Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule

I assume this goes here instead of the main forum...
    I'm sort of a casual/curious Mule fan - I have High & Mighty and By A Thread and one live bootleg (I've been recommended to stick with live stuff). I just bought a new copy of Mulennium and wondered if there's anyone here that does not like it. I haven't heard it yet. probably will start disc 1 on the drive to work tomorrow.

You need to start with the first album, and "Dose" (the second album). When this band was a power trio they were awesome. They're still pretty badass but they were better when they had Allen Woody on bass (RIP). Get the first 2 albums. They are the best Mule albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You need to start with the first album, and "Dose" (the second album). When this band was a power trio they were awesome. They're still pretty badass but they were better when they had Allen Woody on bass (RIP). Get the first 2 albums. They are the best Mule albums.
    Agreed, but I would add the third one as well, "Life Before Insanity." The first one sounds like it was recorded live in the studio, not much overdubbing done and is as good as any live Mule music IMO. Woody's death really hurt the band and Warren. I don't think Warren's reached the same height since.

Rick

Banned
    Does anyone have Deja Voodoo. That's the only one I have by them. I haven't listened to it yet, but this thread has me thinking that maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Woody's death really hurt the band and Warren. I don't think Warren's reached the same height since.

Rick
    i would pretty much agree and was pretty biased until i heard High & Mighty - way, way, way better than i expected, up there with the Woody albums imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Agreed!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I did not get into the mule until after Woody was gone, so I like their newer stuff pretty much equally to the older stuff, but I don’t have the album that you mention. I am hoping to see these guys again this summer assuming I can get tickets.

Steve Sly

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    As with the other bands that Haynes is involved with, their best work is on their live albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Does anyone have Deja Voodoo. That's the only one I have by them. I haven't listened to it yet, but this thread has me thinking that maybe I should.
    That was actually the first Gov't Mule album I ever bought. From there I just randomly bought all the studio albums. I'd heard of Gov't Mule years ago but didn't give them a try until after I heard "Hittin' The Note" by the Allman Bros. Band. I was laready familiar with Warren Haynes from the ABB album "Seven Turns." On a music forum I visited (not PE) someone recommended Gov't Mule, so I just grabbed a random Mule CD. It was Deja Voodoo.

I love Deja Voodoo. By Mule standards, and long time fans, it's not all that great. I really love it. It's a long album, which could've used some editing but the majority of the songs are just great, great tracks. I instantly became a Warren Haynes fan after I heard Deja Voodoo. Now, when I got around to hearing Dose and the s/t CDs I was completely knocked over. The Mule never sounded the same again after the first two albums.

I think Jorgen Carlsson has brought back the Woody vibe.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I agree with the other comments to get the first three albums. I love the power trio dynamics present there. After that I lost interest with subsequent albums with the fuller sound of added keyboards, just sounded very ordinary.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

An aspect of this band that I like a lot is they do some unusual covers. in particular, i've heard at least 1 or 2 solid, killer versions of When the Music's Over, which is one of my favorite Doors songs, especially on bootlegs of Doors shows. The Mule nails that one.

My favorite band and my favorite guitarist......Warren can do no wrong in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    An aspect of this band that I like a lot is they do some unusual covers. in particular, i've heard at least 1 or 2 solid, killer versions of When the Music's Over, which is one of my favorite Doors songs, especially on bootlegs of Doors shows. The Mule nails that one.
    Yes, they do some killer covers. What I like is that they make the covers their own. It's a cover, but still uniquely "Mule."
    E

Someone on here I believe made mention to Warren going into the instrumental part of Gates of Delirium during a show. They did use Squire on The Deep End. Warren doesn't stick to one style of music.

Rick

Banned
    A real young Warren is hilighted with David Allan Coe. The main song starts about two minutes in after DAC does some Dylan nonsense. I once saw this band in a biker bar in Athens GA.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I assume this goes here instead of the main forum...
    I'm sort of a casual/curious Mule fan - I have High & Mighty and By A Thread and one live bootleg (I've been recommended to stick with live stuff). I just bought a new copy of Mulennium and wondered if there's anyone here that does not like it. I haven't heard it yet. probably will start disc 1 on the drive to work tomorrow.
    I had not heard Mulennium yet but I did dig this up:

I agree with the first 3 and any live stuff you can track down with Allen Woody. I saw them one time with Woody on the tour for the second album and it was stunning.

I also highly recommend The Deepest End DVD/CD, with all the many guest bassists, and awesome performance from a one night 6 hour show:

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Someone on here I believe made mention to Warren going into the instrumental part of Gates of Delirium during a show. They did use Squire on The Deep End. Warren doesn't stick to one style of music.

Rick
    Wasn't Jason Newsted also on The Deep End?

I also highly recommend The Deepest End DVD/CD, with all the many guest bassists, and awesome performance from a one night 6 hour show:
    I highly recommend it too. There are lots of long jams, and lots of guest musicians. The list of guests is endless. I really dig the studio, Deep End albums too. Warren Haynes has to be one of the most sought after musicians in the classic/rock and jam/band scene.

Quote Originally Posted by E() View Post
    Yes, they do some killer covers. What I like is that they make the covers their own. It's a cover, but still uniquely "Mule."
    I understand. That's what I was getting at about the Doors cover.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Acc. to their Facebook page, they have a new album coming out in September on Blue Note of all labels, and the CD comes with an extra disc that contains a complete version of the album sung by guest vocalists.

Saw the Mule on Thursday night. Awsome 3 hour show. These guys are still great.

Steve Sly

Saw Gov’t Mule outdoors at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids MI on Thursday night. Could not have been a more perfect evening with sunny skies and the temp in the low 70’s. The Mule were great as always with everyone playing very well. They did 3 hours with about a 30 minute intermission. Here is the set list:
    SET 1:

THORAZINE SHUFFLE
    BEAUTIFULLY BROKEN
    BIRTH OF THE MULE
    GAME FACE
    SCARED TO LIVE
    BAD LITTLE DOGGIE
    LOLA LEAVE YOUR LIGHT ON

SET 2:

GORDON JAMES
    FROZEN FEAR
    SUN DANCE
    DRUM SOLO
    MONDAY MORNING BREAKDOWN
    IF HEARTACHES WERE NICKLES
    LARGER THAN LIFE
    BLINDMAN IN THE DARK

ENCORE:

BUS STOP (HOLLIES COVER)

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Mule were great as always with everyone playing very well.

I totally agree, The Mule are a great band, especially Live.

I've only seen 'em live once. I love Gov't Mule. Their last album was pretty good. I like the bassist they have now. I hope the next album exceeds my expectations. The last two albums have been good but not great.