Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In The Court of the Mega Bucks

Banned
    To pay 3-4K for an album solely based on it's sonic grading when you know damn well that everytime you drop a needle on the thing it decreases in sonics and value just seems ridiculous to me. I'd be afraid to spin that thing on a $6,000 Thorens. Even if you don't play it,then what are you gonna do? Hang it on your wall?
    I get collecting, I really do, but at some point it just gets silly. If I could sell a KC record for 3 grand, I'd be chuckling under my breath at the sucker who bought it as he walks away with it tucked under his arm.

It's not silly, it's about $$$. If I had money to blow, and I mean, lottery money to blow, I'd have no problem with an acquisition like this. Fortunately for my family, any single album above $40-50 gets me looking for an alternative!

Bigger issue, is what does my family do with all my records when I croak. I'd love to donate them to a museum/library who would actually value the collection.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick;103655
    Bigger issue, is what does my family do with all my records when I croak. I'd love to donate them to a museum/library who would actually value the collection.
    Believe it or not, there's been an infusion of new blood in some collecting arenas, in the form of well heeled twenty-somethings whose interest was piqued by reading books like Galactic Ramble.
    Your survivors would do well to research then-current values and sell them online, one piece at a time. That is, assuming you have items of value.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Dunno why I'm thinking about this so much, but... I also wonder--given how much money these A // 1 B // 1 pressings apparently fetch--how difficult it would be to fake something like this.
    Anyone who's going to pay this kind of money for an LP knows what he's looking for, and he won't be easily fooled.

On the other hand, fake collector LPs abound these days. There's a record store inside my local flea market, and they have multiple copies of brand new-looking pink-rim Island pressings of Nick Drake's Bryter Layter as well as the banned cover version of Guns & Roses' first LP at something like $40 apiece. Since I have been collecting records for a while and have worked at a printing company for almost as long (too long), I can see that these are bootlegs. Not "gray area" pressings manufactured professionally but without royalties going to the artists, but unprofessional fakes with cover art that's poorly scanned and printed one at a time on a large format plotter as opposed to a real printing press. (I can only imagine the process used to produce the record itself.) Mega-buck buyers would see through these quickly, but the college/high school kid who saunters in there with $40 burning a hole in his pocket probably won't know the difference till way too late.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Actually, they are pirates, not bootlegs. But, that's another topic for another thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Libraries won't even take book donations anymore. Might I suggest Goodwill?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Your survivors would do well to research then-current values and sell them online, one piece at a time. That is, assuming you have items of value.
    I have real items of value which I'll tend to while I'm still alive. I would never impose that kind of thing on on my family. Disposing of my record collection one piece at a time would be a full-time job. Even if I had 100 copies of this so-called valuable KC record, it might buy my wife a 1/2 acre and a double-wide mobile home. I don't think that's what she has in mind. Give 'em to some kid who just bought an old turntable at Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, they are pirates, not bootlegs. But, that's another topic for another thread.
    You're right. I should have said pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Libraries won't even take book donations anymore. Might I suggest Goodwill?

I have real items of value which I'll tend to while I'm still alive. I would never impose that kind of thing on on my family. Disposing of my record collection one piece at a time would be a full-time job. Even if I had 100 copies of this so-called valuable KC record, it might buy my wife a 1/2 acre and a double-wide mobile home. I don't think that's what she has in mind. Give 'em to some kid who just bought an old turntable at Goodwill.
    No thanks. I've got enough value in my collection to make it worth their while. If they can't be bothered to spend a little time on popsike and ebay, then they either have more money than they know what to do with, or they're hopelessly spoiled. The effort won't hurt them a bit.

Anyone out there wants to take my collection off my hands, ( I will save a couple of hundred just to have ) I will give you 3,000 LP's for $1,000.......that's only 33 cents a piece...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Anyone who's going to pay this kind of money for an LP knows what he's looking for, and he won't be easily fooled.

On the other hand, fake collector LPs abound these days. There's a record store inside my local flea market, and they have multiple copies of brand new-looking pink-rim Island pressings of Nick Drake's Bryter Layter as well as the banned cover version of Guns & Roses' first LP at something like $40 apiece.

