Thread: Zappa - 87, 95 and 12 releases

Zappa - 87, 95 and 12 releases

So now that the 2012 releases are out. Whats the verdict...I need Joes Garage....Any thoughts which is the best sounding

Our mastering engineer is a massive Zappa fan and during the last session with him he did an A/B comparison of the 95 and 2012 Joe's Garage albums...and the difference was fairly staggering to us. I thought the 95 version always sounded great, but the new one blows it out of the water! So if you're going to pick I'd suggest the recent one

Matt.

Can anything top the original vinyl? It's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Can anything top the original vinyl? It's amazing.
    Of Joe's Garage? I thought Zappa himself was unhappy with the sound on that one because it was half-speed mastered and the low end came out wimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Of Joe's Garage? I thought Zappa himself was unhappy with the sound on that one because it was half-speed mastered and the low end came out wimpy.
    PErhaps, but, I think it's fantastic. Frank's been known to fuck up some of his own work through remastering. "Zoot Allures" was one example where the vinyl blows away the original CD.

The 2012 remaster of Joe's Garage 1/2/3 sounds incredible! Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    PErhaps, but, I think it's fantastic. Frank's been known to fuck up some of his own work through remastering. "Zoot Allures" was one example where the vinyl blows away the original CD.
    On the system I had w/ a turntable Zoot Allures was a fine narcotic experience... 20 years later after finally getting and listening to the CD, the same buzz was not available. Wasn't sure if what's left of the brain was playing some kind of nasty trick...probably won't go back to vinyl, but would jump on a better digital version of Z.A. if ZFT sees fit to poot one forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    On the system I had w/ a turntable Zoot Allures was a fine narcotic experience... 20 years later after finally getting and listening to the CD, the same buzz was not available. Wasn't sure if what's left of the brain was playing some kind of nasty trick...probably won't go back to vinyl, but would jump on a better digital version of Z.A. if ZFT sees fit to poot one forth.
    Yeah, I recall seeing some big-time criticism of Frank's remix and that the vinyl was the one to find. It took me a few years, but I found a pristine copy and made my own CD. If you're nice to me and drop me a PM, I might send you a copy.

2012 Zoot Allures CD was prepared from the original analog vinyl master, so the ZFT have pooted it forth, Bake1.