play live (let alone these four). And the fracturing of the band (3/4 of us want to be a groovy blues band!) on the American tour in '72 produced some . . . interesting results.

But Collins was always on, and his playing on these tours (from what we've seen in the KCCC) produced some of my favorite Crim moments.

I generally like what the rhythm team produced. They locked in well together (groovy!), and Burrell's vocal limitations don't sour any of the tunes.

Sounds like there are enough nuggets of goodness to justify the purchase of this box for me, though I can see why others might not feel the same way.

I'll only add this: don't judge this band's live capabilities solely on Earthbound. Plymouth '71 and Marquee '72 (both KCCC releases, both should be available to DL) present a range of this band's talents and harrowing adventures.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Hmm...I'd like a disc by disc breakdown before committing...but right now it's looking good for a purchase...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Hmm...I'd like a disc by disc breakdown before committing...but right now it's looking good for a purchase...
    Yeah, I'd like to see if the "+additional tracks" note behind the three studio albums contains stuff already released on the Wilson remixes. For now this bit here:
    • 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band & two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased)

sounds the most promising. The new remix of the Summit Studio show (presumably by Wilson?) is intriguing, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ It's basically the unreleased/not on CD shows that I'm most interested in. I suspect the auditions will be interesting, but without knowing what it is just yet can't say that's a highlight. These additional tracks are definitely of interest though.

Also, I'm the weird one that likes Earthbound so I'm very interested in what they are adding to that.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    still will be nice to have the full debut-thrak in big box form.
    It's probably just me, but what do you mean by this?

I'm definitely in on this - my other box sets need company!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Can someone give us a breakdown of what actually is new in terms of being unreleased or something that was not on surroundsound that is now on surroundsound ???

I will of course get this but I'm just curious how much is it I already have . I already bought the individual surround sound sets for the three records

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Can someone give us a breakdown of what actually is new in terms of being unreleased or something that was not on surroundsound that is now on surroundsound ???

I will of course get this but I'm just curious how much is it I already have . I already bought the individual surround sound sets for the three records
    The complete details have not yet been made public as far as I can tell.

Sailors’ Tales

With much of the material from In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands now being performed by the current King Crimson line-up (2014 - ), it is only in recent years that the wider world has begun to realise what fans have always known: this era’s recordings are as vital as any other segment of the King Crimson catalogue.

Recorded between the dazzling impact of In The Court Of The Crimson in 1969 and the startling reinvention of the band in 1973’s Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, this boxed set documents a crucial period in King Crimson’s history and shows it to be brimming with innovation, experimentation, and boundary-pushing energy.

With a wealth of previously unheard studio recordings from band rehearsals to full alternate mixes and a vast array of live material, much of it on CD/Blu-Ray for the first time and including four recently found, never before released concerts, this set presents the complete King Crimson recorded history of the period in the best quality audio possible.

• The complete 1970-72 King Crimson boxed set: 21CDS/4Blu-Rays/2DVD – all audio.
    • 3CDs feature Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon (1970), Lizard (1970) & Islands (1971) + additional tracks.
    • 6CDs feature the Islands line-ups early concerts from Germany (new to CD) & the UK (1971).
    • 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios & an expanded Earthbound.
    • 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band & two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased)
    • 3 Blu-Ray discs contain the main studio albums in 5.1 Surround Sound & recent stereo editions mixed by Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp + 30th anniversary masters of the original stereo albums mixes (all in 24/96 hi-res), plus extensive additional material with each disc also featuring a complete alternate album + a further selection of additional, related studio/live material in hi-res.
    • Lizard Blu-Ray: also contains the audition material from CDs19/20
    • Islands Blu-Ray: also contains the following concerts in stereo Zoom Club (4 shows), Marquee Club, Plymouth, Glasgow, Detroit all from 1971.
    • Earthbound Tour: Blu-Ray features an expanded version of the original album, Summit Studios gig in Stereo & Quadraphonic (newly mixed), the Schizoid Men sequence from the Ladies of the Road album, 2 newly discovered concerts in hi-res stereo & every existing soundboard concert recording from the 1972 US tour: Wilmington, NYC (2 shows), Chicago (2 tracks only), Detroit, Jacksonville, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Peoria, Indianapolis & Denver (2 shows).
    • 2 DVDs feature the expanded Earthbound, Summit Studios, Schizoid Men, New York 1972 & the recently discovered live concerts.
    • 12” box with booklet, memorabilia, a further downloadable concert, new sleeve-notes by Sid Smith, Jakko Jakszyk & David Singleton

Wow! Just curious to know if they found the multi-track tapes for In The Wake Of Poseidon's "The Devil's Triangle" (which was upmixed to 5.1 using 'Penteo' on 2010 deluxe edition of the album).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's probably just me, but what do you mean by this?

I'm definitely in on this - my other box sets need company!
    I just mean having all those albums in this big box form so my collection is nice and uniform (sorta if you don't mind that some albums are together in one box and some get their own box)

I just mean having all those albums in this big box form so my collection is nice and uniform (sorta if you don't mind that some albums are together in one box and some get their own box)
    Is the Thrak debut not in the Thrack box? Maybe not!

Is the Thrak debut not in the Thrack box? Maybe not!
    I meant the 1969 debut album through to thrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Do they take off the VAT when you check out? I was surprised to see it still listed in my cart after I selected yankee dollahs.
    Yes.

• 3CDs feature Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon (1970), Lizard (1970) & Islands (1971) + additional tracks.
    I'm sure these will be simple re-pressings of the existing SW-mixes. Nothing to see here folks...

• 6CDs feature the Islands line-ups early concerts from Germany (new to CD) & the UK (1971).
    This is where it starts to get really interesting. The 4 Zoom Club shows are likely to be great. I downloaded the first one when dgmlive began selling them. It is fantastic. Loose, ragged, sloppy, but really exciting. I didn't want to d/l the others because I guessed they would come out on CD. So, now, only a decade later...

The UK likely includes Plymouth, a great KCCC release. So no need for that. Probably also Glasgow. I would like that one. There is also the KCCC of Detroit, but not in the UK last time I checked!

• 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios & an expanded Earthbound.
    This will be the make or break for me. We already have Earthbound plus Orlando, Jacksonville and Denver as KCCC's. They are good. What will these be? If Summit and Earthbound are the only not "new to CD" of the 9, I'm definitely in.

More cool stuff. RF used to rave about the Island auditions in his diary. Rick Kemp on bass, IIRC.

Summary: DGM would really have to mess this one up for me not to be in. The only way to do that would be to fill this with KCCC re-pressings. Based on the description I think I'm safe.

I meant the 1969 debut album through to thrak.
    Ok, got it!!

New York, 1972
    I'll be interested in this, as I was in attendance.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm not the biggest fan of this 70-72 period but all of the box sets have been so enjoyable thus far I have to buy.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015