Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rec.music.progressive

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Remember the days of BBS (Bulleting Boards)? I've actually been wondering, recently - when you have situations like when the Syrian government allegedly shut down internet access for most of the country - couldn't people who wanted to communicate with others use BBS, or something like it, to do so? All you needed was a PC, phone line, and modem. No broadband or internet required. The Internets are great, but it seems like something like a BBS which doesn't rely on the internet but can be used for information sharing could be useful in these kinds of situations. People in places like China or North Korea should probably be using them all the time.

Connecting to a BBS back in the day was pretty exciting. It was like catching a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I absolutely HATE dwelling in the past
    I find the history of communications interesting. Also new developments in communications, the policy issues that arise, etc. Wired magazine USED to a great to read about these things (especially the new developments, policy issues, etc.) but at some point it lost the ball and became more commercial. Anyone know if Wired is good these days? Is it still even published? I think so...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-17-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Mauro Moroni or Matthew Martens.
    I tangled with Dr. Moroni several times on r.m.p (or a.m.p).

I used to go to Matthew Martens' (of New Sonic Architecture) apartment (he lived with his parents) and buy CDs from him. He lived right across from the Film Forum theater in the West Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Mike Reiss (me)(sporadically)
    I didn't know you were Mike Reiss! Or did I? I don't think so. I definitely remember your name from back then.

Were you on Freaks? I was on Freaks a lot, and a little on NMS, the ELP list, and also the IQ list (IAPH).

I was on there for a few years. Can't remember under what name though...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yep! I used to go there all the time.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Yep! I used to go there all the time.
    Qghost, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone know if Wired is good these days? Is it still even published? I think so...
    Yes it is although I don't pay money for it. It has interesting and often in-depth articles about various aspects of tech, science and pop culture but it's certainly not edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    What Usenet reminds me of is that once upon a time, there was a place where anyone could say anything they wanted (unless it was a moderated newsgroup). We are now forced to deal with massive butthurts and pearl-clutchers who reach for the smelling salts every time someone raises their tone.
    Is it really such an inconvenience to try to be civil to each other?

At least 4chan is still there.
    Anyone pining for the days of insults and personal attacks need look no further than the YouTube comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    We are now forced to deal with massive butthurts and pearl-clutchers who reach for the smelling salts every time someone raises their tone.
    then there's the opposite end of the spectrum which usenet had in abundance...misanthropic knowitalls who pretended to be badass while hiding behind their computer screen with pizza stains on their shirt in their room at mommy and daddy's house.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Where is that damned PE moderator when you really need him? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't know you were Mike Reiss! Or did I? I don't think so. I definitely remember your name from back then.

Were you on Freaks? I was on Freaks a lot, and a little on NMS, the ELP list, and also the IQ list (IAPH).
    Was that progfreaks? I wasn't a reviewer on there but remember the website if it was the one with the frogs on the front page and had a half assed attempt at a progressive rock hall of fame. Lol. I was a reviewer on a site called prognet before Chris Dixon(who started it)took it down. He briefly appeared on PE v 2 for a while a few months before this one appeared but I don't think he made the transition to PE v 3. Anyway, I wrote about 65 reviews on prognet which was nothing compared to Gregar Ronquist(sp), Peter Pardo, Eric Porter and whoever else were prolific regulars on there.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    then there's the opposite end of the spectrum which usenet had in abundance...misanthropic knowitalls who pretended to be badass while hiding behind their computer screen with pizza stains on their shirt in their room at mommy and daddy's house.
    In those days they were more likely to be at work or school, staring at a VT-100 or VGA monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    In those days they were more likely to be at work or school, staring at a VT-100 or VGA monitor.
    heh... prolly... still cyber "bullies" who were really just snot nosed kids (even if they were 40 years old!)
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 05-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Was that progfreaks? I wasn't a reviewer on there but remember the website if it was the one with the frogs on the front page and had a half assed attempt at a progressive rock hall of fame. Lol. I was a reviewer on a site called prognet before Chris Dixon(who started it)took it down. He briefly appeared on PE v 2 for a while a few months before this one appeared but I don't think he made the transition to PE v 3. Anyway, I wrote about 65 reviews on prognet which was nothing compared to Gregar Ronquist(sp), Peter Pardo, Eric Porter and whoever else were prolific regulars on there.
    No, I meant the Marillion mailing list, Freaks. Don't know of Progfreaks.

PE is a much better alternative, I don't recall a single happy birthday thread on RMP, AMY, or AMP

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    PE is a much better alternative, I don't recall a single happy birthday thread on RMP, AMY, or AMP

BG
    Wow.

I used two different screen names on RMP. I can't remember why I changed, but they were both Magma allusions, I think one was Kohntarkosz and the other TheKobaian or something like that. I think it was because I made a domain change (from Prodigy to AOL, probably). The thing I remember was sometime after I made the name change, I think someone put two and two together and asked one day, "I have to ask, are Kohntarkosz and TheKobaian the same person, or separated at birth?". The response someone else posted was, "Well, this new guy hasn't posted anything about Uriah Heep, Kiss, or Queen, so I vote for 'separated at birth'".

GuitarGeek -- I remember you as TheKobaian. If I recall correctly, you were one of the more prolific commenters there. If I recall correctly, I used the same name there that I use here.

Yeah, I remember TheKobaian. Didn't know that was you.

I remember Splicer too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

BG
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ssive/birthday

I was on RMP a lot from 1997 to 2003, posted all over that newsgroup. Everyone fought like crazy there, often a nasty place. I joined PE in 2002, but spent the bulk of my time on RMP. Thanks to a knee injury late in 03, I didn't have access to my desktop computer for two months, and didn't remember my password. So I used a laptop and discovered how much better PE was. I did learn of a lot of great prog on RMP, but the format was terrible, and the lack of any moderators took away from my enjoyment. Only so many times you can take getting verbally abused and keep up the enthusiasm. I'm amazed I was on there 5 and a half years, but I guess I just thought there wasn't anything better. Boy was I wrong! One of the moderators of PE turned me on to this place, I'm so thankful.

I can't remember if I was Yanks on there, or possibly YYZMOOSE. It's been nearly a decade, hard to remember such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post

I can't remember if I was Yanks on there, or possibly YYZMOOSE. It's been nearly a decade, hard to remember such things.
    there was a ThomasArena there IIRC... are you the same Thomas?

there was a ThomasArena there IIRC... are you the same Thomas?
    Yup, that was me. I made it sound like I hated RMP, and that is really not the case, as I spent thousands of hours there. But it could get very frustrating. My thirst for prog in the late 90's was off the charts, so I put up with the bad, but really enjoyed my time there overall.

The Gibraltar Encyclopedia was my go to for learning about prog in the '90s. It's still there, frames and all!

here's a blast from USENET past -

douchenozzle69@aol.com said:

ME TOO
    Buster

"tonal poems of an aesthetic value, not intended for dancing, sexual stimulation, or selling sneakers" - Stuart Mutner