Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Kerman here?

chalkpie
    GOAT and your MOM. Brilliant on so many levels.

chalkpie
    Where is everyone you pu$$ies? Is that too far out there for you? He's even got a cape on for the Yes fans.

Like I said, this thread will be the longest in history.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    "Where did you record this?!"

Goat fan Udi? If so, you just climbed the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

This sounds like total ass at 240p, but this is the tune that started it all! This guy is a genius with texture, and implements these field recordings/sound effects/percussion/etc. like a cosmic sprinkling into this music like a masterful orchestrator. SO oddball too, but just gorgeous. Did this guy tour a lot in the 70's? Does he have a pro live album?
    Fabulous album I was fortunate to hear back in the 70's so I've stuck with Marcoeur ever since. He's not made a bad album to date. He did play live but I don't think he ever toured very far beyond France and Belgium. Certainly never been to the UK so I went to France to see him for the release of the L' album and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped for. All his albums are available for download on CDbaby. He's never done a live album - he is meticulous about what he releases and I'm sure he's got a lot of stuff he's never released - if you've heard any of the bonus tracks he gives away if you buy his albums direct from him, you'll see even the stuff he rejects for his albums is top quality. He's also done a lot of scores for theatre and film, only one of which has ever seen a release (and that was on a limited edition cassette).

Have you heard the second album? There's a track on there that starts with a brief round of car horns -

here's how it was recorded In Albert's own words:

"To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
    sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
    once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and more fun. The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
    in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
    Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five "vehiclists" started their instruments.
    As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
    get the crescendos in the right places. After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
    Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
    Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
    at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
    fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
    had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."
    Last edited by alanterrill; 02-05-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: missed out video

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Fabulous album I was fortunate to hear back in the 70's so I've stuck with Marcoeur ever since. He's not made a bad album to date. He did play live but I don't think he ever toured very far beyond France and Belgium. Certainly never been to the UK so I went to France to see him for the release of the L' album and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped for. All his albums are available for download on CDbaby. He's never done a live album - he is meticulous about what he releases and I'm sure he's got a lot of stuff he's never released - if you've heard any of the bonus tracks he gives away if you buy his albums direct from him, you'll see even the stuff he rejects for his albums is top quality. He's also done a lot of scores for theatre and film, only one of which has ever seen a release (and that was on a limited edition cassette).

Have you heard the second album? There's a track on there that starts with a brief round of car horns -

here's how it was recorded In Albert's own words:

"To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
    sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
    once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and more fun. The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
    in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
    Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five "vehiclists" started their instruments.
    As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
    get the crescendos in the right places. After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
    Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
    Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
    at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
    fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
    had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."
    This is all great info Alan - many thanks mate. Great to see you fully appreciating the brilliance of this man and his music.

To answer your question - yes I have his 1st four albums, plus "L Apostrophe" and "Ma vie avec elles". I love them all, but I more familiar with the 1st 4 through "Joseph". Gun to my head - I still love his s/t the best, but they are all gems.

I will probably pick up the rest via CDBaby (FLAC) since the discs are so damn pricey. I also have vinyl rips from a friend of the 1st four but they are full of the dreaded 'pops and clicks', so that's the price you pay for the warmth I suppose. I do find the CD issues on the bright side for my taste; I wish Bob or Udi could remaster these things and really make them sound great. I'm too lazy to dig them out and see who mastered these to disc. The albums were impeccably recorded for the most part, so the potential is there. Maybe folks love the sound of these discs - I dunno? Maybe Jeff "Carndog" can chime in if he sees this and is a fan of AM?

This is all great info Alan - many thanks mate. Great to see you fully appreciating the brilliance of this man and his music.

To answer your question - yes I have his 1st four albums, plus "L Apostrophe" and "Ma vie avec elles". I love them all, but I more familiar with the 1st 4 through "Joseph". Gun to my head - I still love his s/t the best, but they are all gems.

