Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum

Jefferson James

Mike, can you tell us a bit about this tune? (Shine on, American Dreamer)

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Cool Jay - I'm jazzed about Steve Morse opening too, that's going to be fantastic. My best to you and your son!
    Sorry to see Steve Morse is not playing in Oakland, "special guest" instead.

In usually keep up with Joe and any new release of his, but I had no idea he had a new album out. I loved "Black Swans", for me his best work since "Strange Beautiful Music", so I will have to get the new one. The NY gig on the tour is a weekday, I sure hope there is a NJ/NJ/PA date added on a weekend. Have not seen Joe play live since 2002, that is too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    In usually keep up with Joe and any new release of his, but I had no idea he had a new album out. I loved "Black Swans", for me his best work since "Strange Beautiful Music", so I will have to get the new one. The NY gig on the tour is a weekday, I sure hope there is a NJ/NJ/PA date added on a weekend. Have not seen Joe play live since 2002, that is too long ago.
    The Philly date is Saturday September 28.

Sean - re: Shine On...not sure what inspired the title (I'll ask him later). The melody line is something Joe thinks of as "psychedelic," I think it puts him in a particular place mentally when he plays it. I'll try to get some more insight from him about it if you like.

rapidfirerob, I've heard other possibilities about who might be opening in Oakland, and I think you won't be disappointed, but sorry about Steve not being able to play that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I would be slightly intimidated playing guitar on stage next to Satch.
    Ahh, not so sure about that IMHO ... MK can certainly hold his own!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Ahh, not so sure about that IMHO ... MK can certainly hold his own!
    Once again, as I stated previously, it was not a comment about Mike's playing (which is incredible, BTW). I stated that "I" would be intimidated.

Joe is on the cover of the new Guitar Player mag and has some very nice things to say about Mike and the band on the CD. Worth a look! Mike, do you think hanging around with you has in any way inspired Joe to change his writing style somewhat? I would think he would have heard some of your CDs by now and might have wished to make an album that is as diverse and unpredictable as most of your work is. Just curious. They are touting this as a diverse CD for Joe and I wonder if you were part of the spark that ignited that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Joe is on the cover of the new Guitar Player mag and has some very nice things to say about Mike and the band on the CD. Worth a look! Mike, do you think hanging around with you has in any way inspired Joe to change his writing style somewhat? I would think he would have heard some of your CDs by now and might have wished to make an album that is as diverse and unpredictable as most of your work is. Just curious. They are touting this as a diverse CD for Joe and I wonder if you were part of the spark that ignited that.
    I wonder that as well. Joe is a great player, and I love to see him rip. However, his songwriting has grown stale for me over the years, and I'd love to see him stretch himself in that category; even Chickenfoot wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it could've been. Now, having said that, I'll have to say I've not yet heard his latest.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Joe is on the cover of the new Guitar Player mag and has some very nice things to say about Mike and the band on the CD. Worth a look! Mike, do you think hanging around with you has in any way inspired Joe to change his writing style somewhat? I would think he would have heard some of your CDs by now and might have wished to make an album that is as diverse and unpredictable as most of your work is.
    Been subscribed to GP Magazine for the better part of my life, so naturally I read the interview. It was great to see him hand out kudos to Mike!

It's always been my guess that Joe has consciously tried to reach a wide audience with his music from "Surfing with the Alien" on. And that was sort of confirmed when my friend and Lt. Dan Bandmate, Danny Gottlieb told me that he did a short European tour with Satch and Jonas Hellborg and Joe told him that "Not of This Earth" (my favorite album of his) didn't do so well and he planned on pulling out all the stops on the next one (which of course was SwtA). Obviously that worked out smashingly well for him and I think he's stayed the course ever since, although there have been some more progressive moments from time to time, especially on "Crystal Planet." Haven't heard the new one, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see Joe's music come close to the level of substance and sophistication that Mr. Keneally's has consistently delivered. No diss on Satch; he's a great player and I think he's capable of making some music that's (let's say) a bit more "proggy," but I suspect he doesn't want to alienate his fan base, no pun intended. This is one instance where I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    even Chickenfoot wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it could've been.
    It was exactly what I expected. Lame, in spite of Satch.

