Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi-res Yesshows on HD Tracks

So how are people playing these HR files? Are people commonly using HMDI output from their computer to their receiver? Using what player on their computer?

I have an older receiver and DVD-A player that uses analog lines for the hi-res formats like DVD-A and SACD. This was standard back then due to copyright concerns. Now HMDI has solved that, but without buying a new receiver, the only way it seems that I'd be able to listen to these as hi-res data would be to burn them to DVD-A - at additional cost and labor. As interesting as HD Tracks sounds, it looks like I'll have to wait until I can upgrade the rest of my system for HMDI.

For the past two years I used the Bryston BDP-1 feeding hi-res files to my Bricasti M1 DAC over USB. Great sounding unit but I hated the interface (I controlled it with my iPad). I just sold the Bryston and I bought a Mac Mini instead. I'm storing all my files on a Synology NAS.

So basically this new version has less bass than any I've heard. I don't mean bass as in Squire's bass. I mean bass as in lower frequencies.

I remember years ago one guy arguing that the original Japanese CD version didn't have enough bass compared to the vinyl, but it certainly has more bass than the HDtracks.

Seems they are raving about this over at the Hoffman site, but I've yet to see a single person besides me compare it to the original CD. They really are very similar and the original has more bottom end. If forced to choose, I'd probably stick with the original CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Octave_Doctor View Post
    So how are people playing these HR files? Are people commonly using HMDI output from their computer to their receiver? Using what player on their computer?
    I have two set ups and neither uses HDMI:

The speaker-based system uses a modified Mac Mini with a solid state drive and Amarra as the playback software. That is connected by firewire to a Weiss 202 DAC which goes direct to my amps (by-passes my preamp). The music files (AIFF) are stored on an external Glyph hard drive.

The headphone-based system uses a PC laptop and J River 17 as the playback software. The DAC is an Ayre QB 9 (USB) which goes directly into my headphone amp. Music files (FLAC) are stored on portable external hard drives.

There are a lot of ways to play back high-res files so you have a lot of flexibility. What is nice is that you can try it out without having to spend a fortune. A friend took an older laptop, downloaded some free playback software (Media Monkey), and got a USB DAC from Audioquest (Dragonfly). The DAC and cable cost less than $300.00 and the setup sounds really good.

Back to Yesshows. I have the Gastwirt remaster so I might wait for a sale.

Besides, I may have to wait to see how the Rush stuff sounds.
    E

Quote Originally Posted by E() View Post
    I have two set ups and neither uses HDMI:

The speaker-based system uses a modified Mac Mini with a solid state drive and Amarra as the playback software. That is connected by firewire to a Weiss 202 DAC which goes direct to my amps (by-passes my preamp). The music files (AIFF) are stored on an external Glyph hard drive.
    You might want to consider contacting Vinnie at Red Wine Audio. I'm in the queue to have the Mac Mini modified to run off of his Black Lightning battery power supply. He removes the switching power supply in the Mac Mini. I anticipate a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    You might want to consider contacting Vinnie at Red Wine Audio. I'm in the queue to have the Mac Mini modified to run off of his Black Lightning battery power supply. He removes the switching power supply in the Mac Mini. I anticipate a huge improvement.
    Sounds interesting. I just got one of his modified Astell & Kern portable players (RWAK 100) and he was very quick and responsive. Is he going to hard wire the Mini to the BL?
    E

Not hard wired. He will remove the power supply and add an umbilicle cable

I use 25' RCA cables to the aux input on my Pioneer Home Theater receiver. My output is from a M-Audio Delta 44 PCI Interface sound card,
    I also have a Klipsch THX 2.1 speaker system on my PC. I also have the Sennheiser HD-595 headphones hooked up to the Klipsch headphone jack.
    No special DAC needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I also have a Klipsch THX 2.1 speaker system on my PC.
    Those things are amazing. They sound better than most people regular home stereos...