Thread: VDGG: "Time Vaults"

VDGG: "Time Vaults"

I know it isn't studio quality, but worth seeking out?

If you are the type of listener who can accept boot quality sound, it has a few tracks of minor interest (especially "The Liquidator") but it's largely a 'die-hard fans only' kind of release. Most of the material is 'in progress' and rather tame. It's really nothing you're going to pull off the shelf very often - if ever again, in fact, after the initial couple of spins. When I'm in a VDGG/Hammill mood, there's a wealth of choices, and this one is never among them. If you absolutely have to have everything, go ahead but don't spend much.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Worth it for "The Liquidator" alone.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hmm..too many yellow lights there. lol!

Ok- what about Hammill's solo work? Which of his is closest to the VDGG sound? I already have Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Ok- what about Hammill's solo work? Which of his is closest to the VDGG sound? I already have Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night.
    Oh, NOW you're talking.

Without a doubt, get Silent Corner And The Empty Stage and In Camera. Both are essential IMO, and every bit as good as the classic VDGG albums. You'll find that typically about half the fans agree with that assessment. I'm also a huge fan of Over, but that one will have somewhat fewer fans than the two heavyweight classics I mentioned. Very highly recommended.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Without a doubt, get Silent Corner And The Empty Stage and In Camera.Very highly recommended.
    Seconded. I also agree with the choice of Over.

I'd also add Nadir's Big Chance to the list. Punchier, shorter songs, but I love it. As with Over, you'll probably get mixed responses to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

I'd also add Nadir's Big Chance to the list. Punchier, shorter songs, but I love it. As with Over, you'll probably get mixed responses to this one.
    Nadir's Big Chance is a great album too! The only reason I didn't recommend it is because he specifically asked what was closest to the VDGG sound - and with Silent Corner and In Camera in the mix, it's pretty hard to choose anything else.

Over is a gorgeous album - Hammill's most emotional, perhaps, and that's really saying something! I love every second of it from beginning to end. Also noteworthy to VDGG fans is the inclusion of the 'lost verse' of "La Rossa" in the song "Lost And Found".

And, just for fun, here is a track that is NOT the classic VDGG sound

Over is a gorgeous album - Hammill's most emotional, perhaps, and that's really saying something! I love every second of it from beginning to end. Also noteworthy to VDGG fans is the inclusion of the 'lost verse' of "La Rossa" in the song "Lost And Found".
    I doubt it's a lost verse to the original song-- That one was about the beginning of the relationship, this one's the end of it, so he's referencing the original to wrap it up. Sounds that she's marrying somebody else, so he's referencing the beginning of their affair and this new beginning she's making without him. Least that's how I always took it.

And I'd submit that Nadir's is the closest to the VDGG sound because it IS VDGG, though playing in a different style than usual. It shows they could be a damn good rock & roll band (though not really punk, get Vital for that).

[/I]
    Amazon has a used copy or two for six bucks. Not exactly a hard find and not a hard price. I'd dip your toe, but, with that said, I'd get on to picking up some PH solo stuff first.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I doubt it's a lost verse to the original song-- That one was about the beginning of the relationship, this one's the end of it, so he's referencing the original to wrap it up. Sounds that she's marrying somebody else, so he's referencing the beginning of their affair and this new beginning she's making without him. Least that's how I always took it.

And I'd submit that Nadir's is the closest to the VDGG sound because it IS VDGG, though playing in a different style than usual. It shows they could be a damn good rock & roll band (though not really punk, get Vital for that).
    Well, that's why I used quotes when I said 'lost verse' - I'm not suggesting it was actually intended for "La Rossa" and reshelved. Lyrically though, it seems to be telling another chapter of the story. The two people did end up having an affair (or at least, a one-nighter) and as he leaves her place the next morning, he's too wrapped up in what happened to bother questioning if it was worth destroying their friendship for. That's how I've always thought of it. It's a very lustful tale when you think about it, and I think many can relate to it at one time in their lives or another.

Nadir's Big Chance is indeed the VDGG band but PH albums often did feature them anyway (or at least, several of them at a time), and I maintain the correct answer to Rickenbacker's question is Silent Corner and In Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Amazon has a used copy or two for six bucks. Not exactly a hard find and not a hard price. I'd dip your toe, but, with that said, I'd get on to picking up some PH solo stuff first.
    Fully agreed with that!

what about Hammill's solo work? Which of his is closest to the VDGG sound? [/I]
    The Silent Corner....

The go with In Camera and The Black Box
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The Silent Corner....

Roger - listen to Mo.

Time Vaults is essential for "Roncevaux" and not even shitty sound or the vocals being added years after the fact can change that.

You also need Silent Corner... and In Camera; as mentioned

If you are the type of listener who can accept boot quality sound, it has a few tracks of minor interest (especially "The Liquidator") but it's largely a 'die-hard fans only' kind of release. Most of the material is 'in progress' and rather tame. It's really nothing you're going to pull off the shelf very often - if ever again, in fact, after the initial couple of spins. When I'm in a VDGG/Hammill mood, there's a wealth of choices, and this one is never among them. If you absolutely have to have everything, go ahead but don't spend much.
    This....

Oh, NOW you're talking.

Without a doubt, get Silent Corner And The Empty Stage and In Camera. Both are essential IMO, and every bit as good as the classic VDGG albums. You'll find that typically about half the fans agree with that assessment. I'm also a huge fan of Over, but that one will have somewhat fewer fans than the two heavyweight classics I mentioned. Very highly recommended.
    And this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

Over is rather uneven , but aside a few clunkers it's got some amazing moments , especially Time Heals

Nadir also have moments... mainly the middle of the album (second part of the vinyl's side 1 and the start of side 2)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The Silent Corner....

They're all good until Black Box.... after that, I must say that i'm not very familiar with his 80's stuff....
    And if I know most of the early 90's stuff (from Water/Usher/Fireship/Forties, etc.... onwards ) I'm not really a fan of any of it (though I gather most here will kill me for Usher, but Out Of Water is the better one, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For a strong group sound you can't beat Enter K and Patience - a more rock group sound than classic VDGG but it's great imaginative rock and has some great lyrics. This band had Guy Evans and Nic Potter in and is superior (in my opinion) to the lumpen rhythmns of say Roaring Forties or X My Heart. If you can imagine the band that made Quiet Zone had continued but with the violin being replaced by a guitar, then I think you're somewhere near the sound of these.

Well, that's why I used quotes when I said 'lost verse' - I'm not suggesting it was actually intended for "La Rossa" and reshelved. Lyrically though, it seems to be telling another chapter of the story. The two people did end up having an affair (or at least, a one-nighter) and as he leaves her place the next morning, he's too wrapped up in what happened to bother questioning if it was worth destroying their friendship for. That's how I've always thought of it. It's a very lustful tale when you think about it, and I think many can relate to it at one time in their lives or another.
    I think the story was true in PH's case: He did have a relationship with the woman (Alice) in La Rossa, and the songs on Over (and some of the ones on World Record) are about the end of it. Quiet Zone is the coming-back-to-life album.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    For a strong group sound you can't beat Enter K and Patience - a more rock group sound than classic VDGG
    Yeah, I do love the K Group period. A short-lived but successful experiment. Both those albums are great!