Thread: Porcupine Tree - Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape re-issue pre-order

Porcupine Tree - Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape re-issue pre-order

I remember Steven Wilson mentioning this in an interview last year and have been waiting patiently for the pre-order and here it is!

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headpho...dreamscape-cd/

It's obviously very early material (I think he was quite reluctant to re-release it) and so it comes with a "health warning" which I have copied from his web site:

"A newly remastered and repackaged edition of the very earliest experimental recordings that SW made under the name of Porcupine Tree. The music here was originally released on cassette tapes in 1989-91, then compiled and reissued as a limited CD in 1994, and later on vinyl with one track substituted. This new CD edition stays with the revised 1999 vinyl track listing, and contains over 75 minutes of music.

Because of the increasing demand for early out of print Porcupine Tree releases, a decision was made to reissue the album. This new edition has been remastered from the best sources available. All the same please lower your sonic and musical expectations for these very early experiments!"

It's better the money goes to Steven instead of the ebay-fakers, even if the music on this disc is not earth-shattering. Although some of the tracks are quite cool.

Great news! I'm a rabid, drooling fanboy when it comes to early PT and this is a big missing piece of my collection. I've only heard some of this stuff by tracking it down on YouTube.

Ka-ching!

I only had this on a CD-R someone was kind enough to make for me. Just pre-ordered the reissue. Thanks for sharing the link.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cha Ching - Thanks for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Nice that this will be available once again. YHD may be a bit patchy but it does have it's moments. My fav track is the opener, "Mute", which shares a riff with no-man's "Days In The Trees".

I have the very rare original black vinyl. Only about 150 copies were made of which I have one(yes I realize it's a double album). I only played it once or twice(I taped it but don't know where the tape is). It's worth about $500 dollars on ebay but I'll never sell mine. Some things you can't put a price tag on. Mine isn't autographed or anything but I did buy it at PT show back in 2001.

Even though it's very early stuff and a bit amateurish in places, it's a really great album and the sound quality is very good too.

Purchased, I have been looking for this for many years (but not wanting to shell out for the ebay prices.) Is the version of the title track different from what appears on "Staircase Infinities"?
    American Hollow - my prog band.

Mine just arrived today. Listened to it twice so far, and it's a lot better than I expected. A lot of it is formative and amateurish, but even as a kid mucking around with a 4-track, Wilson was doing interesting work. It seems that he selected more of the structured vocal songs from the early cassettes for On the Sunday of Life, while most of the more experimental "headtrip" pieces made it onto this "leftovers" album. While I enjoy both of them, I actually think I'm going to end up getting more mileage out of Dreamscape. "Daughters in Excess", for example, is some pretty intense space rock, and the kind of thing I'm inclined to listen to more often than the elfin-voiced psychedelic pop of early Wilson song efforts like "Jupiter Island", "Linton Samuel Dawson", and "The Nostalgia Factory".

Quote Originally Posted by playbass View Post
    Purchased, I have been looking for this for many years (but not wanting to shell out for the ebay prices.) Is the version of the title track different from what appears on "Staircase Infinities"?
    Yes. The earlier version is actually something of an inside joke, a faked live piece with narration by one of Wilson's friends, where he introduces the various members of a fictitious Porcupine Tree band (actually just Wilson at that point) to an imaginary audience.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like it - like it a lot. Need to spin it more. Once you accept it's totally developmental and sit back and relax, it's really quite pleasant.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Mine arrived this week. I plan on spinning it over the weekend.

Mine's been shipped -- hoping it arrives soon!

Still waiting on mine! Hopefully the mailman brings it today.

Ordered... I'll no longer have to abuse my Gates of Dawn vinyl...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My copy finally arrived! I must say, I think this collection is better than PT's 'real' first album.

I was surprised at the quality of the music after reading Steven's comment, "...a lot of the music barely rises above the definition of 'messing about'."
    I bought this as a curiosity, but I'll be listening to it again.

I guess I might have to pick this one up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, as an owner of the original Magic Gnome CD since ages, I'll say that this is among the best Porcupine Tree music your money can buy.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I put on On the Sunday of Life today and realized I hadn't ordered this. Whoops. Glad to see it hasn't gone OOP. Ordered.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

You can get this on eBay as sold by Headphone Dust for a reasonable price, highly recommended.