Sean: re: Shine On American Dreamer, Joe said he was thinking about the financial status of the US, and how basically every president of the last 40 years has in their way systematically dismantled any hope of achieving what was once thought of by Joe's parents and others as "the American dream," with disastrous worldwide implications...and how it's now the job of each American to do whatever can be done to rebuild...and that's the music that came to him as he contemplated all of that.

In answer to your other question, Joe has listened to a bunch of my albums - has it affected his writing? I think somewhat, to the extent that be now writes things with the awareness that I'll be playing them and I think he likes to come up with things that I'll enjoy playing and sometimes devising my own parts for...but I don't know that I hear too much in there that's overtly Keneallyesque compositionally...I don't think he's ready to endanger his sales figures that much

Every American needs to do what people in other countries fight for (and sometimes die for). And that is ...VOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Every American needs to do what people in other countries fight for (and sometimes die for). And that is ...VOTE.
    Uhh, where the heck did THAT come from?!?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

he now writes things with the awareness that I'll be playing them and I think he likes to come up with things that I'll enjoy playing and sometimes devising my own parts for.
    That's really cool.

Probably from Mr. Keneally's first paragraph in post #38.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sean - re: Shine On...not sure what inspired the title (I'll ask him later). The melody line is something Joe thinks of as "psychedelic," I think it puts him in a particular place mentally when he plays it. I'll try to get some more insight from him about it if you like.

rapidfirerob, I've heard other possibilities about who might be opening in Oakland, and I think you won't be disappointed, but sorry about Steve not being able to play that one.
    Can it mean The Mike Keneally Band opening, or possibly The Bryan Beller Band? Saw that tour at Biscuits and Blues in SF.

Just vote..., ok?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

chalkpie
    Just saw this. Keneally - you slay on this. I prefer your playing, well by a few hundred miles, to be perfectly Frank.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Been subscribed to GP Magazine for the better part of my life, so naturally I read the interview. It was great to see him hand out kudos to Mike!

It's always been my guess that Joe has consciously tried to reach a wide audience with his music from "Surfing with the Alien" on. And that was sort of confirmed when my friend and Lt. Dan Bandmate, Danny Gottlieb told me that he did a short European tour with Satch and Jonas Hellborg and Joe told him that "Not of This Earth" (my favorite album of his) didn't do so well and he planned on pulling out all the stops on the next one (which of course was SwtA). Obviously that worked out smashingly well for him and I think he's stayed the course ever since, although there have been some more progressive moments from time to time, especially on "Crystal Planet." Haven't heard the new one, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see Joe's music come close to the level of substance and sophistication that Mr. Keneally's has consistently delivered. No diss on Satch; he's a great player and I think he's capable of making some music that's (let's say) a bit more "proggy," but I suspect he doesn't want to alienate his fan base, no pun intended. This is one instance where I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
    Comparing Satriani to Keneally as a composer is a joke. It's like comparing Styx to Shostakovich.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Comparing Satriani to Keneally as a composer is a joke. It's like comparing Styx to Shostakovich.
    Well, I wasn't. And I wouldn't!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well, I wasn't. And I wouldn't!
    Oh I know you weren't - I was just responding to your last sentence It ain't gonna be me who proves you wrong!

Hope you can make it to a gig Thomas!
    I sure did! Saw you tonight at the Fox Theater in Oakland! You and Joe sizzled in your guitar duels, and I'm really glad you emphasized the new material, because it rocked! Another highlight for me was "Cryin'"... I think I actually was! Bryan and Marco provided supersonic support, too. And the visuals augmented things perfectly. Great show! Living Colour was also a good opening act... their bass and drum solos were quite good!

The more elaborate keyboard textures have meant a doubling of my keyboard arsenal, plus a virtual synth and computer monitor onstage.
    It hurt MY back watching you lean over those keyboards. I hope it hasn't been too painful!

Plus I'm playing guitar on this tour (my first time playing guitar in Joe's band)
    You and Joe had great chemistry onstage exchanging fours. Probably by the time this show came around, you had the whole thing down to a T, because it looked effortless. Again, great job!