Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terra Incognita Quebec City Prog Festival afterthoughts

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA

Terra Incognita Quebec City Prog Festival afterthoughts

Pre-festival : Neal Morse
    Saturday : The Tea Club, Phideaux, RPWL
    Sunday : EDO, Il Castello di Atlante, The Flower Kings
    Monday, post-festival : The Tea Club, RPWL

My personal faves were Phideaux and Il Castello di Atlante but I liked every group.

Special mention to Phideaux for the most difficult name to get right for the local (french speaking) crowd : although a french name
    it should be pronounced this way : the native french speaker must emulate an english speaker that emulate a native french speaker. ;-)

Photos coming soon...

The Tea Club

The Tea Club -Terra Incognita Quebec City Prog Festival-

Great Band !

available on bandcamp.com

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

TeaClub.jpg
    Last edited by Pierre; 05-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.

I need full reviews telling me how horrible it was as I was unable to get tickets this year. Telling me how great it was would be unfair.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Ok, I'll try to help with a negative. There was this problem with Il Castello di Atlante. One could buy their poster, their dvd and their shirt, but their cd's were in limited number.
    Hope you fell better now. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    My personal faves were Phideaux and Il Castello di Atlante but I liked every group.
    Same here, with The Tea Club as a close 3rd.

The performance by Phideaux was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced.

This was our first time to Terra Incognita and our first time to Quebec City. We loved both of them. It was an amazing weekend!

Phideaux and The Flower Kings were my standout favourites but all were great. It was a fantastic festival in a very intimate venue. Hopefully just my first of many Terra Incognita events.

All the bands were great. Although not a big fan of the Tea Club, they surprised me with a better refined sound and some new faces on stage. Good sign for their future.
    EDO was some killer fusion I hadn't heard before.
    Phideaux was excellent as expected. Val played piano and sang Crumble for another spine tingling rendition. The new Infrenal Suite (selections of the forth coming CD) was absolutely fantastic. Love talking to the band whenever we see them.
    RPWL was really strong, but I was disappointed their set was all the new CD, which I'm not a big fan of. I would have loved to be able to see the Monday show with all the older material but we couldn't change our flight. They encored with Roses and a newer version of This Is Not A Prog Song.
    Il Castello di Atlante were beyond words. So good and fun on stage. Was really into this set. Some of the finest Italian Prog ever. I have to fill in my CD collection now.
    The Flower Kings did a great set with a healthy Roine. And their new drummer is freakin' AWESOME! Wow can that guy pound the skins. I was watching him a lot at ROSfest too. Just really great. We spent some time talking to Hasse and Jonas on Saturday. Great guys. Then we had an early lunch in the airport with Jonas and Roine. What a blast. This is what I really love about these fests!
    But the most thanks goes to the gracious host and wonderful human being that is Michel Bilodeau. He helped us get tickets after it sold out. That gave us the chance to meet him and discover what a truly genuine guy he is. He did a great job with the fest and even arranged shows before and after the Sat/Sun schedule. Hopefully he'll get some rest after all that. Thank you Michel! We look forward to seeing you next year.
    Quebec was a great time for us. It's been 20 years since either of us had been there and it really changed a lot. I noticed that English was much more fluent than back then. Hopefully we can learn a little French before next year.

News from the event:
    New Tangent CD in June
    Discipline working on new CD and may include some old unreleased material
    Transatlantic recording new CD in Nashville RIGHT NOW!
    Phideaux trying to finish up the Infernal double CD and 7.5 to come later on

Next stop......Progday!!!!!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Next year I won't be a moron and will make sure I get tickets at first chance.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Looks like I missed a good show this year, after having a great time at last year's TI. I'll try again next year.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Jefferson James
    Thanks for the reports -- this is indeed a very special festival and Michel is an angel. Hoping to make it back one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'll try again next year.
    We'll talk in September.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Michel is an angel.
    Is that ever the truth. I seem to recall Michel pulling the Geezer's speedo'ed butt out of the fire last year upon forgetting his ticket back at the hotel.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Is that ever the truth. I seem to recall Michel pulling the Geezer's speedo'ed butt out of the fire last year upon forgetting his ticket back at the hotel.
    Je t'aime Michel! Lopez c'est vrai! Old people need young folks like Michel to extinguish speedo'ed butts.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

EDO

available on Bandcamp.com

Lots of photos here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pierre; 05-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.

NEAL MORSE

Lots of photos here

THE FLOWER KINGS

Video here

Lots of photos here

Very professional those shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Our photos did not come out well at all.

Well… they are from another Pierre, Pierre Ménard… I'll forward the thanks.

IL CASTELLO DI ATLANTE

Great video here

Photos soon

IL CASTELLO DI ATLANTE

Here are the photos

Jefferson James
    Most excellent, thanks Pierre!