Thread: Journey — Dream After Dream

Journey — Dream After Dream

How do you rate this one? Is it the most proggy album they ever did?
    The s/t is perhaps the most highly rated in prog circles, but I felt it was a big jam heavy, whereas Dream after Dream is more refined and better compositionally. The purely orchestral tracks are a bit out of place with the flow of the album, but hey, it is a soundtrack after all.

Never even heard of this album until I saw this thread. I just played "Destiny" on Youtube. Uh, interesting but mostly a boring track until it picks up the pace at the 5 minute mark. It is interesting though because I'd never even heard of this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Never even heard of this album until I saw this thread. I just played "Destiny" on Youtube. Uh, interesting but mostly a boring track until it picks up the pace at the 5 minute mark. It is interesting though because I'd never even heard of this project.
    I think mostly because it was always only available as a Japanese Import back in the day.

I've always been curious of it, but never wanted to spend the bucks on it.

I got it on vinyl cheap years ago - probably during the Frontiers years.

I remember being underwhelmed by it, but probably because it's not "Stone in Love" or "Any Way You Want it." I imagine that if I heard it now I'd have more of an appreciation for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I would describe is a good late night relaxation CD. A couple of Journey ballads, but the rest is very different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsZcKvR-PE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IoeobOn1sI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Tm6--XyXQ

A yery different Journey Album with some synphonic slightly neo progish instrumentals and some nice ballads.

Bought this one by accident (was looking for another one), not a must have by any means but a really nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A yery different Journey Album with some synphonic slightly neo progish instrumentals and some nice ballads.

Bought this one by accident (was looking for another one), not a must have by any means but a really nice one.
    Pretty much my sentiments. There's also a jazzy touch in the instrumental work. Not an amazing album, but one that might be of some interest to proggers.
    I didn't realize it was so unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Pretty much my sentiments. There's also a jazzy touch in the instrumental work. Not an amazing album, but one that might be of some interest to proggers.
    I didn't realize it was so unknown.
    I have the half-speed mastered lp from Japan and I only played it 3 times since I bought it new. Most Journey fans I know have no clue it even exists. I remember it being laid back and relaxing which is weird,because there's one song called,The Rape. I haven't heard the thing in decades.