Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hanneman of Slayer RIP

Jeff Hanneman of Slayer RIP

RIP.

Definitely an inspiration to me many years ago. And here and there still in our music there is a hint of Slayer.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Playing Reign In Blood tonight, R.I.P.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Yeah, just heard about this. RIP

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this. Too young. Rest in peace, Jeff. Now I have to switch from listening to Django Reinhardt to Slayer.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

a final \m/ and respect.

One of the best axemen of the thrash metal genre. Etermal thanks for the brilliant exercise in brutality!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Jesus - all that from something as simple as a spider bite! We really are so fragile.

Rest in peace - it's over now.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    a final \m/ and respect.
    Indeed. Really sad & devastating news. This dude was a major influence on modern metal, with Reign in Blood at the apex. He and I were born exactly 2 weeks apart, back in '64. Sobering stuff... I feel the sudden urge to call Billy the Exterminator.

They had BETTER put both a Dead Kennedys & an Oakland Raiders sticker on the coffin, if there is one.

JeffHanneman.jpg
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Banned
    Was it really a spider bite that did him in?

For me at least, along with Tony Iommi and Steve Hillage, Jeff Hanneman was one corner of 'The great riff writing' triangle. His angular, otherworldly melodies were both spectral and terrifying, defining the very Slayer sound.
    Although born from that scene, I don's see Reign In Blood next to its so called contemporaries such as Master Of Puppets or Among The Living, but more alongside the likes of Bitches Brew, The Marble Index and Trout Mask Replica.
    It's an album that transcended its genre. Genuinely it is art. Funnily enough South Of Heaven is my favourite but as a complete, pure, crystalline and beautiful statement of art Reign In Blood is where it's at.

An extraordinary composer, just look at the writing credits for South Of Heaven, Spill The Blood, Mandatory Suicide, Seasons In The Abyss, Angel Of Death, Raining Blood etc etc. Not to discredit King and his heads-down chromatic punky chug-fests or anything but Hanneman wrote all my favourite stuff.

What a way to go.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-03-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Saw him way back in '82 or so in front of maybe a hundred people. Not exactly to everybody's taste, but one helluva player. Seemed a decent guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Liver failure officially, but I don't think he ever fully recovered from a spider bite a few years ago. I agree with Kavus, Slayer transcended the genre moreso than and are still far and away my favorite of the so-called Big Four. There are few more crushing moments in music than the entire 4:17 of Raining Blood.

There is info here about the spider bite and necrotizing fasciitis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hanneman

NP: Reign In Blood
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Liver failure officially, but I don't think he ever fully recovered from a spider bite a few years ago. I agree with Kavus, Slayer transcended the genre moreso than and are still far and away my favorite of the so-called Big Four. There are few more crushing moments in music than the entire 4:17 of Raining Blood.
    There are also internet rumors out there that his drinking has been out of control and if that's true, combined with any meds he might have been on, it wouldn't have helped matters.

To me, Slayer is no more. Without Hanneman and with Dave Lombardi out, it just isn't Slayer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    There are also internet rumors out there that his drinking has been out of control and if that's true, combined with any meds he might have been on, it wouldn't have helped matters.

To me, Slayer is no more. Without Hanneman and with Dave Lombardi out, it just isn't Slayer, IMO.
    No Jon Anderson, no slayer....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Didn't they have to cancel a tour in the past couple of years because of Araya back issues? Agree it seems like a real good time to call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    No Jon Anderson, no slayer....
    How cool would that be though.

Banned

Your point has been proven moot in a way, since there has been a version of Slayer without Lombardo.

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Steve Rothery mentioned something about Jeff and a spider bite on his Facebook page.

Saw this news last night. Very sad. R.I.P. Jeff. He was always my favorite writer in Slayer.

A devastating loss, I think. He still had lots to give.

For my money, Reign in Blood remains one of the best 10 metal albums I ever heard - although I haven't really been a "metal fan" for some 25 years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

when Dimebag Darrell died, I'd never heard of the guy, but he clearly meant a lot to a lot of people. I'd never heard of Jeff Hanneman either, but he clearly was important to many people, so I'm very sorry he's gone too.
    Last edited by davis; 05-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    we'll leave it at a spider bite/flesh eating virus, that's a more 'metal' way to go.

sad loss none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They're certainly welcome to go at it. I'll make popcorn.