Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep

FEATURED ALBUM: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep

Review from Progarchives (Roland 113):
    The Beard is back! Yep, that's right, just when you thought it was safe to head off to an alternate universe full of Vulcans with goatees, we have the third incarnation of the boys. Gone is Nick D'Virgilio and his mad drumming and his umm . . . mad singing? I don't know, it was the best that I had at the time. Joining the band on a permanent basis is their previous touring drummer Jimmy Keegan and new to the band is former lead singer of Enchant, Ted Leonard. Rounding out the band is the core of Dave Meros on bass, Alan Morse on guitar and Ryo Okumoto on keyboards.

After Neal Morse left the band in 2002, the writing duties were split among the band with Nick D'Virgilio getting at least partial credit on five songs on each of the next three albums, 'Feel Euphoria', 'Octane' and 'Spock's Beard'. These three albums were somewhat somber albums dominated by the moody voice of D'Virgilio. In 2010, the band was ready to start working on their next album while Di'Virgillio was on tour with Cirque du Soleil. The resulting 'X' was a noticeably lighter and proggier album with D'Virgilio only having a hand in one of the songs. 'Brief Nocturnes and Endless Sleep' is the continuation of that trend, the movement away from the angsty and back towards the type of music and energy that made the band so great in the first place.

'Hiding Out' leads off the album with one of the softest yet most engaging opening lines to date, a gentle rolling piano line that gives you just enough time to appreciate its subtle beauty before the rest of the band slams into the album with a series of hits. Ted Leonard has sole writing credit for this song which strikes me as a bold move for a twenty year old band, 'let's let the newbie start off the new album'. Shoot, Genesis didn't let Ray Wilson in the same studio let alone touch a pen. Jimmy Keegan's drums are mixed a little brighter than D'Virgilio's had been resulting in a tight sound that adds to the new found energy prevalent throughout the album. Dave Meros and Keegan have already had years of experience playing live shows together, as such, there was no loss of cohesion in the rhythm section, they clicked immediately. Another change is the prevalence of the acoustic guitar throughout the album, 'Hiding Out' features a nice strummed guitar on the chorus, giving it a Dream Theater feel at times. Ted Leonard had a tough job here, he had to follow not one, but two of the arguably more known lead singers of the modern prog scene. Not only does he hold his own, but he carves out his own niche adding a warm, vibrant tone that neither of his predecessors had. The band chose a lead singer that can clearly take them to the next level. This is perhaps no more apparent than on 'Submerged'. Mr. Leonard manages to sound at times like Seal, a soulful, breathy voice that commands your attention. Alan Morse gets credit for adding to the soulful feel of the song with a wonderfully timed solo. Congrats guys, this is the best ballad you've ever done.

'Afterthoughts' is the first of two songs that Neal Morse had a hand in, the next chapter in the 'Thoughts' series certainly holds its own in comparison to its predecessors. It's easily the hardest of the trilogy, Leonard delivers a raspy angry voice in the verses as he delivers some of the best lines of the album. 'They all say I'm crazy but I say 'Ha', just like a fox, but with dementia.' We also get a typical Beard call and answer vocal chaos, beautiful.

On the special edition of the album there are two very different versions of 'Something Very Strange'. The album version is all the prog that you could want, tight rhythms, obscure lines, rolling bass lines, Mellotron (yes, Mellotron, I don't want to hear it), Keyboards all over the place and a catchy chorus. The solo section features a great set of tradeoffs between Ryo Okumoto and Alan Morse, absolutely fantastic. The second version is obviously toned down for a single, but remains a catchy rock song. I particularly enjoy the vocorder at the beginning of both versions; it gives the band a modern feel that makes the excessive Mellotron and Organ a little more bearable.

As much as I love the rest of the album, 'Waiting for Me' is the song that Beard fans have been waiting for since Neal Morse left the band. This is a song on par with 'The Light' and 'The End of the Day'. Neal Morse's contribution on this song is pretty easy to see, though it melds beautifully with Leonard's writing style making this one an instant classic. I'm not going to detail this one, just give it a minute to get past the Floydian intro for twelve minutes of bliss. It's an album of bests; this song features the best Alan Morse solo that I've heard followed shortly by another wonderful solo by Ryo.

The other songs are each great in their own right and show a variety of styles and influences. If you listen closely, you can hear snippets reminiscent of Yes, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and King Crimson. Ted Leonard and Jimmy Keegan really add a lot of energy to the group, Alan Morse and Dave Meros are their wonderful selves and Ryo is all over the place. If you're a fan of Spock's Beard, if you were disenfranchised by the NDV era, don't miss this one. Truly, the Beard is back, and better than ever. I'm happy to give this album a five star rating.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh, I get it. He's fishing, but the boat's floating ABOVE the water...

WTF?! Has Rune (Jen) weighed in on this cover yet? I know this is the kind of cover art that really gets her goat. Too bad it couldn't have been a CLOWN that was fishing.

Am I the only one who is reminded on Gentle Giant by the vocal 'chaos' in Afterthoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Am I the only one who is reminded on Gentle Giant by the vocal 'chaos' in Afterthoughts?
    No, that's intentional. Spock's Beard and Neal Morse have recorded numerous songs with the word Thoughts in the title, and they are all homages to Gentle Giant. I really liked the one on the most recent Neal Morse release.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    It's alright. I do miss Nick's drumming. But the vocalist is quite nice. Strong voice, and fits the music.

Unlikely to make my top 10/15 album list come years end.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I like it a lot, and it will be on my top albums of 2013 list by years end , I am pretty sure of that.

