Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rec.music.progressive

rec.music.progressive

Any regulars of 90s rec.music.progressive here?
    After being moderately active on that in mid 90s I dropped out of such forums, and only have recently discovered this one, which is maybe its heir?

Quote Originally Posted by digestif View Post
    After being moderately active on that in mid 90s I dropped out of such forums, and only have recently discovered this one, which is maybe its heir?
    Heir by bloodline, maybe. Only here we prefer to keep the blood inside the bodies.

I was more a regular on alt.music.yes, but I lurked as well as posted occasionally on rmp

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Yeah, I'm an old rmp guy. Wasn't a whole lot around back in the day. It was good back then.
    Time marches on as they say...
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was on r.m.p and its predecessors going back to when I was mostly just lurking before the big renaming in '87 or so, when it was just net.music. After that it was just rec.music.misc for a few years.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes - I was on r.m.p a lot. Jed Levin.

Can those of you who were also on r.m.p give the names you used there? It'd be a fun trip down memory lane (or should I say Memory Lain, Hugh/Headloss?).

BTW, someone posted something on What's On, What's New about his new album, "Americana," and said his name is Darren Lock. That name sounds very familiar to me, and I thought it might be from r.m.p. Sound familiar to anyone else? I asked him in his thread, but he hasn't checked back in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes - I was on r.m.p a lot.
    Same here. Don't remember my alias. Got the info about PE there ten, eleven years ago. I soon left r.m.p which by then was plagued by wars over religion and politics.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did you by chance use your real name on r.m.p - maybe your email was configured to show your real name after your email address? You don't remember the email address you used either?

One I used was jlevin@panix.com

BTW, r.m.p is still going. It's mostly junk, but there are still some prog related threads there. I only check it occasionally just to see if it still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Heir by bloodline, maybe. Only here we prefer to keep the blood inside the bodies.
    True. PE has some members that were active there but the comparisons stop there. PE was created as an civil alternative to places such as RMP.

I gave up when every other post was spam from "Will Dockery and the Shadowville All-Stars" or some Indian guy posting endless lists and people telling him to f*#$ off.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes - I was on r.m.p a lot. Jed Levin.

Can those of you who were also on r.m.p give the names you used there? It'd be a fun trip down memory lane (or should I say Memory Lain, Hugh/Headloss?).
    I was cosmic,cosmic j and few others now forgotten.I remember R.Carlberg,Steven Davis-Morris,Spacefreak,Progbear,Scippy Lisp,Original irish dick,Raymond D Ricker,Laura in space,Thomas Arena...

I think this was my last post.

This is the earliest r.m.p. post that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by digestif View Post
    A large number of rmp regulars dumped RMP in the early 2000s, and moved over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    True. PE has some members that were active there but the comparisons stop there. PE was created as an civil alternative to places such as RMP.
    What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    I was cosmic,cosmic j and few others now forgotten.I remember R.Carlberg,Steven Davis-Morris,Spacefreak,Progbear,Scippy Lisp,Original irish dick,Raymond D Ricker,Laura in space,Thomas Arena...
    Good examples of Progressive Ears regulars who grew away from RMP.

I went by a few different names - I seem to remember DNG001 being one of them...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    and an excellent job you have done Sean!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I was on AMP and RMP. I think my handle was something like "Hatfield" but I can't remember. I remember some of the true crazies - Sullivan for sure. I remember arguing with TOIB until we actually met and resolved our differences. Towards the end it morphed into rec.music.for.asperger_suffers and I moseyed on over here.

I supplemented my meager grad school fellowship in the mid 1990s by selling vinyl online on rec.music.progressive with the handle 'fragile'

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    A large number of rmp regulars dumped RMP in the early 2000s, and moved over here.

Good examples of Progressive Ears regulars who grew away from RMP.

I went by a few different names - I seem to remember DNG001 being one of them...

More regulars keep coming to mind.L.Perez !

I was on there off and on from around 1999 to about 2003. If I can find some of the papers that I printed from it I will mention some of the names from on there.

First rule of Usenet. We do not talk about Usenet.

I dumped the RMP group back in the late 80's or maybe early 90's I think. Frequented and loved all the discussion music groups back then. Pretty sure I was still "BobM" on them as well.

Hey, anyone remember logging into the college servers as "anonymous" and exploring around?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I was a semi-regular on RMP and AMY between 94 and 98. Lost interest around 2000 after too much politics and arguing/name calling infected RMP. I remember one thread that started out something like "I'm not familiar with Jethro Tull's 1990s work. Which one would you recommend to start?" and within 5/6 posts it was "you are an asshole" followed by "no! you are an asshole".

Whatever it implies about human nature, moderated boards are a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    More regulars keep coming to mind.L.Perez !
    hmm... I don't remember CosmicCosmic. Did you have another handle?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I was on there off and on from around 1999 to about 2003. If I can find some of the papers that I printed from it I will mention some of the names from on there.
    I was there regularly ca. 1996 to 2001,occaniasly to 2004.