Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Zappa - A Token of His Extreme

Frank Zappa - A Token of His Extreme

No, this is the six-piece band from a year after the Roxy gigs. (Roxy was an eight-piece band--these guys plus Bruce Fowler and Ralph Humphreys--plus Jeff Simmons as a guest.) It's the source of the "Inca Roads" basic track. Much of this show has already been released on Dub Room Special.
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 05-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.

I would like to see this released as a standalone show, without all the 80's band stuff cut into it. They released the full 80's show as The Torture Never Stops, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, this is the six-piece band from a year after the Roxy gigs. It's the source of the "Inca Roads" guitar solo. Much of this show has already been released on Dub Room Special.
    That's what I thought

So wtf is the point....Dub Room is still in print......

Plus with all of Zappa's seizure-inducing quick cut video edits in all their glory!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Beware ! There seems to be two versions of this DVD with the same tittle: the (official) produced by EAGLE ROCK ENTERTAINMENT (with FZ in a TV screen cover) and the cheap German FNM (Falcon Neue Medien) with a different (purple) cover which looks like a poor quality 3rd generation bootleg. I'm note sure if the contents are the same (I only have the latter) but be sure to get the official version or the Dubroom Special which is also great.
    BTW, is there any official unedited version of the 1974 TV performance from Dubroom Special WITHOUT the special effects ? I would love to WATCH FZ's playing the complete guitar solos in Inca Roads or Stinkfoot without the disturbing effects/video edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    BTW, is there any official unedited version of the 1974 TV performance from Dubroom Special WITHOUT the special effects ? I would love to WATCH FZ's playing the complete guitar solos in Inca Roads or Stinkfoot without the disturbing effects/video edits.
    There are still the "disturbing effects/video edits" in A Token Of My Extreme (though i always thought the Bruce Bickford animated sequence in Inca Roads was brilliant...) But the good news is that the awful sound effects that Zappa added to the footage that can be heard in The Dub Room Special video are NOT on the original Token video.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Joe Travers showed me the master for the official release of Token and it looks and sounds amazing. Original Kerry McNabb stereo mix, and I don't think it ever aired in stereo anywhere so I'd be real surprised if the unofficial release sounds as good. And lots of material not in Dub Room. As much as I dig the 1981 band, it's great to just have a straightforward document like this of the 1974 band being fucking amazing. Cool bonus stuff on the DVD also. Oh, also, Token is not the source of the Inca guitar solo as written by someone above - that's from the Helsinki gig - but it is the source of the basic track for the REST of Inca (as well as Pogen) on One Size Fits All.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Oh, also, Token is not the source of the Inca guitar solo as written by someone above - that's from the Helsinki gig - but it is the source of the basic track for the REST of Inca (as well as Pogen) on One Size Fits All.
    Whoops, you're right, of course. Corrected.

Damn you Mkie, ...Now I guess i have to have this....

Oh wow ... didn't realize this was an official release. I'm ordering the crap out of this! Thanks Anthony and Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    They released the full 80's show as The Torture Never Stops, so why not?
    No they didn't. The Torture Never Stops is edited together from two shows (both occurring on the same night), with a number of selections from both performances still missing:

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/video...lloween81.html

Yeah, I found Sinister Footwear on YouTube, but it's not on the DVD. Too bad. But I love the '74 stuff on Dub Room. Did FZ add some guitar effects in post production? His lead guitar sound is killer on this. I have the CD as well.

Wish they would offer a director's cut sans the Claymation. Covering up 75% of Inca Roads was a CRIMINAL ACT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Wish they would offer a director's cut sans the Claymation. Covering up 75% of Inca Roads was a CRIMINAL ACT!
    Indeed. At least we got to see Most of Duke's solo...

Does this make my Dub Room DVD expendable

Anxiously awaiting my DVD today...woooooohooooo

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Does this make my Dub Room DVD expendable
    There is some material from this show on Dub Room that is not included on Token, so no.

Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Like what?
    All of the 80's stuff with that awful pink suit.

I said material from this show, meaning the 1974 taping. Token does not include "Cosmik Debris" or "Approximate," and I believe there is a section of the "Room Service" routine that is also unique to Dub Room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I said material from this show, meaning the 1974 taping. Token does not include "Cosmik Debris" or "Approximate," and I believe there is a section of the "Room Service" routine that is also unique to Dub Room.
    Oh really? Bummer. I loaned out my copy of Dub Room and haven't seen it since...

If you guys are interested, I scribbled down some of my thoughts on the new release here:

http://zombywoofblog.wordpress.com/2...d-2013-review/

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Oh really? Bummer. I loaned out my copy of Dub Room and haven't seen it since...
    Never loan out Zappa videos. I loaned out my Zappa's Universe VHS and never saw it again.