It must be the Three Stooges Record Co.!!! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how someone might even think about selling pirated Nick Drake records to college kids at a flea market.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Anyone out there wants to take my collection off my hands, ( I will save a couple of hundred just to have ) I will give you 3,000 LP's for $1,000.......that's only 33 cents a piece...
    I'd be interested. I'm trying to open a small record store and need inventory. 3,000 records would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You haven't seen my collection Anyway, whether anyone still finds prog rock records of value is of course another matter!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...pants-auction/

Someone Paid $36,000 for Luke Skywalker’s Pants

By Graeme McMillan

We’ve all been there, watching Star Wars and looking at Luke Skywalker enviously as he goes from the windblown sands of Tatooine to the Death Star and thinking to ourselves, Man, if only I could wear those pants…! For one hardcore Star Wars fan, that common dream has finally come true at a cost of $36,100.

Mark Hamill’s pants from the first Star Wars movie have just been auctioned off by auction house Nate D. Sanders for a staggering $36,100, following last night’s closure of online bidding. If you’re wondering just what kind of pants are worth that amount of money, then the answer is apparently “sand-colored ‘cotton drill’ Levi’s pants… purposefully distressed to display wear,” according to the pants’ online listing, but you might know them better as “the pants Luke wore for most of the movie.”

That same listing reveals that the pants were customized by a London costumier, with a tag attached that also notes the pants were worn by Hamill and bear the costume department notation of “10490 Luke/ Star Wars.” Apparently, a lot of work goes into pants that look so casual throughout the entire movie.

As a genuine part of nerd history, the pants were never going to be cheap — the starting bid on the action was $2,500 — but the final bid was a bargain when compared to the $70,000 to $100,000 value that the auction house had originally estimated. Hamill shouldn’t feel too bad, though; the $36,100 was still higher than another pair of Levi’s worn by Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain, which only raised $21,013 during the same auction.

Hamill described the pants as “just bleached Levi’s with the tag still in them,” so for those looking to recreate their own Luke Skywalker experience, the official Levi’s website reveals that a brand-new pair of pants are available for $78.

Visiting my parents for the Mem day holiday, which gave me an opportunity to check out my old vinyl collection.

In looking for A//1 B//1's I noticed a couple of things. Records pressed mid-70s and after typically don't seem to have any such marks. Many have the serial number etched into the groove, but nothing else. A few have a name "Wally" for example, in nice script. The person doing the mastering perhaps?

Anyway, I did find one A//1 B//1. Cream Live Vol. 2. I purchased this circa 1980 from a used record shop. It's a British import. I'm sure it's not worth much 'cause it's hardly an essential album. But my question is whether from just the A//1 B//1 alone you can really tell it is a first pressing. Or could it be a "first pressing" of a reissue? In other words, years after the real first pressing. Any insight on this? Thanks!

A few have a name "Wally" for example, in nice script. The person doing the mastering perhaps?
    Short for the late Wally Traugott. One of the most sought out cutting engineers amongst vinyl collectors and audiophiles.

Curiosity piqued - just checked, mine is A/2 B/3. Cost me fifteen quid. Foxtrot,Genesis Live, H to He and Pawn Hearts all A/1 B/1s. Least We Can Do has +A +G and +B +G.
    Last edited by jode; 05-27-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Found some more.

In looking for A//1 B//1's I noticed a couple of things. Records pressed mid-70s and after typically don't seem to have any such marks. Many have the serial number etched into the groove, but nothing else. A few have a name "Wally" for example, in nice script. The person doing the mastering perhaps?

Anyway, I did find one A//1 B//1. Cream Live Vol. 2. I purchased this circa 1980 from a used record shop. It's a British import. I'm sure it's not worth much 'cause it's hardly an essential album. But my question is whether from just the A//1 B//1 alone you can really tell it is a first pressing. Or could it be a "first pressing" of a reissue? In other words, years after the real first pressing. Any insight on this? Thanks!
    Different labels had different protocol for the codes they put in the runout grooves. As the record companies got bigger, the A/1 B/1 thing seems to have faded away a bit. Also, the big US labels didn't seem to follow this format as much as the UK labels did. So to determine if a record is a first pressing often requires that you're familiar with that particular label's history and practices. Often it has to do with information printed on the label or the cover as well as/instead of the matrix numbers in the runout grooves. Also, some labels' histories and practices are much better documented than others, so it may not be possible to determine a when some records were pressed, and in such cases, probably no one cares anyway.

I think it's fair to say that reissues could display the A/1 B/1 code scheme, but most likely if they're much later reissues (like in the last 10 years or so), perhaps if it's a label that specialized in reissues. If it was a repressing on the same label from just a few years after original issue, I don't think they'd ever use the A/1 B/1 codes. In other words, I'd assume your Cream record is an original pressing.