Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fripp on UK TV 09/05/2013

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    church gigs with Theo Travis
    Even those seem to be a thing of the past. http://www.dgmlive.com/tour.htm?artist=29

^ But he is doing something with Jakko, at least according to Jakko's sporadic Facebook posts.

Edit: Oh, and not live things. My bad.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

So - did they win?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ But he is doing something with Jakko, at least according to Jakko's sporadic Facebook posts.
    Isn't he engineering the Thrak remaster? I haven't heard that they were recording anything that I can recall.

Jakko posted that he was in the studio doing vocals with Fripp a few months ago.

Funny how the memory works, though. I swear I read a post from JJ about how lucky he was that he could record music with his childhood heroes like Fripp and Hackett, but scrolling through his FB, this is all I found:

"Life's a funny thing isn't it?
    In the studio with Robert Fripp today, when a message comes in from Steve Hackett to inform me that this" (He posted the link to the Hackett video.)

So perhaps I imagined the vocal thing? Who knows. Certainly "in the studio" could be just working on Thrak.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I watched about 2 minutes of that and had to turn it off, it was making me feel ill.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks for finding and posting that video Obscured. Rare footage of Fripp looking happy especially around 9:30 mark. Amazing insight to the couple. Met and proposed within a week!
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

I watched it and thought it was great.

Just watched. Very sweet to see how much they love each other. A beautiful thing.

Interesting that she is introduced as Toyah Willcox, but the name Fripp is never mentioned--he's just "Robert." If I didn't know who he was, I would have assumed his name was Robert Willcox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Interesting that she is introduced as Toyah Willcox, but the name Fripp is never mentioned--he's just "Robert." If I didn't know who he was, I would have assumed his name was Robert Willcox.
    Being married to Ms. Willcox must have worked wonders for Robert's profile. He has now achieved single name recognition status, ala Madonna, Seal, Beyonce, Cher, etc.!

Interestingly, i just finished watching the David Bowie 5 Years documentary, and whenever this "Robert Willcox" fellow is discussed, whether by Bowie, Brian Eno or Tony Visconti, etc., he is just referred to as "Fripp".
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree you see how much they appear to love one another but on the other hand it's sort of pathetic.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Old man of prog
    I think I just threw up a little in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Sounds like a perfect marriage

indeed!

While the clip made me smile and I genuinely like it, it almost seems like one of those cases where the husband goes along with a wife's idea just to keep her happy. "All right, darling, I'll go on the show, but only if they don't mention my last name."
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I had the pleasure of supporting Robert and Toyah with the Humans a couple of years back. They were lovely (as per the vid) always laughing and smiling with each other....maybe we could all learn a thing or two :-)
    best
    jy
    www.lifesigns.me

That was an epiphany!

I now realize that many of the prog geeks I have met feel that their demeanor and idiosyncratic behavior is a tribute to Fripp.

It IS quite evident that they are still very much in love, and that she usually wears the pants.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Kristi
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I think I just threw up a little in my mouth
    Hey! I was going to say that! No fair!

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    I had the pleasure of supporting Robert and Toyah with the Humans a couple of years back. They were lovely (as per the vid) always laughing and smiling with each other....maybe we could all learn a thing or two :-)
    best
    jy
    www.lifesigns.me
    that would require humility... we are interacting with mostly Progsnobs here so don't hold yer breath
    but I must say that as a happily married man, I was absolutely shocked to see a warm, human Fripp.
    All these decades I've thought of Fripp as this Hitleresque band leader. How wrong I was... and I'm so happy to be wrong! May they have 40 more happy years to enjoy eachother...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I wondering if the loving couple will next appear on Dancing with the Stars?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)