I think Ted Leonard is a great fit, as good as they could have found to replace Nick on vocals.

Ranks with Lifesigns as my favourite trad-prog album of the last few years.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Will have to check this out when I get a chance. What with the new BBT, Thieves' Kitchen, Oblivion Sun, Steven Wilson etc... haven't had a chance at this one yet. On my steadily growing list...

One of their best. The prog comeback following the detour of Octane is still on track and I love the last 3. Highly recommended and I don't miss Nick any more than I missed Neal.

Perhaps the best Spock's Beard album since Neal left. I thought they were on a roll by the time they got to X, but this has a classic SB sound. Ted's vocals are a bit more like Neal's, too.

Hands down my pick for best album of the year (so far).

Jefferson James
    It's a great album top to bottom, super-solid songwriting IMO; planning on spending some car time with it this weekend.

Best Spock's album since Neal left. The bonus disc oddly contains many of the best tracks, but that's OK. I like Ted's vocals on lead over Nick's, though overall the Neal/Nick/Al/Dave harmonies still rival the Ted/Jimmy/Al/Dave harmonies. It's not the same, the magic isn't there. But, what are you going to do? The songs are really good to really great, and it still sounds a good deal like Spock's Beard, so it gets a thumbs up from me.

The Youtube songs above are really good! I got off the Beard bus with the IMHO stale alterna-arena-rock of Octane, but this really has potential. Another one to put on the already too long "to buy" list...

A brilliant album! I wasn't sure how Spock's 3.0 would turn out, but this one truly delivers. I can't really imagine fans of either of the past Spock's incarnations not loving this one, and they might even bring in some new fans as well! Submerged and Something Very Strange are my faves, along with Waiting for Me being another incredible Spock's classic, partially courtesy of Neal.

Welcome back, Spock!!!

(btw, I'm a big Nick fan too, and loved many of his moments on the last several discs, plus his own solo recordings which are fantastic)

Banned
    My impression is that Ted's vocal is too low in the mix. Was this on purpose?

I love pretty much everything about this album. The best Beard album since the Neal Morse days. And as much as I like NDVs drumming, I don't miss him here. Jimmy Keegan is great on this material.

This is definitely a contender for best album of the year in my book. With the exception of opener "Hiding Out", which is the weakest track on the album (although it is a good rocker) imo, the rest of the album is fantastic and every song counts. Interesting how some of the best songs are in the bonus disc, with my favorite song being "Down A Burning Road" from that second disc. From the rest, I like "Afterthoughts", "Something Very Strange", "Waiting for Me", "The Man You're Afraid You Are", and "Wish I Were Here". Certainly, their best album since Spock's Beard V.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It was like that on the couple Enchant albums I had, too. Maybe he's self conscious? I don't know.

I didn't know how I'd take to this album. I'm a big Nick fan, both as a drummer and front man, and I REALLY didn't like Enchant. Overall, I think Brief Nocturnes is a great album, and Submerged is just fantastic. Ted Leonard and Jimmy Keegan are different from Nick, but still killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I got this impression as well. Maybe to bring out the signature style instrumentals so it still sounds like Spock's Beard? Sometimes I think they over-think the post-Neal albums... the bonus disc is a prime example on this release as well. How in the world they picked those (some of the best tracks ever) as bonus cuts is beyond me.

I listened to the bonus disc just once before spinning the album proper many, many times. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it, but the album just seems to flow and hang together as a cohesive disc. This thread reminded me that I need to give the bonus disc a chance so I have been listening to it this morning. Maybe I'm just not as used to these tunes, but I'm glad they put them on the bonus disc. While good songs, they seem to have a different vibe that I don't think would have fit so well on the album proper.

I did notice one thing that I didn't like and that was some of the vocals on "The Man You're Afraid You Are" where it seems that Ted is trying to copy a particular manner of singing that Nick used to employ (and was one of the things that turned me off from much of the other post-Neal material). He does do a good job of sounding like Nick in that part though, if you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    While good songs, they seem to have a different vibe that I don't think would have fit so well on the album proper.
    I like that vibe, A LOT. It's quirky, like the old Spock's Beard. In fact, I have taken them and mixed them in with the best cuts from the first disc, and leaving some of the run-of-the-mill (perhaps Enchant sounding) cuts off. Making one super-album.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I did notice one thing that I didn't like and that was some of the vocals on "The Man You're Afraid You Are"...
    Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts! That is so cool, reminds me of Kevin Gilbert.

Different strokes I guess...

I was quite surprised at how good this disc is. It's their best since V imo. I thought X was a solid step in the right direction and this continues that path forward.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I think this is an 'alright' album in my book. I always thought the four album with Nick fronting were underrated, and while "Feel Euphoria" is not their best album, "Octane" was better, "Spock's Beard" was very good, and "X" was absolutely brilliant. I've always wondered why Spock's Beard-live were still playing Neal Morse-songs live, at the time they arrived at "X". It surely wasn't necessary. Now, with the growing influence of Neal Morse on the latest version of SB, I kinda feel this is a step-down. My opinion is they actually don't need his help, and I'm bothered by his shadow still lingering on.

But they'll probably deliver a masterpiece three albums from now

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I think this is an 'alright' album in my book. I always thought the four album with Nick fronting were underrated, and while "Feel Euphoria" is not their best album, "Octane" was better, "Spock's Beard" was very good, and "X" was absolutely brilliant.
    X is the only post-Neal one before this one I can stomach. But now I feel like they've found an identity that works and I think Neal's presence only helps the band in this context.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.