Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Gabriel 'Genesis' vocal ?

Favourite Gabriel 'Genesis' vocal ?

Deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the greatest front men in rock music IMO ! Having said that I am not a fan of his softer vocals , when he half sings & half speaks . He would have made a terrible ballad singer .His vocals are more suited to the edgier & rockier Genesis compositions .

My favourite vocal performances both appear on The Lamb.
    Back in NYC & In the Cage .

What's yours ?

I think TLLDoB is his finest vocal performance with Genesis. If I had to point out any specific ones, they would be what I consider the most emotional from that album: "Chamber of 32 Doors", "The Lamia" and "In The Rapids".

I'm with Splicer:

Chamber of 32 Doors.

For Absent Friends and More Fool Me.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

He sings most beautiful I think during the softer sections. 'In The Rapids' is my favorite as far as the sound of his voice goes. He's just amazing on that track, as well as 'The Lamia', and 'Anyway'. I like the line, 'the mountain cuts off the town from view', in Firth of Fifth, and 'Far from the north, overcast ranks advance. Fear of the storm accusing with rage and scorn' in Can-Utility. And when powerful, I love the concluding of Supper's Ready, the whole last track. Also, not my favorite track, but his voice is quite killer in the line, 'there's only one direction, in the faces that I see', in Carpet Crawlers.

This is really hard to pick just one. I love everything he does in Genesis and out. He's my 2nd favorite singer of all time. If forced to choose only 1,it has to be Cinema Show. That song has a dynamic range encompassing every emotion you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I think TLLDoB is his finest vocal performance with Genesis. If I had to point out any specific ones, they would be what I consider the most emotional from that album: "Chamber of 32 Doors", "The Lamia" and "In The Rapids".
    Chamber would be mine as well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He's pretty much always amazing and I don't agree that his voice isn't suited to soft vocals. Two of my favorites are the version of Here Comes the Flood from the Fripp album and Family Snapshot.

But as far as with Genesis - all of The Lamb, especially Fly on a Windshield, then also Can Utility... is another favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    This is really hard to pick just one. I love everything he does in Genesis and out. He's my 2nd favorite singer of all time. If forced to choose only 1,it has to be Cinema Show. That song has a dynamic range encompassing every emotion you could ever imagine.
    I'll bite - who's your favorite?

Favorite vocalist and frontman of all time for me. I enjoy most all of his stuff but my top picks would be the entire Lamb. Also the end of both suppers ready and the musical box are right there as well especially live version which when listening with the volume cranked up bring chills to the spine!

All of what's been posted so far but I'll throw in Epping Forest and Harold The Barrel.A touch of pure Hollywood in the English Countryside .

At his peak on Foxtrot.

They say now that he didn't sing in his natural voice in Genesis. They always wrote the songs in higher keys, and he struggled. Tony says now that people think Peter's voice got deeper in his solo career, but thats his natural voice and he writes his own songs in that key.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    That's a subtle choice!

Lamia
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Lamia X2

Between Pete's vocals and Steve's soloing, bass pedals, melancholy piano... wow. What a lovely piece of music. I know some purists really despise the Archive 67-75 live version but I like that version, too.

How could Pete not sound great on this track?

The Musical Box (Nursery Cryme). Gabriel's vocal ranges from hard rock chant to quiet folk, but with menace. I really like Steve Hackett's lively guitar playing on this track too.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

"Get 'Em Out by Friday" has a lot of different moods to it, so I'd probably pick that.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Time Table
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Don't forget Sussudio.

There are so many from which to choose, & for many different reasons. But I'm going with Progtopia.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

The Musical Box

Too many to choose from.. Looking for someone, Lamia, end of Suppers Ready.. we all could go on all night with this question.. Peter was consistent throughout his career..

I see faces and traces of home.............back in NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!

Banned
    His emotive vocals on The Light Dies Down on Broadway brings me to tears every time. "Subway sounds, the sounds of complaint...".

Parts of "Supper's Ready" are good as well but I think the album version is marred by the fact that by the end of the song, Gabriel is practically screaming/shrieking to reach the notes. I prefer live versions from 72/73 better.