Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nu Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm still not sure that I know what Nu Jazz is, but I got into Molvaer around the time of his ECM albums, and then I moved on and picked up everything I could find by Eivind Aarset, although now he's got another album out on ECM that I don't have yet.
    Very different for Eivind, but a wonderful release. FYI, review here.

And it ain't Nu Jazz either

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I actually hate jazz itself. It's like a spice I can't stand. But mixed with other "new" ingridients it enhances the flavour and I totally dig it.
    Se, that's an odd statement, as jazz has always been about cross-pollination, and while you may not like the mainstream, traditional straight-ahead stuff, there's been, I'd wager, all kinds of jazz, based on what you've written, that you'd like, dating as far back as the '60s.

Sorry, I always view "I hate jazz" as a challenge. Used to work in a record store back in the mid-'70s, where when folks said that, I'd ask them what they do like, and then point them in the direction of some jazz artists that, based on their tastes, they would like it. Without meaning to sound too self-congratulatory, I was rarely wrong

Thanks for this thread.

I was not aware of this musical genre but it gives me much to explore.

UPDATE AFTER LISTENING TO A FEW TRACKS

I like this but wouldn't this be considered Third Stream?
    Last edited by Splicer; 05-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.