Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording Guitar

Recording Guitar

I'd like to get some tips on recording clean guitar tracks without unwanted noise. I'm currently having problems with too much pick attack. I often wonder how Keith Richards got such a clean recording on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

Play with a really light pick, or finger style like Mark Knopfler?

Electric or acoustic? I think you're referring to electric, but I figured I'd ask.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Electric, seems worse with single coils. I use Dunlop Jazz III picks. It seems like someone should make a quiet pick for the studio, but I haven't found it yet.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

Dunlop Tortex 2mm. THey are CRAZY fat, but they have rounded edges. I used them for a long while. They take some getting used to. I'd just buy one if you can find it because I stopped using them because there was too LITTLE attack sound. I'm using tortex 1.14s now and I'm happy happy.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingtoexcess View Post
    Dunlop Tortex 2mm. THey are CRAZY fat, but they have rounded edges. I used them for a long while. They take some getting used to. I'd just buy one if you can find it because I stopped using them because there was too LITTLE attack sound. I'm using tortex 1.14s now and I'm happy happy.
    I've been using the Dunlop Tortex 2mm pick for over 10 years now and did the reverse of what you did. I started with the 1.14 and then switched to the 2.0.
    It's by far my favorite of the picks I've tried for my playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    I'd like to get some tips on recording clean guitar tracks without unwanted noise. I'm currently having problems with too much pick attack. I often wonder how Keith Richards got such a clean recording on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To me, when playing electric guitar, pick were my problem too,
    so it happened when by coincidence, talking with a mandolin player about it, that I had the answer to this same question, and it was that he had a very soft pick, ok...

So, thinking about it I decided to make my own, and incredibly simple I just got it ...

How come?, with Scotch Adhesive Band Tape, one inch wide.
    so, it was folding this band two or three times, that I could have it !!!,
    The pick is made,..ok !!!

So,To answer your question.
    To have a very metallic and clear sound at the same time is necessary to caress the strings.
    With usual picks this is impossible... with usual picks is necessary to hit the string to play consistent sound, but this action does the distortion,
    When playing with picks made of Scotch Adhesive Band Tape, and because this pick is so flexible and plastic, it happens that you caress the strings.
    It is because this that, of course, the sound coming out is clear and powerful.
    This possibility allows you to play faster, much more long time without getting tired...
    Even nails cant arrive to do it, simply because not plastic and not flexible.

My record playing electric guitar with this new pick is 17 hours in a day, .

By then, one thing I have discover then after, and this was that the only thing exhausting the guitar player was the pick. It was the Pick and nothing else...

Because this constant hitting of the strings has their consequences in several directions.
    The player is saturated by the constant distorted sound,
    Because the mechanical movement of the wrist when hitting the strings does their way too,
    Because the impossibility to go clearer when wanting to go faster, distortion appearing immediately , and so on,...ok

Today in the market
    For professional guitar players, their is no a pick having this properties

Nevertheless,
    Never impossible, this pick, to be professional must be made on titanium metal.
    Why?
    Because the consistent properties of this metal. This metal is very plastic, flexible and solid at the same time.

So, having a very thin pick made of titanium flexible enough to caress the strings, the fact can be possible, we can all go on, ......ok

To go Into the Big Jump once again....if possible,...lol

------------------------------------
    nous sommes du soleil

Have you tried to use Parametric EQ to put a -db notch(notches) at the abrasive frequency(frequencies)? This would seem to be the easiest solution as it allows you to play comfortably with what you are used to

Pick noise has a lot more to do with how you play than how you record. I don't think there is any particular recording technique that can effectively minimize unwanted pick noise beyond the obvious not pointing the mic towards your picking hand. The solution is either to pick less aggressively or to notch out the noise with either eq, like klothos says, or a combination of eq and compression. I haven't tried it on electric guitar, but a de-esser can sometimes be effective on badly recorded acoustic guitar with a lot of fret noise. Home the de-esser in on the offensive frequencies and let it do its job at supressing those.

I have a big thick felt pick that I got with an autoharp. It's amazing. Every guitar player that has ever tried it has flipped out completely on it. It makes no noise of any kind. Zero, zip. Notes just start, like you're playing with the pads of your fingers. I've never seen where to buy another but they must be out there. I'm sure you could make your own, it's just an 1/8" inch or so piece of reasonably hard felt shaped like a pick.

