Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ray Manzarek

that's really sad news. truly one of the most iconic keyboard sounds in all of music.
    Jim Morrison might be one of the most recognizable figures in rock'n'roll but without Ray Manzarek there would be no Doors.
    Last edited by progholio; 05-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.

RIP Ray
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    He's probably talking to Jim already.
    Nah. He's probably asking "Where's Jim, man?".

Holy crap, what a strange coincidence, I was just jamming along to some "Doors" down in my studio then came upstairs, logged onto PE and saw this post.

RIP Ray

RIP

This tune instantly came to mind...

Sad news. Peace to his family & close friends.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Last song on Golden Scarab...one if the huge albums from my youth...I grew to have my doubts on his greatness, but he did something right! His keyboard bass set a tone for my personal approach to music

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    "The only thing that ultimately matters is to eat an ice-cream cone, play a slide trombone, plant a small tree, good God, now you're free." - Ray Manzarek
    Last song on Golden Scarab...one if the huge albums from my youth...I grew to have my doubts on his greatness, but he did something right! His keyboard bass set a tone for my personal approach to music

Damn, thats definitely a shame.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The sun is truly setting on an era.

I loved those slinky grooves he brought to The Doors.

Such an underrated ivory tickler, glad I got to see him a few times over the last 2 decades.

RIP
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    RIP
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Light My Fire was one of the first songs I remember ever ....this garage band who lived on my block in the summer of 1968 would raise their garage door just about every night around 7.00 pm or so and would play that song endlessly....along with snoopy hang on....or whatever that song is called......

A couple of my all time favorite albums are the self -titled album, The Soft Parade and of course L. A. Woman.....the final studio release from 1977-78 featuring Jim's spoken word and some singing with The Doors called "An american prayer" is very listenable as well...

The keyboard solo in the middle of Light My fire and the keys on rider's on the storm just amazing.....

Thank You Ray for being a happy part of my yout ........

Miss you Ray. Thanks for all the great music and being the person you were. Fly on man.

Break on through (to the other side)

RIP Ray!!!

Thanks for lighting my fire up on rock music in my youth...

Loved your version of Carmina Burana too!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Break on through (to the other side)

RIP Ray!!!

Thanks for lighting my fire up on rock music in my youth...

Loved your version of Carmina Burana too!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote from 1967:

“There are things you know about,” says 25-year-old Manzarek, whose specialty is playing the organ with one hand and the bass piano with the other, “and things you don’t, the known and the unknown, and in between are the doors. You have to ‘break on through to the other side’ to become the whole being.”

Turn out the lights, because the music's now over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Quote from 1967:

“There are things you know about,” says 25-year-old Manzarek, whose specialty is playing the organ with one hand and the bass piano with the other, “and things you don’t, the known and the unknown, and in between are the doors. You have to ‘break on through to the other side’ to become the whole being.”
    IMO, the most-fitting opening track from any debut release.

Another one of my musical heroes departs this mortal coil-when the music's over, turn out the light. RIP, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    74, eh? too young, definitely. what was the cause? do you know?
    Kim
    Bile duct cancer.

Deeply saddened. RIP Ray.

Three similar threads merged into one...
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks Ray for making my childhood a little brighter and a lot more memorable. The music was great man! Sad news indeed. The Doors were one of my favorite bands and I don't think any band held the spirit of the 60's and deeper than they did.

Rick

In the early 1980's I worked in downtown L.A. and learned of a weekend Rock Music Rareities Convention at the Bonaventure Hotel. I attended day one, and bought some great bootlegs and other rock memorabilia. Low and behold I spied Ray Manzarek and his wife in the crowd. I loved the Doors and had to try to talk to him. I approached him and asked him what he thought of the Oliver Stone movie about the band that was recently released. Well, he was really really cool, and very down to Earth. He explained why the surviving band members could not endorse the film. He said that Val Kilmer stepped into the shoes of Jim Morrison and the actor became the rock musician. So much so that it truly frightened the band. He said that Kilmer's performance was great. But then Ray set the record straight about how Morrison was portrayed by Stone as a violent, out of control bad boy. Not so said Manzarek. Yes Jimbo was a heavy drinker and druggie, but Ray said that Jim was a man of peace. No violence, no throwing TV's at anyone as portrayed by Stone. He said Jim was a poet, and an artist, and gave his all in the studio, and in live performance. We continued to talk about the Doors and other music for at least another 10 minutes, with his equally friendly wife joining in on the conversation. It was a very positive encounter with a famous rock star that I will never forget. I've met a few in my life time, but seldom with the experience so warm. I'm sad to hear of his passing. Even at 74, by today's standards that is still too soon. I hope Jim was waiting for him, so they could again write music in another reincarnation. RIP
    Last edited by AncientChord; 05-22-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.