Thread: The Moody Blues @ Isle Of Wight DVD.

The Moody Blues @ Isle Of Wight DVD.

Wonderful! As mentioned by me and so many others before me, The Moody Blues were the bridge between psychedelia and prog. The first symphonic rock band. Great songs, and my first love affair with the beloved mellotron!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

True,but watching this dvd is a bit painful. The tron's flat,the vocals are horribly out of tune and not tight, and Justin forgets the 2nd verse to Tuesday Afternoon. It's the first concert I ever saw the keyboard player on just a Mellotron and it's the BIG DOUBLE WIDE unit as well. Roadies must have loved lugging that beast around. For all it's flaws I think this dvd is such an awesome part of history that you have to overlook all I said that was wrong about it and just forge your way through,because it's the songs that matter here. I did get a kick out of seeing Justin playing his Gibson in one song and his Fender Telecaster(I never knew he even had one until I saw this dvd footage.) in the same song..I mean how does that even happen right?

I'd actually like the see the full set and have the interviews separately
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think this is the full set Trane. Nobody on that bill got to play a set like if you were going to see one band do a concert. There were almost 20 bands over 3 days iirc. To tell you the truth,I'm amazed they got to play what's here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I think this is the full set Trane. Nobody on that bill got to play a set like if you were going to see one band do a concert. There were almost 20 bands over 3 days iirc. To tell you the truth,I'm amazed they got to play what's here.
    Didn't explain myself well enough... I know a set in festival is around one hour long, so the whole thing is mostlikely there

But I wished it was uninterrupted by the modern footage, that's all!!

Busy listening to it now.

Wow, some songs take a different and much rockier aspect on stage (despite an approximate sound)...

I'd never seen the Moodies in their prime (never interested at the 80's stuff or don't care for the modern era concerts)

is there any other full concert-footage from those years available??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I own this and the CDs, just great. No, it's not HD, 5.1 etc., but a great document of them at their peak IMO. I don't care if the sound isn't perfect or if a verse is forgotten. It's live!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I did get a kick out of seeing Justin playing his Gibson in one song and his Fender Telecaster(I never knew he even had one until I saw this dvd footage.) in the same song..I mean how does that even happen right?
    Well, it happens when you have only a limited amount of actual footage of the band and you have to stretch it out to cover the whole gig for a DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    is there any other full concert-footage from those years available??
    Do a YouTube search. There's a fair amount of live stuff (both with and without lip syncing) out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Do a YouTube search. There's a fair amount of live stuff (both with and without lip syncing) out there.
    I meant available on DVD

But I'll search for it

Graeme's comment about LSDother drug use was very telling- "we thought we were expanding our minds, but we were just getting wrecked."

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered from Amazon--only $10!

Thank your god of choice for some of these early festivals for having the vision to film the shows for posterity. Other than Woodstock I don't think anyone made any money off the films. Yet we have this show plus amazing Jethro Tull and Miles Davis sets from the IOW. Deep Purple and ELP from Calif. Jam. And Jethro Tull, Santana and Miles from Tanglewood 1970 are on Youtube, though an official release would be great. Any others?

Wow. Whoever edited the video wasn't paying too much attention. Just watched a few minutes, and before the first full song ("Are You Sitting Comfortably") is over, Justin has gone back and forth between a Telecaster and his ES-335 at least 4 or 5 times.
    Still, the music is cool!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

^^^ Good catch. It doesn't appear that much (if any) of the video from Are you sitting comfortably is from the actual song. Nice cut and paste work though!

I believe there's a French TV broadcast from the vintage years that was released sometime ago.

It's also available on Blu ray btw.[in HD and DTS HD MA 5.1]

Quote Originally Posted by hwkn View Post
    It's also available on Blu ray btw.[in HD and DTS HD MA 5.1]
    THANKS!

Havent seen the Moodies since the 80s, Looking forward to seeing Justin Haywood this summer.