Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zappa - Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Zappa - Burnt Weenie Sandwich

One of the Zappa albums missing from my collection. Do I Need this and how does this rate with Zappateers....

If you like the fusion period of FZ, you absolutely need it

This album along, with Weasels Ripped My Flesh are "odds and ends" compliations of Mothers of Invention material recorded between 1967 and 1969, both live and in studio. Weasels was more live and Burnt Weenie is more studio. I think both are excellent and would consider both to be absolute must-haves for fans of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I think both are excellent and would consider both to be absolute must-haves for fans of the band.
    WORD!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This was the first Zappa record I heard. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite album by him but, for me at least, this one is essential.
    Holiday In Berlin, Full Blown remains the piece that encapsulates everything I love about Frank's composition, not to mention one of the most magical intros in all rock music. The overall sound of this album is just so beautiful too.
    This, Weasels and Uncle Meat are certainly the three that absolutely pulled me in and confirmed me as a Zappa fan.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    The late-sixties fusion period, that is. Not the more commonly connected era associated with "fusion": the 1970s. Burnt Weenie Sandwich is much more unpolished, *raw* and weird compared to stuff like RDNZL, Regyptian Strut, etc., etc.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    This, Weasels and Uncle Meat are certainly the three that absolutely pulled me in and confirmed me as a Zappa fan.
    WORD!

[well, I add We're Only In It For The Money to the trilogy and it's truly WORD!]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This was the first Zappa record I heard. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite album by him but, for me at least, this one is essential.
    Holiday In Berlin, Full Blown remains the piece that encapsulates everything I love about Frank's composition
    I smile just thinking about that tune. It wasn't just Frank's lyrics that could make me lol; sometimes it was the music itself. The Guy Lombardo sax in that tune slays me!

Yes, I'd say you need "Burnt Weenie Sandwich!"

No question. Absolutely a must have. Sugar Cane Harris!

Absolutely you need it. One of the first Zappa albums I got and sealed the deal that I should really get quite a few more. Still one of my favorite Zappas.

Yes, an unholy trilogy. The pure span of ideas and accomplishments caught herein is nothing short of staggering. There was never really anything like this again, although HCow, Magma, Marcoeur and others would make progressive rock music in the 70s which almost reached the same heights of vision and innovation.

"Holiday in Berlin" and "Little House I Used to Live In" are two of Zappa's finest works ever, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Definitely a classic album. I have the first CD release, on Barking Pumpkin. I've heard there's been subsequent reissues that are better quality, but what I have is just fine. I even dig the two doo wop tunes that bookend the album.

You absolutely need this. I dragged my feet in getting it and wished I’d gotten it years before. “Little House I Used to Live In” is the apex of what I call Frank’s “cartoon orchestra” style of the late 60s and is one of my favourite compositions by him, ever. The other instrumentals are likewise excellent and the doo-wop tracks that bookend the disc, while not terribly substantial, are cute. The foul-mouthed Spanish at the end of “WPLJ” always makes me laugh.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Virgin on the Ridiculous”-Caravan/Caravan & the New Symphonia

Essential.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There was never really anything like this again, although HCow, Magma, Marcoeur and others would make progressive rock music in the 70s which almost reached the same heights of vision and innovation.
    Absolutely, as a relative newcomer to Marcoeur (the last couple of years) I am discovering an exciting and rich seam of beauty hitherto unknown to me. But yes, those are the artists, along with Tim Smith, I would rank up there with Zappa. There seems something incredibly generous about their music.

A fine album indeed. I have all the early ones on vinyl still. I missed Uncle Meat somehow and now have it on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I smile just thinking about that tune. It wasn't just Frank's lyrics that could make me lol; sometimes it was the music itself. The Guy Lombardo sax in that tune slays me!

Yes, I'd say you need "Burnt Weenie Sandwich!"
    yeah, a lot of people mightn't get the Lombardo reference but as a Canadian used to his yearly Auld Lang Syne, i nearly died laughing when i heard it. DEAD ON perfect rendition and cool in all the ways Guy actually was

i'd also mention the piano intro to "Little House..." which had a big impact on me - such a beautiful and abstract contemporary composition in the middle of all his usual wondrous silliness.

man, i miss Frank

anyway, YES - buy this album today.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Yes, Anthony, you need it. It's a brilliant record and "Little House I Used to Live In" is killer jazz / rock / fusion. Get it's sister, "Weasels Ripped my Flesh", too as they are really a two record set, sold separately. Just make sure you get the 2012 remaster ... it's unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Holiday in Berlin" and "Little House I Used to Live In" are two of Zappa's finest works ever, IMO.
    Exactly. The rest of this album is mediocre at best, but these two tracks (and Little House is lengthy at about 18 minutes) are well worth it. This is my favorite release from Zappa's MOI period.

Yes. You need this album.

When I discovered FZ most of his early stuff was OOP because of his fight with Warner Bros. I first heard this album when Ryko started releasing his stuff on cd. Burnt Weenie hooked me on a first listen. Been a favorite ever since.
    E

Quote Originally Posted by E() View Post
    Yes. You need this album.

When I discovered FZ most of his early stuff was OOP because of his fight with Warner Bros. I first heard this album when Ryko started releasing his stuff on cd. Burnt Weenie hooked me on a first listen. Been a favorite ever since.
    I suspect most of those albums would have gone out of print whether or not Frank got into litigation with Warners. According to Wikipedia, Warners kept the albums they had originally released in print until 1981, which was well after Frank's legal problems with the label, so I don't think one had anything to do with the other.

Wow. I was going to chime in on this one but those who have posted have captured my thoughts exactly. Nicely done, group! So yeah, you need to buy Burnt Weenie Sandwich.

I got the original vinyl of this from a friend over 30 years ago. He needed money and sold me BWS, Mothermania, Absolutely Free, We're only in it for the Money, Ruben and the Jets and 200 Motels for 3-4 bucks apiece.