Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State of Prog Alert: Carl Palmer Band

I watched several YouTube videos over the last couple of years of Carl - but when I finally went a week ago in Penn's Peak, PA, I was stunned at his endurance, precision and FIRE. Also, it doesn't hurt that I have always loved instrumental music; for me to hear Tarkus re-interpreted completely as an instrumental was nothing short of glorious. Same with Pictures, Knife Edge, etc. The ONLY thing that could have made the concert impress me MORE would have been if they'd tackled The Endless Enigma - complete with that Fugue in the center.

[QUOTE=carollover;98050]I am a huge ELP fan but have zero interest in seeing Keith's keyboard parts played by a guitarist, as is the case with Carl's group.

I thought the same thing before seeing them. I saw ELP at High Voltage festival and not too long afterwards went to see the CP group with a little trepidation. I have to say I was mightily impressed with how the keyboard parts were handled by guitar/bass. For the bass solo he played Stairway to Heaven. As it started I thought "this is going to be a bit naff", but I have to say it was an amazing interpretation of it on the bass. I've been looking for it on Youtube since. All in all it more that surpassed my expectations and I would not miss them again if they came back to Glasgow.

^ That's interesting. He seems to mix up his bass solos. On the previous tour I saw him do Bohemian Rhapsody, and on this one Roundabout!

neil

The NY show tonight was completely SOLD OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Howard Theater 45 miles 64 minutes, can afford a $15 burger but won't and musicians aren't accessible.
    Well, Carl Palmer did an autograph session after the show at the Howard.

So glad the Ram's Head is more convenient for two of you--and presumably others. It isn't for other people. This is a non-issue, and that's why I responded to Brian's specific comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Great to hear NYC has good taste ! Its always been big ELP territory. The USA is a big country & some bands are more popular in some states than others . Goes for any band !

I've never seen Carl's band in the flesh, but wasn't overly impressed with either installment of the Working Live albums. Superb technical chops certainly, but re the ELP material, much is lost in the transfer of Keith's parts to guitar. (I even had these misgivings about Gary Moore's interpretation of Karn Evil 9 when he toured with Greg in the 80's.) The playing was jaw droppingly brilliant of course, but the entire 'dystopian circus big top' feel of the original was completely lost. I guess Carl's in a no win situation here i.e. if he neglects to play the ELP hits and concentrates on original material, his audience would surely dwindle to the point where his creativity is no longer viable?

If it wasnt mentioned before, Carl Palmer was on a Tuesday or Weds(?), Steve Wilson was on a Saturday...that bodes well for Steve. Saw SW at the Howard, saw CP for 2 shows on CTTE and before that at Montgomery College. Both SW and CP put on awesome shows...sad to hear about the attendance at the Howard...but doesnt surprise me either, especially after playing Ramshead Annapolis the day before which isnt that far away. The Howard has little to no seating as well. Not extremely accomodating for old proggers. I personally would have picked the Ramshead show, just to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    The Howard has little to no seating as well. Not extremely accomodating for old proggers. I personally would have picked the Ramshead show, just to sit.
    Incorrect. The Howard offers tables and chairs on the main floor if the artist wants it and/or (I assume) they don't sell that many tickets. SW was the first show I've been to at the Howard where they cleared out the tables and chairs on the main floor. The tables and chairs were back for CP. And the seating upstairs, when they sell enough tickets, is actually quite comfortable and nicely laid out (singles as well as tables/booths that feel like private box seats).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What was the venue?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What was the venue?
    Boulton Center, Bay Shore NY.

"The 261 seat stadium style theater offers the audience and perform...."
    http://boultoncenter.org/AboutUs.aspx
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I agree with Man In The Mountain depends on the area, I am sure if some of these groups came to the UK (prog is still strong) I am sure the reception would be different.

I wonder how many people would come out if Steve Wilson had a bunch of Joe Blows in the band rather than four of the better jazz/fusion musicians out there. I saw Wilson on the previous tour just to see the band play, I didn't give a rats ass about his silly songs. I would have seen him this year but the person I usually go with has been incredibly ill for most of this year. Who cares about James Taylor when he has the best jazz/fusion musicians in his band. Who cares if Joni Mitchel sings about a stupid fucking parking lot when she has Jaco and Pat Metheny playing in her band. I wouldn't care what Gino Vannelli was singing about with UZEB backing him up. Maybe it isn't the so called "Prog Rock" crowd coming out but the jazz/fusion crowd coming out just to see the musicians and trying to tune out Wilson and that dress wearing bass player.
    Last edited by Shadow; 05-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^ Whoa - talk about threads that are snippy and disrespectful.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

I wouldn't see any of those other artists, regardless of who is in their band. I've got to like the music too, which is why I passed on the Aristocrats, as did a very skilled drummer friend of mine. Or, to put it another way, I think your assertion is hogwash. It's just that you don't like Steven Wilson, or Nick Beggs, for that matter.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I wouldn't see any of those other artists, regardless of who is in their band. I've got to like the music too, which is why I passed on the Aristocrats, as did a very skilled drummer friend of mine. Or, to put it another way, I think your assertion is hogwash. It's just that you don't like Steven Wilson, or Nick Beggs, for that matter.

neil
    Wise words. I mean think about it, Michelangelo never painted anyone's garage door and he certainly didn't work in Bunnings. (Even if Kim Kardashian gets my favorite author (Martin Amis) to ghost write her autobiography, I ain't buying it.

On one hand it sucks for the band - but for me... when the people dont come out in big numbers I'm a happy man. The Grandmothers show in Austin last year was pretty thin and hanging out with those guys was so damn cool. Don Preston told some great stories and Tom Fowler was a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    On one hand it sucks for the band - but for me... when the people dont come out in big numbers I'm a happy man.
    We shall see how happy you are in the future. If people aren't buying tickets, what promoter or venue wants a returning act where the turnout was poor?

People show up in numbers for plenty of other gigs, so it is what it is... As much as someone may love ELP and their music, it's in the past, and the numbers reflect that.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    People show up in numbers for plenty of other gigs, so it is what it is... As much as someone may love ELP and their music, it's in the past, and the numbers reflect that.

Not many drummers, if any at all could tour playing their respective bands music & still attract an audience like CP.

I saw Bruford on his last Earthworks tour a few years ago in the UK playing in a very small Arts Centre that was only half ful, 150 people at most !

A guitarist , keyboard player or singer are always going to be more appealing to an audience doing nostalgia tours !
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-15-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    We shall see how happy you are in the future. If people aren't buying tickets, what promoter or venue wants a returning act where the turnout was poor?
    Well - I figured that was implied - it sucks for the band (possibly no future gigs right?)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What was the venue?
    Oh, ok - I thought there was an NYC show I didn't know about.

Saw Carl at Sellersville a few weeks ago and I didn't really look much, but it seemed like the theater was nearly full if not sold out. And by the way Carl was great, lots of energy and surprisingly witty.

Rick