Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Bad Ass 21st Century Tune That Encapsulates Everything Great About Music

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Probably just me, but I just listened to "Food For the Moon" (thanks No Pride) and terms like "bad ass" or "encapsulates everything that is great about music" were not coming to mind.

Nice music for an art gallery maybe, yes.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Probably just me, but I just listened to "Food For the Moon" (thanks No Pride) and terms like "bad ass" or "encapsulates everything that is great about music" were not coming to mind.

Nice music for an art gallery maybe, yes.
    There's reason to be suspicious of any hyperbolic thread title like that; one person's "bad ass, encapsulates everything that's great about music" is always going to be another one's "meh." To be fair, "Food For the Moon" is from a much earlier Ben Monder album and I think he and his albums have evolved significantly since, though his trademark style is in evidence from that early in his career. The problem is that there's not a whole lot of Monder submissions on YT to choose from.

I've never heard music being played at an art gallery and have no idea what would be suitable, but Monder's music might be a decent fit for a cubist exhibit or something like that.
    Last edited by No Pride; 05-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.

"Fuck You" - Cee Lo

It may not necessarily encapsulate everything great about music, but no song I've heard in the last 14 years has. It *does* encapsulate a lot about the 21st Century, though, and it's incredibly catchy. And "badass" goes without saying!

This is the value of threads like this. I had never heard of Ben Monder but that "food for the moon" cut scratched an itch I didn't even know I had.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by LongFrog View Post
    A little off-topic: if this is your turntable, what kind is it? It seems to say Audiotechnica; would it be LP240?
    Not mine.I have Nad.
    If that is Audiotechnica,it's pretty cool

Lou Reed - Blue Mask

For me personally echolyn's The Cardinal And I hits just about everything in my bones i like about music.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Monder sounds like he's been studying Rypdal

Perhaps the thread title coulda been Ben Monder instead of what it is which naturally would elicit votes from everyone of their idea of the thread title... just sayin
    I got hooked by Monder's first album, Flux. It's loaded with great compositions and playing from beginning to end. His music is very dark and introspective. I like to listen to it in the car at night. And At Night is also the name of a beautiful album he made with Theo Bleckmann.

I bought several CDs direct from Ben for 10 dollars each. http://www.benmonder.com/
    Last edited by Reid; 05-16-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Just ordered my first Ben Monder from his site, called Excavation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Sergio's definitely got the most badass hairstyle ever!

i'll second another poster's suggestion of Headlong Flight

I'm going with what has been the game soundtrack of the century so far.

Folks, when I ordered Excavation from Ben Monder's site I got a thank you email from Ben. I responded with the link to this thread. I'm sure he appreciated your rave reviews.