I will probably pick up the rest via CDBaby (FLAC) since the discs are so damn pricey. I also have vinyl rips from a friend of the 1st four but they are full of the dreaded 'pops and clicks', so that's the price you pay for the warmth I suppose. I do find the CD issues on the bright side for my taste; I wish Bob or Udi could remaster these things and really make them sound great. I'm too lazy to dig them out and see who mastered these to disc. The albums were impeccably recorded for the most part, so the potential is there. Maybe folks love the sound of these discs - I dunno? Maybe Jeff "Carndog" can chime in if he sees this and is a fan of AM?
    Frankie -The initial double cds blows the AM separate remasters out of the water
    They really butchered those albums
    I was told by Cedric Vuille the vinyl sounds way better then any of the cd editions..
    I did try to persuade a label to rerelease these on vinyl but in these days its highly unlikely to happen

chalkpie
    Frankie -The initial double cds blows the AM separate remasters out of the water
    They really butchered those albums
    I was told by Cedric Vuille the vinyl sounds way better then any of the cd editions..
    I did try to persuade a label to rerelease these on vinyl but in these days its highly unlikely to happen
    What an absolute shame.

It's like a great artist that creates a masterpiece painting and the only way for people to view it is through a 2 inch cloudy pane of glass. If AM is such a perfectionist, then why would he allow his art to be presented in a half-assed manner? Unless he had no say whatsoever in this process - I have no idea - maybe Dave or Steve know more about this subject regarding the inner workings of having these albums remastered?

Udi - you should remaster these!

GOAT and your MOM. Brilliant on so many levels.

That dude is definitely a progger. You can tell by the socks.
    <sig out of order>

The sad fact is that AM was there and fully oversaw the mastering...

What an absolute shame.

It's like a great artist that creates a masterpiece painting and the only way for people to view it is through a 2 inch cloudy pane of glass. If AM is such a perfectionist, then why would he allow his art to be presented in a half-assed manner? Unless he had no say whatsoever in this process - I have no idea - maybe Dave or Steve know more about this subject regarding the inner workings of having these albums remastered?

Udi - you should remaster these!

Yes that's what I heard -as with the VDGG remasters it seems although the artists themselves were involved the end results are too compressed. But Albert and VDGG are all now in their sixties. Even at the time of the remastering they would have been experiencing normal age related threshold change, meaning they'd have difficulty in hearing quieter sounds so they'd tend to turn them up on remastering to compensate for their own hearing losses. I'm 60 and I know my hearing is not what it was, so I don't hear any problem with these remasters. I used to calibrate audiometers and even in my 40s I could see my high frequencies dropping off each time I tested myself. I don't know how old you are Udi, but I wonder if you get your hearing checked routinely? Not that you can avoid what time and nature will do to you but you should be aware that what sounded like the perfect mix 10 years ago, may not sound the same to you now.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I don't know how old you are Udi, but I wonder if you get your hearing checked routinely? Not that you can avoid what time and nature will do to you but you should be aware that what sounded like the perfect mix 10 years ago, may not sound the same to you now.

Stuff I did 10 years ago mostly sound ok for me but Nothing I do ever sounds perfect to me
    Its a curse LOL
    I am much more aware of slow shifts in my taste and aesthetic
    I don't work in a vacuum I work with fellow musicians and label owners whom I highly respect, and their feedback and input is a part of my workflow.
    I also have a circle of colleges and we regularly share and advice each others work
    Hearing loss is a fact of life and awareness always helps

Unless he had no say whatsoever in this process
    Since he reissued them on his own label, I assume that this is what he wanted.

Beyond that, I have no clue.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I discussed this with someone who is friends with Albert and Claude

^Have these guys been listening to Meshuggah or what?

^ I dig it! Drumming is outrageously good. This tune popped up next and its also quite good.....I Just wasn't expecting those clean vocals! Actually has a PT vibe in one spot.

Frankie ?
    Dave ?

Last edited by Udi Koomran; 09-01-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Frankie ?
    Dave ?
    Yes?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

BTW Udester - that Car Bomb album is killer imo (Meta)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Probably a new 5uu's in 2014 or 15.
    oh my gosh I hope this is still in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    oh my gosh I hope this is still in the works!
    Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Don't think so.