Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Violent Album Covers

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Violent Album Covers

I just want to ask first that we keep this thread somewhat in the bounds of good taste. I'm just not interested in someone posting that Scorpions cover again and then someone objecting to it and then... I know I could be asking for trouble here, but it shouldn't really be too hard to do this semi-tastefully.

Anyway, I thought of the thread after just seeing this cover, which I thought was pretty surprising. Kind of interesting, but also surprising. I did a bit of a double-take. That's one strong bird to be able to pierce her jaw like that. Kind of reminiscent of the Debbie Harry HR Giger cover, which I guess I'll post for reference.

Those are cool art.Delain cover is pretty hypnotizing.I haven't heard either album though.

Spooky Tooth / Pierre Henry - Ceremony

Spooky Tooth - Pierre Henry - Ceremony 01.jpg

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Come In Un'Ultima
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Come In Un'Ultima 01.jpg

This is outrageous.You just can't do it.

New Trolls Atomic System

New Trolls Atomic System 01.jpg

Spring

Spring 01.jpg

Not the cover, but the picture on the CD Vixit from Indiscipline is pretty violent. Alas I can't find it online.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    One I remember is Andrew WK 's I Get Wet. I don't know the music, and won't ever check it out due to that cover. I will only provide a link because I just hate it..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Get_Wet
    Silence of Another Kind by Paatos has a violent cover as well:

Also ARPIA's Liberazione has some violent photo's...:

I still remember the views I got when I bought it
    Actually, I should play this today. It's May 5, Liberation Day!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Last edited by sonic; 05-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Last edited by sonic; 05-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Big Black's original cover for "Headache" takes the prize, but I won't post it here - youse with Google-fu can go find it if you want.

Not just Killers but pretty much every IM cover.

In the Court of the Crimson King feels violent even if there is no peeling flesh or blood or bodily harm. There's violence happening there.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Big Black's original cover for "Headache" takes the prize, but I won't post it here - youse with Google-fu can go find it if you want.
    Now I wish I didn't.
    I'm guessing the funeral wasn't open casket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Would this one count?
    It depends how hard he hits.

Situation that may lead to violent.

Heldon - Allez Teia

Heldon - Allez Teia 01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Now I wish I didn't.
    No kidding. Reminds me of a forensics pamphlet I found in high school about blood spatter patterns and how to read them. Real CSI stuff. Lots of rap, hip-hop, and metal covers explore blood & gore, usually in an adolescent and prurient manner. Though not blood & guts I always found Ralph Steadman's cover for "The Last Nightingale" to be heart-breakingly melancholic.

Bloodrock obviously. 'U.S.A.' especially.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    You beat me to it. I was going to say that if I posted the cover here, no one would ever speak to me again. I was at the late, lamented Reckless Records in San Francisco, who had a copy out on display for some sort of outrageous price. I’ve never seen that version again (and am pretty sure I don’t want to!).

In a similar vein, however “cheesy B-movie splatter effect”-y, there’s Spinegrinder’s A Visual Symphony of Horror.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Nihon”-Far Out

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Though not blood & guts I always found Ralph Steadman's cover for "The Last Nightingale" to be heart-breakingly melancholic.
    It is,indeed.Reminds Storm Corrosion - Drag Ropes video.

Naked City - Leng Tch'e. Horrific because it's real.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

There was some punk/hardcore band in the 80's whose name escapes me but the album title was something like "Inside My Head" and it was an illustration of an ax planted in a girl's head. I couldn't find it with an internet search. I only remember it because a used record store used to have it prominently displayed.

All Cannibal Corpse albums are pretty horrific, I won't post any here.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some interesting stuff so far! Inever really understood why the Beatles went with the butcher cover idea initially. Does anyknow know who's idea it was and why it wasn't dismissed right away as not a good idea? They were usually fairly tasteful (though overall I'd say the Beatles covers were all pretty uninteresting).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Some interesting stuff so far! Inever really understood why the Beatles went with the butcher cover idea initially. Does anyknow know who's idea it was and why it wasn't dismissed right away as not a good idea? They were usually fairly tasteful (though overall I'd say the Beatles covers were all pretty uninteresting).
    Can't agree with that. Revolver is one of the best rock album covers of all time. Stoned teenagers in the 70s starred at St. Pepper's for hours on end - very creative cover. I agree that not all were stellar but the two I mentioned are hardly uninteresting to me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well here's a violent transformation, if that counts:

from this:midnig-headin.jpg

to this: garrett_1.jpg

(http://ministers.deewr.gov.au/garrett)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?