Thread: Auto Thread

Banned

Auto Thread

To continue a thread about SAAB any other vehicle info or discussion

Subscribed
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    Mattel's Hot Wheels division teamed up with General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) to create a special Hot Wheels version of the Chevrolet Camaro.
    The special edition car, revealed at a custom car trade show recently, will only be available for a limited time and will cost about $7,000 more than a standard-issue Camaro.

Attached Images Attached Images

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I subscribed too. As a first-time car owner, I do have occasional questions.

Of little practical purpose, but interesting: Motor Trend just gave their Car of the Year award to to the Tesla Model S.

Yes, it's impractically expensive - but no more so than the Mercedes AMG, BMW M-series, or turbo V8 Audi models that are its direct competitors. The biggest real differences are that the Tesla can carry more people and luggage, it's quieter, it has a bit less range, and it takes longer to fuel up. And anyway, just as Tesla did at first with the pricy and impractical Roadster, they're building a high-end, high-profit model and plowing the money back in to finance the design and tooling-up for something more affordable. They apparently plan to continue that strategy by building a high-end SUV - but next will come a model comparable to a Nissan Leaf or Prius, and priced about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Of little practical purpose, but interesting: Motor Trend just gave their Car of the Year award to to the Tesla Model S.
    As I understand it, the "S" will be a gas-electric, rather like the Volt.

It's the only system that makes ANY sense to me. Great energy efficiency on typical short trips, but no 'range anxiety'. (At least - until a diesel electric comes out.)

I could not buy a limited range car because I often do long trips. E.g. for work, in half of 2010 and all of 2011, I drove to a town 250 miles away on Sunday nights, and drove home on Thursday evenings. Another time, I had a client in Baltimore for a year - which was about 55 miles away.

No way a 'liquorice car could handle that sort of range. But a Volt or a Tesla "S" could...
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've had some real dog cars over the years but my last two have been an absolute joy. I used to drive an Mr2 Spyder that was loads of fun, now have a BMW 328xi that is probably the nicest car I've ever driven
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've had 3 BMWs and agree - they're great.

Enjoying my Infiniti G35 now, though it's getting a bit old...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    As I understand it, the "S" will be a gas-electric, rather like the Volt.
    Nope, it's a pure electric. But the top-of-the-line model has a 265-mile range. To charge it on longer trips, Tesla is building a network of "Supercharger" stations, which produce 480-volt DC and will charge it relatively quickly. There are already six open in California, and they're planning to next build them all the way up and down the West Coast. Then across the country. Interestingly enough, charge-ups are FREE for the life of the car - try doing that in your AMG!

Unfortunately, these won't work on any other electric cars or even earlier Tesla models - the current and the plug as well are nonstandard.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Electric schmelectric. I just picked up a Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7 L iForce V8. Surprisingly smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride for a truck! And what a rocket ship!

I'm gonna buy a 4 seater convertible as my next wheels.....trying to decide what. BMW, maybe. Possibly a Lexus. Any ideas? A bit sporty, but not "coupe" sporty--i.e., no Miatas or Z's...

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I'm gonna buy a 4 seater convertible as my next wheels.....trying to decide what. BMW, maybe. Possibly a Lexus. Any ideas? A bit sporty, but not "coupe" sporty--i.e., no Miatas or Z's...
    Infiniti G37?

(If I were to get a convertible, it would be a folding hardtop.)
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks, Duncan, for the rec...agree, I've narrowed it down to hardtops, myself....

L-88 Camaro; gas guzzling high horsepower rocket ship on wheels.

Banned
    (At least - until a diesel electric comes out.).
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...el-hybrid.html
    volvo-xc90_1683281g.jpg
    Volvo has started series production of its V60 Plug-in Hybrid ahead of first customer deliveries in early 2013. After an initial batch of 1,000 cars, which is already sold out, production will increase to 4,000-6,000 cars from model year 2014.

Well, we're hooning around town in one of these at the moment

It's great fun!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    Well, we're hooning around town in one of these at the moment

It's great fun!
    Very cool! My parents had the original Fiat 500 when I was a kid, and one of my cycling buddies has the same car as yours (though - not the Abarth).
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    You do realize you'll be doing more of the driving to concerts in the future Mr. Sporty, but no coupe sporty.

I figured that would be part of the deal, yes.

I usually get lucky finding used cars from customers I have done work for.

Banned
    Brian Smith with his 1966 Mini-cooper in 1970 image, Car was discovered recently in garage

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My first ever car was a little Mini 850, it was a rust bucket but I loved it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My first was a Morris Minor 1000, but my second was a Mini. (Third was a Fiat 125.)
    Regards,

Duncan

I've had 3 BMs and agree - they're great.
    Do you think that's something you should be talking about on a public forum.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Year one of owning a 2012 Honda Civic 4-door sedan. Nice car, awesome sound system, very efficient on the gas and splendid roadholding... but uncomfortable.

Just can't get accustomed to the low roof and stupidly designed head rest, armrest is absolutely pointless and stupid hands free phone controls block my left hand from resting below the steering. My previous car, a 2008 Honda Fit, was by far the best vehicle I ever owned. At the end of this 4-year rental, I'm switching back to a Fit.

The only way I'm comfortable driving is with the seat at a near 90 degree angle, and with plenty of headroom. The Civic is literally designed to drive with the seat reclined at 130 degrees and the headrest is designed to accomodate a backwards baseball cap... Reminds you of anything? LOL. I went to Bethlehem this year with this car, and at the end of a 10-hr drive, my neck was aching SOOO bad!

My old man bangs his head on the door frame every time he steps in or out of the car, my mom literally has to roll out of the back to get out of the car. When I hit a road bump, I bang my head on the roof, even if the seat is at it's lowest position. Ergonomic design my ass! The Fit was so much more comfortable, it had more leg room and head room, plus the 8 or 9" shorter meant I was able to literally "fit" in any parking spot.

The Honda Civic is an excellent car... it's just not for me.

Robert