Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep

Banned
    Why would anyone have a problem with Neal helping the Beard out? After all, he started the band and his brother Al is still in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I like that vibe, A LOT. It's quirky, like the old Spock's Beard. In fact, I have taken them and mixed them in with the best cuts from the first disc, and leaving some of the run-of-the-mill (perhaps Enchant sounding) cuts off. Making one super-album.
    Perhaps with more time I'll appreciate them more or view them differently.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts! That is so cool, reminds me of Kevin Gilbert.

Different strokes I guess...
    Despite being well aware of Kevin Gilbert's (former) existence for the last 10 years, I confess to being more or less KG ignorant. Perhaps I'd understand and appreciate the reference if that were not the case.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Why would anyone have a problem with Neal helping the Beard out? After all, he started the band and his brother Al is still in the band.
    Well, in my opinion you either leave or you don't. But whether or not his help is a problem (which clearly it isn't), I believe it isn't necessary. There's is enough talent within the band to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Well, in my opinion you either leave or you don't. But whether or not his help is a problem (which clearly it isn't), I believe it isn't necessary. There's is enough talent within the band to deliver.
    That's my feeling as well. How much involvement did Neal have? I know he co-wrote a couple songs, but other than that? Seems like there was plenty of strong material without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Well, in my opinion you either leave or you don't.
    I just don't understand this statement. Why does it matter? If he's able to contribute good material (which he did, IMO), why not accept the material.

I don't understand why the source of the writing is so important for some (Neal's involvement here, the sheer horror that Yes used some material that was originally written 30 years ago) - what's the big deal? All that matters is if the music is good. If they made a great album (which they did, IMO), I don't care if Justin Bieber gets a writing credit.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Agreed with Scott.

Neal was the strongest component in SB to begin with. When he left, Feel Euphoria and Octane were the results. Also keep in mind, in his words, he left the band "because God told him to", not because he had bad blood with the members. If he can positively contribute in any way to the band, everybody wins.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The band has been using two outside writers (one of them heavily) ever since Neal left the band. So, if the band is always needing material, what's the difference if they utilize the writing of a former member? Neal also has briefly reunited with SB on stage a couple times in recent years.

Well I was trying to avoid further negativity here, but since some have asked: for me it's that the obviously NM-involved parts are my least favorite parts of this album. So no, generally the source doesn't matter to me either...unless I'd prefer less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Well I was trying to avoid further negativity here, but since some have asked: for me it's that the obviously NM-involved parts are my least favorite parts of this album. So no, generally the source doesn't matter to me either...unless I'd prefer less of it.
    I see what you are saying. By any chance are you a fan of Ted Leonard's previous work in Enchant? I'm just curios if you prefer the writing to be more in that direction...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's a completely different argument from "you're either in or you're out."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'll go along with the people who rate this as the best since V - it's certainly the first one since V that I've felt compelled to listen to repeatedly, which was always a defining feature of Beard albums for me up until Snow, which I didn't really connect with. The NDV-led albums are certainly no stinkers but neither did they particularly grab me.

Also, I love Postcards From Perdition (which I believe is a download-only track?) - cracking little tune!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's a completely different argument from "you're either in or you're out."
    Quite true and I should have clarified my position.

I see what you are saying. By any chance are you a fan of Ted Leonard's previous work in Enchant? I'm just curios if you prefer the writing to be more in that direction...
    No, I'm not familiar with Enchant at all so I don't have any particular bias due to Ted's involvement with that band.

I just wanted to add to the chorus of those who are singing this albums praise. As someone who was not moved at all by post-Neal Beard (respect and appreciate Nick's drumming and bv but didn't care for his lead work) I am stunned by how much I'm enjoying this. I'm almost ashamed to admit I bought it only to hear the two tunes Neal was involved in; I can make an argument that the other material is actually better. Excellent lead vocals, production, and for the first time ages, Spock's tunes that are instantly catchy, memorable and made me hit the rewind button.

I know I shouldn't have said rewind button, but that's what came out, and you get the point. Unless you are listening on a cassette, than you didn't even think twice.

Banned
    Got the deluxe edition of this from Amoeba Music today. Just skimming through it, as it is late here. All I have to say is... LONG LIVE THE BEARD!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Hand View Post
    I just wanted to add to the chorus of those who are singing this albums praise. As someone who was not moved at all by post-Neal Beard (respect and appreciate Nick's drumming and bv but didn't care for his lead work) I am stunned by how much I'm enjoying this. I'm almost ashamed to admit I bought it only to hear the two tunes Neal was involved in; I can make an argument that the other material is actually better. Excellent lead vocals, production, and for the first time ages, Spock's tunes that are instantly catchy, memorable and made me hit the rewind button.

I know I shouldn't have said rewind button, but that's what came out, and you get the point. Unless you are listening on a cassette, than you didn't even think twice.
    My very first impression was that the vocals were too low in the mix, however I've heard enough that I don't think that is all ways so. Need to figure out why I thought that.

"Waiting for Me" is on the shortlist of songs that actually made my eyes tear up. Not sure why, but it did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Waiting for Me" is on the shortlist of songs that actually made my eyes tear up. Not sure why, but it did.
    I agree with you there.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've been totally disappointed with every SB release since Neal's departure, including the one just before the current one. Still, I'm swayed by the overwhelmingly positive feedback here so I pulled the trigger. I'll let you know what I think.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Jon Neudorf
    A stunning album. Leonard is a great fit.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Sorry for this stupid question, but what is the different between the two versions of Something Very Strange? To me, the one on the first disc is prog, while the band went to alternative rock route on the second version.