Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Exquisite Corpse Game: Unique collaboration featuring many artists relevant to PE

The Exquisite Corpse Game: Unique collaboration featuring many artists relevant to PE

Hi.
    I know that this page isn't *necessarily* for shilling one's wares but I do believe this is an original and interesting idea and I know at least some of the contributors will be of interest to folks here.

I've been keeping it quiet because I didn't want anyone to get to the idea first!

Exquisite corpse is a method by which a collection of images is collectively assembled. Each collaborator adds to a composition in sequence until finally the whole completed picture is revealed.
    This technique invented by the Surrealists is similar to the old parlour game, Consequences, in which players write in turn on a sheet of paper, fold it to conceal part of the writing, and then pass it to the next player for a further contribution.

The Exquisite Corpse Game is a unique musical collaboration based on these rules, featuring Khyam Allami, Karda Estra, JG Thirlwell (Foetus/ Manorexia/ Steroid Maximus etc) Kavus Torabi (Knifeworld/ Cardiacs/ Guapo), British Theatre (Oceansize/ Biffy Clyro), Bob Drake (Thinking Plague/ 5uu's/ The Science Group etc) Weasel Walter (The Flying Luttenbachers/ Behold The Arctopus) Dominique Leone, Appleblim, Katharine Blake (Mediaeval Baebes/ Miranda Sex Garden) Max Tundra, Mikrokosmos (Levitation/ Dark Star/ Cardiacs) Craig Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra/ Arch Garrison)

Once the first 'fold' was recorded each artist was given only the last 20 seconds of the previous composition and had to continue by recording instrumental music in any way they saw fit.
    Whether they chose to develop themes* or take an obtuse 90 degree turn was entirely up to them.

Each 'fold' had to be a response to the 20 seconds they were given and be between one and four minutes long.

None of the contributors heard the entire piece until the final 'fold' had been completed

Taken individually, The Exquisite Corpse Game represents thirteen brand new, original compositions by thirteen innovative musical artists but taken as a whole the entire album has a kaleidoscopic, dream-like yet homogenous quality. Themes and ideas seem to repeat and reoccur throughout in a way that could not have been known to the contributors. There is an ebb and flow throughout that sounds both pre-conceived and deliberate.

The Exquisite Corpse Game will be released on September the 2nd but pre-orders will be shipped at least one month ahead of this date.

You can pre-order it here: http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/1108.htm

Thanks.
    x
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Sounds quite intriguing. I'll definitely pick this up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I know that this page isn't *necessarily* for shilling one's wares
    LOL!

That DOES sound intriguing, though. Can you tell us about how long each "fold" is? Or the range of lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL!

That DOES sound intriguing, though. Can you tell us about how long each "fold" is? Or the range of lengths?
    Each 'fold' had to be a response to the 20 seconds they were given and be between one and four minutes long.
    I think...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks - I knew it had to be buried somewhere in that dense text!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds interesting
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hi.

Here's a link to a little article in The Quietus. It has a video trailer so you can hear a little bit of what it sounds like:

http://thequietus.com/articles/12928...te-corpse-game

Also, here's a very nicely written review:

http://oliverarditi.com/2013/07/31/b...e-corpse-game/

If anyone reading doesn't have a head full of comics and fractals and knows how to post videos, then do feel free to put that trailer up so that it's watchable on here.

(I think I'm saying 'would someone a little more able than me mind posting the video?')

Thanks.

I'm most excited for Max Tundra's contribution to this and do feel a little sorry for whoever's got to follow him. But that whole lineup looks killer! I assume a digital version of this will be available at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I shall purchase this

Well from that sample it sounds worthwhile. I thought it might be more like the Miniatures albums which were very disjointed and for a lot of the time quite throwaway material, but this sounds like properly composed stuff.

Hi Kavus,

We met at the Mediaeval Baebes show in Sellersville, PA a couple of years ago and bought the Knifeworld release. We have been participating in a poetry version of the Exquisite Corpse for a few months now - everyone submits a noun, verb, or adjective and they are assembled by the moderator. We're really psyched to hear a musical version!

We'll bring our copy for signing at the Maryland Ren Faire next month!
    Cheers,
    Paul & Dvora

The album was officially released today.
    CD available from Genepool: http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/1108.htm
    Also available as a download from iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/th...?affId=1480348

Very good reviews in both Prog & Rock A Roller magazines amongst others too.

I hope this comes around to some other better digital sources (Bandcamp, Amazon). Sounds very interesting.

I would have thought it will be coming to other download services like Amazon. When releasing an album, iTunes is very quick to kick in (takes around 48 hours from submission), the others take longer - in my experience it's a few weeks. Bandcamp usually falls outside the general digital distribution set up and is more individually tailored by musician or label - Kavus?

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Intriguing ... I shall pick this up.

Well worth the wait, this is one of my records of the year so far . . .

Mine arrived t'other day - haven't had the time to play it yet.

This is excellent. It feels like one flowing piece from start to finish but its very clear that many different artists were involved. In fact I'm a little surprised this is the first album I've heard that's done like this. As I expected Max Tundra's bit is probably my favorite, but a lot of it is good

Will this be released on vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    This is excellent. It feels like one flowing piece from start to finish but its very clear that many different artists were involved. In fact I'm a little surprised this is the first album I've heard that's done like this. As I expected Max Tundra's bit is probably my favorite, but a lot of it is good
    How were you able to tell who was who from the clip above?

Hi Kavus,

Well, it took a little longer for a copy to make its way across the pond, but it was well worth the wait! Our kid Elliot's response, he's now 17 for those who remember him from NEARFest, was to declare that it is now his favorite release of the year!

Please look for us at the upcoming Maryland Ren Faire. We'll be chasing you down for an autograph!
    Cheers,
    Paul & Dvora

I went to purchase this from iTunes and there are currently two versions uploaded: ones consisting of all 13 folds and one consisting of 1 continuous 47 minute track (titled "The Exquisite Corpse Game: Complete With Folds"). Can anyone tell me if these two releases are the same? I'm assuming that the only difference is one is split up by artist and the other is the entire album as one track, but I just want to make sure they're the same before I download both. Thanks.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Kavus talked me into buying a copy off him at RIO, he seemed to be doing quite good business
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    How were you able to tell who was who from the clip above?
    Well Max Tundra you can always recognize. Otherwise I think the approaches from track to track are so different that it makes the whole unlike a typical prog album. And yet it does flow well enough to really hold up as an album (I don't really like multi-artist comps much in general).