Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marvel Comics--What IF? Coltrane didn't die-an imaginary discography

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Typically when you do hear sax in rock n roll, it's more often someone from the blues/R&B world, as opposed to jazz, or at least the parts they tend to play seem to more blues oriented. There are exceptions, like Sonny Rollins on Waiting On A Friend by The Rolling Stones, for instance.
    of course, there are always exceptions... another is the sax in Floyd's Money and the end of Shine On side one but yeah... Jazz Sax guys didn't often go in the Rock/Fusion direction that Keys, Drums, Guitar players like Corea, Cobham, Coryell, Hancock, Williams, McLaughlin, etc
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    actually there aint no Jazz in that stuff, just Jazz musicians playing Pop.
    Agreed, but yet the soul-jazz label exist

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/sou...subgenre).aspx

I don't necessarily agree with their (JMA) definition, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    Typically when you do hear sax in rock n roll, it's more often someone from the blues/R&B world, as opposed to jazz, or at least the parts they tend to play seem to more blues oriented. There are exceptions, like Sonny Rollins on Waiting On A Friend by The Rolling Stones, for instance.
    of course, there are always exceptions... another is the sax in Floyd's Money and the end of Shine On side one but yeah... Jazz Sax guys didn't often go in the Rock/Fusion direction that Keys, Drums, Guitar players like Corea, Cobham, Coryell, Hancock, Williams, McLaughlin, etc
    understandbly so, too... But most of the examples you use, they were band leaders and went fusion/jazz-rock, not "rock"...

Can't see someone like Trane or Andrew Hill being "faire-valoir" (stooge) to even the most prestigious rock bands outside a very short stint

however Rollins and others did albums that approached JR/F, and often went into soul-jazz during the 70's...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    most of the examples you use, they were band leaders and went fusion/jazz-rock, not "rock"...
    all mere semantics of course... Having been part of that wonderful music zeitgeist of the early 70s, we understood it as musicians of all sorts doing progressive things with Rock music. For me, some of the best Prog was made by Jazz musicians who went Rock... no, not pedestrian Pop Rock... Progressive Rock
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?