Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Ordered Some UFO CDs From Amazon

Banned

Just Ordered Some UFO CDs From Amazon

I just ordered some UFO CDs from Amazon. Since they were about $4 each, I figured "what the heck". I got Phenomenon, Force It, No Heavy Petting, Obsession, and No Place To Run. I could have easily gotten the two UFO Charysalis box sets, but I don't like how they split the tracks on the box sets. Also, I'm a guy that would like the complete packages, and I didn't think that the covers were included in the box sets. I picked these particular CDs, because I like those Hipgnosis covers. What do people think about my UFO selection, or UFO in general? Btw, I didn't get Lights Out, because I already have that one.
    Last edited by JIF; 05-07-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Love UFO - if you enjoy Lights Out, you'll dig all of the ones you ordered. Force It is my favorite. If you don't already have their double live record, Strangers In the Night, I'd recommend that one too. One of the best - if not the best - hard rock live recording of all time!

You now got all the classics ! Are they the remasters with extra tracks ? Walk on Water was a great re-union album with Schenker also !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I'm pretty sure he got the remasters, because I bought the same albums JIF did about a year ago at a store for about $5 each. Instant UFO collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    If you don't already have their double live record, Strangers In the Night, I'd recommend that one too. One of the best - if not the best - hard rock live recording of all time!
    I agree!

Good call, the UFO albums with Schenker are amazing. As far as the post-Schenker material, for that I got the Chrysalis box sets, as I don't like those albums so much. Some good tunes but some filler.

I agree with those that recommend the live album Strangers In The Night.

I have never heard the reunion albums with Schenker, I am curious as to what other UFO fans think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Good call, the UFO albums with Schenker are amazing. As far as the post-Schenker material, for that I got the Chrysalis box sets, as I don't like those albums so much. Some good tunes but some filler.

I have never heard the reunion albums with Schenker, I am curious as to what other UFO fans think about them.
    'Walk on Water' is excellent . Never bought 'Covenant' or 'Sharks' as i remember the bad reviews preventing me from doing so! An excellent live album from the Schenker reunion tour called 'Werewolves in London'! Also have a live box set from various Schenker tours but now deleted!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Well, all of the Schenker first-era releases are essential, and you now have them all except the most important one: Strangers in the Night. As alluded to above, it's the best live album of all time, IMO. You also got the first post-Schenker album, No Place to Run, which is actually very good. The releases after that are hit and miss, but I think the other one in the catalog worth getting is The Wild, The Willing, and The Innocent...it's a great record.

Another UFO-related album worth seeking out is the vastly underrated release from the Phil Mogg/Jeff Kollman project $ign of 4, called Dancing With St. Peter. Great stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Love UFO - if you enjoy Lights Out, you'll dig all of the ones you ordered. Force It is my favorite. If you don't already have their double live record, Strangers In the Night, I'd recommend that one too. One of the best - if not the best - hard rock live recording of all time!
    I was going to get Strangers In The Night(which I have seen at Best Buy many times), But I passed on it because that's all that damn Eddie Trunk talks about. Although, I plan on getting it eventually, because I do like that version of Love To Love(it features some Moog playing by Paul Raymond that the studio version doesn't have).

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    You now got all the classics ! Are they the remasters with extra tracks ? Walk on Water was a great re-union album with Schenker also !
    Yes. I already have the Rock Candy Records remaster of Lights Out. So, I made sure that the other UFO cds that I purchased were also the Rock Candy versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post

I didn't go with the box sets, because they don't have the original covers in full(just on the back with the track listings). Also, they had to divide some of the albums between two different cds. I wouldn't preferred something like the Black Box or The Rules Of Hell(the cds will full artwork).

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Well, all of the Schenker first-era releases are essential, and you now have them all except the most important one: Strangers in the Night. As alluded to above, it's the best live album of all time, IMO. You also got the first post-Schenker album, No Place to Run, which is actually very good. The releases after that are hit and miss, but I think the other one in the catalog worth getting is The Wild, The Willing, and The Innocent...it's a great record.

Another UFO-related album worth seeking out is the vastly underrated release from the Phil Mogg/Jeff Kollman project $ign of 4, called Dancing With St. Peter. Great stuff.
    Thanks for you thoughts on No Place To Run. I got that one because it was produced by George Martin. I will take your suggestion on The Wild, Willing, And The Innocent. I also might get Mechanix down the line, because(if I recall correctly) Eddie Trunk did the liner notes.
    Last edited by JIF; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 AM.

"Strangers In The Night" is one topic where Trunk knows what he is talking about. If you are getting into UFO it is essential. Of their more recent stuff, I thought "You Are Here" from 2004 was good.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Strangers In The Night" is one topic where Trunk knows what he is talking about. If you are getting into UFO it is essential. Of their more recent stuff, I thought "You Are Here" from 2004 was good.

