Thread: Genre map for prog and others

some people simply have got too much time on their hands
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dear god
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ? The size and location of the band names doesn't seem to have any significance.

Mellow Gold is a genre?

every band is a new "genre"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Click on "Transatlantic"

-Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ? The size and location of the band names doesn't seem to have any significance.
    My thought exactly
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"This is an algorithmically-generated non-analytical map of the musical genre-space. Genres and artists are positioned by code and data, adjusted for legibility, but the underlying vectors are less interesting than the juxtapositions and clusters that they produce, so the axes have been deliberately left unlabeled and uncalibrated. You are invited to imagine your own qualities and magnitudes that the geometry might be expressing."

Well, duh.

Holy crap- I have to get into Twee Pop!

http://www.furia.com/misc/genremaps/...p-tweepop.html

I wish the damn sound examples would play on my browser...

Didn't check, but are zeuhl and Canterbury Scene mentionned??

And yes, the placing of bands seems random inside the genres... as are, to a lesser extent, the genres in that genre table
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    "This is an algorithmically-generated non-analytical map of the musical genre-space. Genres and artists are positioned by code and data, adjusted for legibility, but the underlying vectors are less interesting than the juxtapositions and clusters that they produce, so the axes have been deliberately left unlabeled and uncalibrated. You are invited to imagine your own qualities and magnitudes that the geometry might be expressing."
    And, also:

"People keep asking me, very reasonably, what the "axes" are on these things. They aren't exactly data plots, due to the cheerfully aggressive algorithmic rearranging of names to make them readable. But roughly speaking, left is more electric and right is more acoustic. And even more roughly speaking, up is more sonic density or uniformity, down is more sonic spareness or spikiness. The less data, the looser the correlations, so the artist distribution within a genre tends to be necessarily less precisely data-related than the distribution of genres. And the genre views are normalized individually, so the bands at the right edge of pagan black metal are actually far less acoustic than those at the right edge of warm drone. If you really want to worry about dimensional distributions and standard deviations, you should come work at the Echo Nest. Otherwise, just focus on the juxtapositions and clusters, and make up your own mind whether they help you think about anything. "

No Magma, no Zeuhl.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Holy crap- I have to get into Twee Pop!
    I thought that described Glass Hammer pretty well

Skipped again...oh well.
    There goes 15 min of my life, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I thought that described Glass Hammer pretty well
    Obviously you didn't even look at the maps

Zeuhl bands are included in the Canterbury Scene section.

Alls I know is that on the Prog Rock map, the closest thing to Nick Mason is Anglagard. So whatever. They're fun to look at, anyway. At the least, they can remind me of bands I haven't listened to or thought of for a while.

On the entire map, at the top, is a box to search for a band.

"And I put a "find artist" widget on the front page, which will tell you which genres that artist is in. Keep in mind that I only show a couple hundred representative artists for each genre, so plenty of bands that we would all agree "are" a certain genre won't actually appear in the maps here."

-

"I keep working on the systems from which I derive Every Noise at Once, and update it periodically. It should now be doing a slightly better job than before at picking example songs, like Jimmy Eat World instead of My Chemical Romance for emo, Ornette Coleman instead of Miles Davis for avant-garde jazz, and hopefully etcetera.

We also keep adding genres, the most recent of which are qawwali, steampunk, warm drone, japanese psychedelic, microhouse, bounce, indian pop and electro swing. If you are thinking of inventing a new style of music, please check and see if there are already 241 bands from Slovenia and Malawi fighting over its protocols and implications."

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    [I)

We also keep adding genres, the most recent of which are qawwali, steampunk, warm drone, japanese psychedelic, microhouse, bounce, indian pop and electro swing. If you are thinking of inventing a new style of music, please check and see if there are already 241 bands from Slovenia and Malawi fighting over its protocols and implications."[/I]
    Yet more evidence that much of the current concept of genre has devolved into silliness.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Univers Zero and Magma are on the Canterbury genre map!!
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Obviously you didn't even look at the maps
    just for the record, i'm a big fan of GH. just listened to perilous. great work.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Univers Zero and Magma are on the Canterbury genre map!!
    epic FAIL
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?