Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Marillion: Sounds That Can't Be Made (the discussion continues)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh, man, I flat-out love "Fantastic Place." Marillion are just the kings of the gradual crescendo. Great live tune, too.
    Yep, that's the response I usually get. I agree about them being kings of the gradual crescendo though, and I've seen that tune live at least twice that I can recall. But the payoff moment towards the end doesn't save the first part of the track for me. Just one of those things, you can't love everything. I do love almost everything they've done though!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Oh, man, I flat-out love "Fantastic Place." Marillion are just the kings of the gradual crescendo. Great live tune, too.
    What Mariilion album is Fantastic Place from?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What Mariilion album is Fantastic Place from?
    Marbles.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

JIF - You NEED to get Marbles - the two-disc edition.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    JIF - You NEED to get Marbles - the two-disc edition.
    Thanks. I remember seeing that at Tower Records when it first came out, but didn't get it because 1.wasn't really a Marillion fan 2.wasn't into older people making music. I'm really kicking myself now, because Sounds That Can't Be made is excellent, discovering new things with each listen.

That part is great, but the last bridge/verse just before it is even better--"I can see the island behind your tired troubled eyes." Gets me every time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Fantastic Place isn't a favorite of mine either. I didn't like it at all when Marbles first came out. It grew on me some after a while, but now it's been done live way too many times.

The only Marillion songs I flat out don't like are Dry Land, Map of the World, Built-In Bastard Radar, and Tumble Down the Years.

Banned
    Getting back to the topic of discussion, I was on Amazon(as I like to read reviews of albums that I have recently bought) and noticed a review which called Steve Rothery a lazy guitarist. I totally disagree. Steve R(like Steve Hackett) adds color, not flash.
    Last edited by JIF; 03-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.

If Rothery is lazy, all guitarists should be so lazy!

If Rothery is lazy, then so is Gilmour!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think the reviewer is more lazy than Mr. Rothery, whom I consider to be one of the most brilliant guitarists of his generation.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Is Sky Above The Rain similar to the light above the darkness, or the light at the end of the tunnel? Also, love the accordion sounds on Montreal where H is singing about Lenard Cohen on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Also, love the accordion sounds on Montreal where H is singing about Lenard Cohen on tv.
    Good call. There are some nice subtle touches on this album.

Not least the one I'm enjoying most at the moment: The use of the poetry of W.B. Yeats in "Gaza"-- Yeats who was very attentive to and wrote about the early 'Troubles' between Ireland and the U.K. Comparison invoked by Hogarth.

I really like Sounds which is a return to great form after the lackluster Happiness Is The Road (my least played Marillion album). The only song that I sorta find ok is Lucky Man which going towards the skippable section. The rest however is ace.

Performance of Gaza last night at the European Marillion Weekend was a stunner in all ways possible. The whole production was raised up quite a notch for this weekend. Great staging, great sound, stunning use of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    There are some nice subtle touches on this album.
    Definitely. Also the xylophone (or whatever chime-y thing it is) during "Invisible Ink"--a big part of what makes it sound so innocent and charming.

^ I think that's Glockenspiel.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I think that's Glockenspiel.
    That sounds right. I was pretty sure it wasn't actually a xylophone. Maybe it was an idea that came from the unplugged phase or something.