Actually, a quick Google search says Dunlop makes one and it's easy to get. Seems it was intended for bass or ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I have a big thick felt pick that I got with an autoharp. It's amazing. Every guitar player that has ever tried it has flipped out completely on it. It makes no noise of any kind. Zero, zip. Notes just start, like you're playing with the pads of your fingers. I've never seen where to buy another but they must be out there. I'm sure you could make your own, it's just an 1/8" inch or so piece of reasonably hard felt shaped like a pick.

Actually, a quick Google search says Dunlop makes one and it's easy to get. Seems it was intended for bass or ukulele.
    Yeah, those have been out for awhile and were intended (originally) for bass players in the 1960s...We actually poke sport at those among my musician friends BUT I never heard it used on autoharp and I can hear that application in my head. That sounds pretty cool to me

By the way, I think autoharp is a very under-appreciated instrument (generally speaking)

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Yeah, those have been out for awhile and were intended (originally) for bass players in the 1960s...We actually poke sport at those among my musician friends
    IIRC, Anthony Jackson has been known to use felt picks. I can't imagine any bass player poking fun at him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    IIRC, Anthony Jackson has been known to use felt picks. I can't imagine any bass player poking fun at him for that.
    Anthony Jackson can play with a banana and still be cool ...also, within my friends that poke fun at those, its mainly guitarists

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Pick noise has a lot more to do with how you play than how you record. I don't think there is any particular recording technique that can effectively minimize unwanted pick noise beyond the obvious not pointing the mic towards your picking hand. The solution is either to pick less aggressively or to notch out the noise with either eq, like klothos says, or a combination of eq and compression. I haven't tried it on electric guitar, but a de-esser can sometimes be effective on badly recorded acoustic guitar with a lot of fret noise. Home the de-esser in on the offensive frequencies and let it do its job at supressing those.
    Just to give you an idea about, a reference...

Playing Acoustic Guitar is like going along a well made path, driving a Yamaha 125 CC trail motorcycle sunday afternoon, beautiful, fantastic, ok...

Playing Electric Guitar is just like heading fast, atacking sharp, driving a tremendously nervous and hyper reactive 450cc Motocross motorcycle, always ready to race across very rough ground to go through flashing...

That's is why, to me, to have the right pick, when playing electric guitar, is fundamental.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Anthony Jackson can play with a banana and still be cool ...also, within my friends that poke fun at those, its mainly guitarists
    LOL....

I support the EQ-notching approach. OF course as stated above (somewhere), it all starts with clean articulation during the playing of the GTR part.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I support the EQ-notching approach. OF course as stated above (somewhere), it all starts with clean articulation during the playing of the GTR part.
    With titanium picks?,
    This was so far, in their possible perspectives...

Can you show the photo of it?...lol
    Excuse me, but it must be quite primitive tough...lol
    Does it really play any music?....lol...

Thinking about your post, always in a positive and constructive direction,
    when live is recorded, it's on the sound itself that the spirit of the music played really is....
    So, if manipulating then after, this can damage the Live concept even...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    Can you show the photo of it?...lol
    Excuse me, but it must be quite primitive tough...lol
    Does it really play any music?....lol...

It works great- it sounds like playing with fingers.

OK grabbed that felt pick that's been kicking around on one of the pockets of my gig bag for years and tried it out...

I found it was similiar to masterbation ...... I found I enjoyed it... I decided to give it a break for a while so I don't wear it out..... Can't wait to get to it again to see what I have learned....
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    I found it was similiar to masterbation ...... I found I enjoyed it... I decided to give it a break for a while so I don't wear it out.....
    you're not doing that right............

Did you try their flexibity?

It works great- it sounds like playing with fingers.

It's a stiff felt, it doesn't really flex differently from a regular pick, believe it or not.

It's a stiff felt, it doesn't really flex differently from a regular pick, believe it or not.
    Well,
    The main point is,

The pick itself,
    It must be plastic, flexible,
    and very hard at the same time,

Did you've ever seen some glasses having titanium frames?
    They are entirely present in the market,
    if going there,ask for their flexibility,
    then you will understand...

Nevertheless,
    If you can you tell me about the material,
    the producer/trader or any other topic related,
    probably by there something can happen,

To interact with this people can be productive,
    Is important is to keep their attention, this is the attention of industry
    This is the way to make a new product finally...

Then after,
    It can be interesting for the music playing,
    for them, for the business, and for all finally...
    nevertheless, this way, a new turn in playing electric guitar
    can be once more time....if possible...lol

You know,to me
    copyrights and all that, I never like it,

Otherwise, if I believe you or not, it is not important,
    the post is out of the point

highaltitiude
    -----------------------------
    nous sommes du soleil