Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tears For Fears!

Tears For Fears!

Probably the best band that came out of the 80's, & that includes U2. The reason for this thread is to enquire if anybody knows what are the current activities of this band. Sure I heard they are appearing on BBC 's Live Music Lounge programme on the 25th of May . Can anyone confirm this?

Paging Gruno ... if there is anyone who knows what they are up to it is him as he is or at least used to be their tour manager IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Paging Gruno ... if there is anyone who knows what they are up to it is him as he is or at least used to be their tour manager IIRC.
    Thanx, theyve neglected the UK for a number of years whilst still gigging Europe & the States ! If they toured i'd be there in a heartbeat !

Not tour manager. Been friends for a long while. I've done a ton of stuff with them in the past 10 years.

Not much I can say openly, but they recently celebrated 30 years of The Hurting by (finally) creating a website:

http://www.tearsforfears.com

The site gets updated each Tuesday & Thursday.

Recently, Curt Smith and Charlton Pettus traveled to Bath to begin writing with Roland Orzabal for an upcoming release. Curt claims they have a good 3 tunes worked out with more writing to do when Roland visits California in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Thanx, theyve neglected the UK for a number of years whilst still gigging Europe & the States ! If they toured i'd be there in a heartbeat !
    Last time we toured there was in 2005. Some great shows there!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ROFLMAO.....that's the best joke I've heard all year!

Here's another one, Tiny Tim was the best singer of the 70s.
    I've seen ya 8O's fave band list so better not go there ! Why dont you re-post it here so we can all have a laugh . Bet you still got you Simon Le Bon poster on your wall !

Like many bands of that time, for me they are really a 'singles band'...but what singles! 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love' is just an amazing piece of work, full of colour and detail.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No, I never had posters of personal friends on my walls.

I doubt many will laugh at the mention of The Stranglers, Kate Bush, Cardiacs, Depeche Mode, Ian Dury, Kraftwerk, Human League, PIL, New Order, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Cure, The Damned, The Fall, The Cult, Madness, The Specials and so on.
    For me, PIL, Kate, Kraftwerk, Elvis, and The Smith were all far superior to Tears for Fears, but that's just me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Like many bands of that time, for me they are really a 'singles band'...but what singles! 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love' is just an amazing piece of work, full of colour and detail.
    Sowing the Seeds of Love was indeed a worthy piece of music. It was like a faithful tribute to the late Beatles sound and romantic, wolrd-hugging philosophy, which was very refreshing in the increasingly commercialized late 80s. And the video was very cool for, you know, 25 years ago

But, other than the Seeds and Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World, their music was more of ordinary 80s pop and - as it turns out - of rather ephemeral value. Talking about the things transient .. Sting is also out of sight, and U2 have withered away.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    They were very much an album band & thats what set them apart from most 80's tripe . Songs from the Big Chair dosnt have a dud track on it !
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-14-2013 at 01:49 AM.

No, I never had posters of personal friends on my walls.

I doubt many will laugh at the mention of The Stranglers, Kate Bush, Cardiacs, Depeche Mode, Ian Dury, Kraftwerk, Human League, PIL, New Order, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Cure, The Damned, The Fall, The Cult, Madness, The Specials and so on.
    Some dodgy 80's bands there , very dodgy!

Probably the best band that came out of the 80's,
    One of - most definitely imho.

We clearly have different interpretations of the word dodgy.
    The Damned, Specials, Madness, Cardiacs & Dury would fit most dodgy criteria 80's bands IMO

In your discussion of the best 80s bands, you are all forgetting a little band called Milli Vanilli.

Probably the best band that came out of the 80's

dunno about that but they were highly individual and very special indeed. roland orzabal’s 90’s stuff under the TFF-monicker was good as well.

“god’s mistake“ (with gail-ann dorsey in the band on bass)

Seems perfectly plausible to hold the opinion that TFF were "one of the best bands to come out of the 80s". And reading the replies, it also seems like a lot of people aren't that familiar with their music.

Their albums are very well constructed, they wrote amazingly great pop singles, and stylistically were very sophisticated. Songs From The Big Chair is a masterpiece, not a bum note on it, wonderful production and very much of its time. Most importantly, it sounds like no one else but TFF. Their b-sides showed a very experimental side to the band, and to top it off, their last album Everyone Loves a Happy Ending features some of their finest songwriting. Fantastic live band, very happy I got a chance to see them back in the day.

Great band, and not everything needs to be prog.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Oh dear.....

I'm guessing your other fav 80s bands include Sniff in the Tears, Simply Red and Level 42!
    Level 42 blow away all the bands you mentioned on a musical level & if you know a better bassist than Mark King that emerged in the 80's i would very much like to hear him !

This is a stupid pissing match. If it started with this is an amazing band, excellent, etc., it would have been a lot more productive. You couldn't miss knowing a lot of Tears for Fears if you lived through the 80s. I own Songs From the Big Chair on MFSL and it sounds very decent but not groundbreaking to my ears.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Level 42 blow away all the bands you mentioned on a musical level & if you know a better bassist than Mark King that emerged in the 80's i would very much like to hear him !
    Not to mention alumni -
    Alan Holdsworth, Gary Husband and Jakko Jakszyk

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This is a stupid pissing match.
    Amazing, isn't it?

Oh dear.....

I'm guessing your other fav 80s bands include Sniff in the Tears, Simply Red and Level 42!
    Why be snobbish with this?

"The bands I liked from the 80s were the best!"

"NO! The ones I liked from the 80s were better!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Not tour manager. Been friends for a long while. I've done a ton of stuff with them in the past 10 years.

Not much I can say openly, but they recently celebrated 30 years of The Hurting by (finally) creating a website:

http://www.tearsforfears.com

The site gets updated each Tuesday & Thursday.

Recently, Curt Smith and Charlton Pettus traveled to Bath to begin writing with Roland Orzabal for an upcoming release. Curt claims they have a good 3 tunes worked out with more writing to do when Roland visits California in June.

Last time we toured there was in 2005. Some great shows there!
    Truly awesome news that there is new music activity happening with Roland, Curt and Charlton! Hopefully a new album in the near future? These guys are too brilliant to rely solely on touring their previous (and also brilliant) back catalog.

ROFLMAO.....that's the best joke I've heard all year!

Here's another one, Tiny Tim was the best singer of the 70s.
    I said they were PROBABLY the best 80's band so am obviously stating my oppinion. If PeterG rates dodgy bands like The Damned & Madness above TFF then that's fine but his above wind up post was not neccassary!

PeterG started it ! This type reply is common from him . He likes winding people up . MODERATOR !!!!!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-15-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This is a stupid pissing match. If it started with this is an amazing band, excellent, etc., it would have been a lot more productive. You couldn't miss knowing a lot of Tears for Fears if you lived through the 80s. I own Songs From the Big Chair on MFSL and it sounds very decent but not groundbreaking to my ears.
    Then what do you consider groundbreaking from the 80's !

Then what do you consider groundbreaking from the 80's !
    Tears For Fears.

If PeterG rates dodgy bands like The Damned & Madness above TFF

MADNESS ... now we have a bonafide p*ss*ng match, folks – duck and cover! this is the heavy-heavy monster sound!!!!!

In all seriousness Rufus, I don't care whether or not Tears for Fears are the best band of the 80s. I like their music quite a bit but I prefer different 80s bands that I already listed. It's like saying Yes was the best band in the 70s, what about Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, PFM and on and on? It's an endless, circular debate. I'll also take back my earlier statement that other 80s bands were superior, I just like then a lot more. The level of musicainship in all of the aforemention bands was spectacular. It's all good.