Thread: What The Police would sound like if....

What The Police would sound like if....

....they were still together today. Bloody great song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0

'cos you can't tell me Bruno Mars hasn't searched the following words on Youtube and listened to the obvious influential results:

Mars = David Bowie
    Moon = The Police, Symarip
    Sun = Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder

Hence, IMO, his excellent very "white reggae" sound

I could do without the guy tapping out the "hiccup" vocal, but otherwise I love the song.

Does anyone else hear a similarity to John Elefante of Kansas around the 2:42 mark of the tune?
    (maybe more in the background vocals at that point)

Compare and contrast, Bruno has many of the younger Sting's vocal stylings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkz4WRjpgec

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I could do without the guy tapping out the "hiccup" vocal, but otherwise I love the song.
    Agreed. Although, that's my daughter's favorite part of the song.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not really a fan, but Mars is an incredible talent. I have seen him on TV a few times (awards shows, halftime shows, and various other live appearences) and they guy has blown me away. The guy is amazing on many levels.

Steve Sly

I don't hear a whole lot of Police in Bruno's stuff aside from the obvious reggae influence (and Bruno grew up in Honolulu, Oahu, where reggae is fairly popular), but my girlfriend loves him and she also loves Sting, so maybe you're on to something! Not only do I hear Bruno a lot at home (with my girl and her daughter frequently playing his two albums), but I'm now playing "Locked Out of Heaven" with the cover band I tour with. I'm not crazy about his music, but I don't dislike it either and I will admit that the guy can certainly SING! I find his lyrics to often be a bit juvenile, but what do I know; he's getting "all those young wild girls" and I'm not. At any rate, he's a talented guy and it'll be interesting to see if his music evolves and where it'll go. He already covers a lot more musical ground than most of his pop star contemporaries.
    Last edited by No Pride; 05-14-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ...if Sting didm't sing with a fake Jamaican accent?

Well The Police influence and the reggae touches are clearly intentional and accepted by both Mars and Sting, my wife just told me about this performance which I had no idea about, Sting & Mars performing this song as a tribute to Marley....you see I knew my ears were correct the first time I heard the song 2 days ago. And then it morphs into Walking on the Moon about 2.40 in....and then Damien and Ziggy Marley and Rihanna join them on stage to perform Could You Be Loved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvjwUKA4pc

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I could do without the guy tapping out the "hiccup" vocal,
    It does the same thing as the backbeat clank guitar on lots of Police songs.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I don't hear a whole lot of Police in Bruno's stuff aside from the obvious reggae influence (and Bruno grew up in Honolulu, Oahu, where reggae is fairly popular), but my girlfriend loves him and she also loves Sting, so maybe you're on to something!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvjwUKA4pc

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Way cool! My girl's gonna flip out, seeing two of her biggest idols on stage together! Sting's in great form too, hope he was in that "still can sing" thread, or whatever it was called.

Well The Police influence and the reggae touches are clearly intentional and accepted by both Mars and Sting
    So if a Reggae band covered a song by a Japanese band, should the singer affect a fake Japanese accent?

Whatever, it's just a pet peeve of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So if a Reggae band covered a song by a Japanese band, should the singer affect a fake Japanese accent?
    Abso-root-ly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Abso-root-ly.
    Mon!

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about....who has a fake accent?

We covered this in another thread & many British singers are on record as saying that back in the day (50s to 70s) an American accent was expected of British singers.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about....who has a fake accent?
    Sting.

We covered this in another thread & many British singers are on record as saying that back in the day (50s to 70s) an American accent was expected of British singers.
    I don't even know what an American accent sounds like, really. Just lack of a British accent, I think. Of course, there are lots of regional American accents.

Funny, I think I've heard this song exactly twice before now, and my first reaction was that it sounded like the Po-Po as well. Not a bad thing, as I'm a fan from way back.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy