Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest similar keyboard players

Suggest similar keyboard players

Wanted to ask people here for suggestions regarding certain keyboard players.
    Hopefuly my English is good enough to say clearly what I'm looking for.

First of all, I'm interested in anything similar to Magellan or other Trent Gardner projects. The main interest are the keyboards. There are bands that are maybe similar in overall style/songwriting but often the keys are not what I'm looking for.

Also I like Jordan Rudess, but only his solo albums and LTE. His Dream Theater style of playing is not very similar to what I'm looking for.

I can also mention Derek Sherinian and his band Planet X. I like those a lot. Also Alex Argento had a great solo album with this style of keyboard playing. And of course, there is Relocator (with Sherinian on keys).

Also there are some interesting keyboard arrangements in this style on the first Circus Maximus album "The 1st Chapter" and on the first two Spheric Universe Experience albums.

Most of the stuff that I've mentioned have influences from Keith Emerson, but if so, I'm looking for a modern approach/sound. Maybe from the last 15 years or so (since the mid 1990's).
    Btw, recently I heard the latest from Motoi Sakuraba - that was similar to what I'm searching.
    And one last mention must go to bands Ephemeral Sun and Osada Vida - those keyboards are great.
    The genre is not important - it can be anything (metal, symphonic, crossover, eclectic, neo-prog, fusion etc). And it does not matter if it has vocals or it is instrumental.
    If you feel that you can recommend something, feel free to post. Would be happy with any suggestions.

Do you have the Rudess-Morgenstein Project? If not, that's right up your alley.

You may like Haken, although not specifically for keyboards, but for vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkwGlPgPERw

Yes, dregsfan, I know of that. As soon as I understood that Rudess solo efforts are for me, I ckecked most of the things that he's done. Ironicaly, Dream Theater is not exactly what I want, although there are some bits which are great but they never expand them to bigger passages that I would prefer. Their last album was more symphonic, but still not there.
    The suggestion that you made is great though, on that album the keyboards ar just as I like.
    If you remember something else, I will be happy to check it out.

killmymusic, I already know of Haken. Great, great band.
    Two things that I must say - the vocals are not exactly what I'm concentrating on, it's the keys. And the other thing - they do not have keys which have my mentioned style of playing. The closest track to this from their last album is Portals - that one has great keyboard passages and those are approximately similar to my taste.
    But thanks for the suggestion anyway. It's difficult to define what I'm looking for precisely, so that's why I listed several bands/artists.
    Btw, there is a band called To-Mera and I believe some members of Haken are there. The keys in that band on some of the albums were close to my preferences. Not exactly, but close.

Yeah, I knew you're looking for 'keys', but I wanted to recommend them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by killmymusic View Post
    Yeah, I knew you're looking for 'keys', but I wanted to recommend them anyway
    I have seen somewhere Haken compared to Magellan, although it was said that there are no direct comparisons. Aquarius is such a great album, Visions was OK, not as good, but some of the songs on that one were godd as well. They are working on their third album, should be out this year.

How about Japanese Ars Nova?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjrjbsMYXOE

I've only recently found out about Haken and I was sold from the first note!

How about Japanese Ars Nova?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjrjbsMYXOE

I've only recently found out about Haken and I was sold from the first note!

Ars Nova is pretty close. A lot of people like them. I can't say that I like them a lot, but the keyboard style is more or less spot on. There are quiet a few Japanese bands that are pretty good.

Regarding Haken - they took the prog scene by storm. Every once in a while there is a new band that surprises everybody and it gets a lot of praise. This was the case. It was deserved, the album was awesome. I'm surprised that not so many prog metal bands tried to do something different following that album by Haken. Headspace with Damian Wilson on vocals was interesting but nothing else comes to mind.

I'm going to see them this weekend in London!

Ok, one last suggestion for today (although maybe overall not enough keys, but still....):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSi4Ayr7ke0

I'm going to see them this weekend in London!

Ok, one last suggestion for today (although maybe not enough keys, but still....):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSi4Ayr7ke0

I know this band. Have not listened to them for a while, so can't remember the keys parts. But the album itself was good, especialy the vocals.

And of course... Frost, but surely you must know them? Lots of keys and the kind you like (I think).

And of course... Frost, but surely you must know them? Lots of keys and the kind you like (I think).
    Frost is great, special mention must go to their first album. The keys are different, not what I'm looking for, but I like them anyway. I like all kinds of stuff if it's good and their first album is absolutely great.

Oh, I was convinced those were the keys you wanted to hear: bombastic and symphonic

Oh, I was convinced those were the keys you wanted to hear: bombastic and symphonic
    Those are some of the things that I like and I like Frost a lot. It's a great suggestion. It's not exactly the style of Gardner, Emerson or Sherinian, but it's good on it's own.

Have you explored Banco? Great keyboards with a strong left hand

Well, if you're looking for Emerson-y... you probably know this one since you know the Magna Carta label but- Cairo! And at the risk of tasteless self promotion, maybe check out the album in my sig, I tried and pay a little homage to everyone from Keith to Eddie Jobson to Thjis van Leer to whoever... it's only two bucks so how can you go wrong It's more fusiony and less aggressive though, probably.

Erik Norlander's Galactic Collective (and other solo works) should fulfil your criteria. You may also try his group (Rocket Scientists) but avoid Lana Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    Have you explored Banco? Great keyboards with a strong left hand
    Can't remember if I have checked them out. Guess not. I will do so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, if you're looking for Emerson-y... you probably know this one since you know the Magna Carta label but- Cairo! And at the risk of tasteless self promotion, maybe check out the album in my sig, I tried and pay a little homage to everyone from Keith to Eddie Jobson to Thjis van Leer to whoever... it's only two bucks so how can you go wrong It's more fusiony and less aggressive though, probably.
    Yes, I know Cairo. They have very close similarity to Emerson. Good band.
    I will check out the album which you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Erik Norlander's Galactic Collective (and other solo works) should fulfil your criteria. You may also try his group (Rocket Scientists) but avoid Lana Lane.
    I haven't checked out all of the Norlander solo works, but have heard most of the Rocket Scientists. I know them, but thanks anyway. I remember a copule of Rocket Scientists albums being really good.

Jens Johansson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Johansson
    Played with Yngwe Malmsteen, Ginger Baker, Allan Holdsworth, Jonas Hellborg, Andy West, Stratovarius, and many others

With Holdsworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWtUlpaorw

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Jens Johansson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Johansson
    Played with Yngwe Malmsteen, Ginger Baker, Allan Holdsworth, Jonas Hellborg, Andy West, Stratovarius, and many others

With Holdsworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWtUlpaorw
    I know Stratovarius, but did not know of their keyboard player solo works. Interesting. From the snippets that I heard there are some similarities with Rudess.

Jens shreds- of that there is no doubt. He's like the Yngwe of keyboard players

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You might want to check out the Japanese band Gerard, featuring Toshio Egawa on keyboards in an Emersonesque role and style. Was just this morning reading a review of their latest in Acid Dragon magazine, which is why they came to mind.