Steve Sly
    I usually don't like to start with live albums. Plus, I got these cds because they were so cheap.

About "Strangers In The Night", I'll provide a quote I just took from a UFO thread on the Steve Hoffman site:

"If you haven't ever heard Strangers in the Night then shame on you. It really is, quite honestly, the best introduction to UFO a person can have and contains, easily, their best material from the Schenker era. Not to mention it's one of the greatest live hard rock albums in the history of the entire genre, IMO."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    About "Strangers In The Night", I'll provide a quote I just took from a UFO thread on the Steve Hoffman site:

"If you haven't ever heard Strangers in the Night then shame on you. It really is, quite honestly, the best introduction to UFO a person can have and contains, easily, their best material from the Schenker era. Not to mention it's one of the greatest live hard rock albums in the history of the entire genre, IMO."
    See the post above yours?

Banned
    I just visited the website Planet Mellotron, and it gave Force It and No Heavy Petting great reviews.

Banned
    Inspired by this thread(and by the fact that my copy of Force It arrived today), I decided to watch the Michael Schenker/Mike McCreedy episode of That Metal Show and I noticed that all the UFO albums made during Schenker's original tenure in the band made the TMS Top Five. Btw, my thoughts on Force It will come later after I give it another listen.

Banned
    I am listening to Force It for the third time. This thing cooks. Chick Churchill from Ten Years After plays some nice keyboards. Love his electric piano work on Out In The Street, and his Mellotron work on High Flyer and the Between The Walls section of This Kid's. Apparently, Jim Dewar from the Robin Trower band sings backing vocals on a couple of songs. Love the line "foxtroting with my girl" on Dance Your Life Away(also dig Chick's organ playing and Pete's bass on that). A minus for Strangers In The Night is that it lacks Michael's beautiful instrumental Between The Walls, which concluded the song This Kid's. I would give this one five stars. Can't wait for the rest of my UFO cds to arrive.

Banned
    Btw(regarding the cover art), which one's the girl and which one's the guy? Hope I haven't been staring at a guy's bare ass this whole time.

Banned
    My other UFO CDs(Phenomenon, No Heavy Petting, Obsession, and No Place To Run) arrived today. I'm currently enjoying No Place To Run. This one seems more melodic that the others. Paul C seems to lack the presence of Michael S. Pete's bass stands out on Money Money and the slow parts of Anyday. George Martin's production style seems smoother than Ron Nevison's.

Banned
    From reading the liner notes, I learned that No Place To Run was the first album recorded at Air Studios Montserrat location.

I got Strangers In the Night a couple of years ago but was not induced by it to want to try anything else by the band.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I got Strangers In the Night a couple of years ago but was not induced by it to want to try anything else by the band.
    You probably should've started with Lights Out like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    You probably should've started with Lights Out like I did.
    Nah, I just don't like big dumb '70s hard rock all that much, which is what UFO is. I thought that maybe, on their legendary live album, they could transcend the style. I certainly understand why fans of the band would consider that one their best album, as the performances are quite energetic and there's some kick-ass solos, but ultimately I'm just not into the material enough to love it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Nah, I just don't like big dumb '70s hard rock all that much, which is what UFO is. I thought that maybe, on their legendary live album, they could transcend the style. I certainly understand why fans of the band would consider that one their best album, as the performances are quite energetic and there's some kick-ass solos, but ultimately I'm just not into the material enough to love it.
    Big dumb '70s rock? You, my friend, are dearly mistaken. Their studio albums have plenty of depth. Just give a listen to Obsession. Would you call Led Zepplin or Sabbath "big dumb rock"?

Banned
    I have to give a shout out to UFO's 1978 classic, Obsession. I love the big booming drums, and the live feel of this record. Reading the liner notes to the Rock Candy Records reissue, I learned that UFO used an old abandoned post office to record parts of this album. To the poster that called UFO "big dumb '70s rock", you should listen to tracks like Looking Out For No. 1 off Obsession and Love To Love from Lights Out. Those songs are very dramatic and emotional. Also of note is the instrumental Arbory Hill from Obsession(featuring Michael Scheneker playing flute). I first remember hearing Looking Out For No. 1 on the Essential UFO(which I heard on an old radio program called The 7th Day).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Big dumb '70s rock? You, my friend, are dearly mistaken. Their studio albums have plenty of depth. Just give a listen to Obsession. Would you call Led Zepplin or Sabbath "big dumb rock"?
    Correct ! UFO had much more class & substance than most bands of that era !

Obsession just pips Lights Out for me !