Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hanneman of Slayer RIP

so why is the WBC gang picketing this guy's funeral? other than they don't really like anyone but themselves

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    so why is the WBC gang picketing this guy's funeral? other than they don't really like anyone but themselves
    Because it will get them attention and in the news.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Don't really know that they are. You can't believe everything you find on the internet. If it happens, my money is on the Slayer fans.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sad to hear of this, too young. Personally I never could stand Slayer, never got their brand of thrash metal, and I tend to like the sub-genre. The satanic stuff was an instant turn off. And "Reign in Blood"? Seriously? I don't understand the need for all their songs to be so dark and negative. That could describe most thrash of course, but Slayer seemed to take that to a new level of despair.

BTW, the Jon Anderson comment was great!

For me what made and continued to make Slayer so remarkable and quite beyond thrash metal (which at the time I dug) was the way they either discarded or distilled all the elements into something wholly different and transgressive.

I got Reign In Blood when it came out and it took me a while to 'get' it but ultimately what it did is highlight all the cliches and corniness of that genre and metal itself that I hadn't previously noticed.

Just compare that record to its peers at the time (say Metallica, Anthrax and *shudders* Megadeth) Take the song form. RiB dispels with that whole 'acoustic intro' (to prove we're 'serious' musicians, yeah?), long breakdowns, lyrics 'about, like, society and problems and stuff and tedious 'yes, I've taken lessons' neo-classical scales on the guitar.

The lyrics are distilled into a catalogue of horror that almost becomes cathartic. The exciting part of the solo-ing (the speed and movement) is reduced, or perhaps expanded into a sprawling atonal noise that owes more to Ornette Coleman than it does to Yngwie Malmsteen, serving the same purpose but much more exciting and unhinged, the production is freed from that horrible clicky-kick drum, reverb laden, scooped-mid guitar that has since made all of that stuff so hard to re-visit and just sounds like a well recorded rock band playing REALLY MENTAL MUSIC.

Musically I don't think anyone had done anything like what Slayer were doing to that level in rock before. The music seems to have no ties to the blues whatsoever. Harmonically it seems inspired more by the likes of Bartok or even Webern. In that speed there are polyrhythms that are streets ahead of their peers. Dave Lombardo brought an inventiveness and groove that had not been heard in metal previously and basically defined *that* double-kick thing.

Even the covers. Where metal covers all seemed to go for these garish, airbrushed, sub-Derek Riggs 'Aren't we evil? Look... a skull!', Slayer's sleeves looked like THEY WERE PAINTED BY AN ACTUAL MADMAN WHO WAS SEEING THESE 'VISIONS' FOR REAL.

But as I said before, it was Hanneman's compositions, all be it played by an incredibly focussed and gifted band with a rare chemistry and vision, that really made the Slayer sound what it was.

It's not good, it's not evil. It's the sound of pure terrifying and exhilarating adrenaline. Their music is just magic, man.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-07-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    The lyrics are distilled into a catalogue of horror that almost becomes cathartic. The exciting part of the solo-ing (the speed and movement) is reduced, or perhaps expanded into a sprawling atonal noise that owes more to Ornette Coleman than it does to Yngwie Malmsteen, serving the same purpose but much more exciting and unhinged, the production is freed from that horrible clicky-kick drum, reverb laden, scooped-mid guitar that has since made all of that stuff so hard to re-visit and just sounds like a well recorded rock band playing REALLY MENTAL MUSIC.

Musically I don't think anyone had done anything like what Slayer were doing to that level in rock before. The music seems to have no ties to the blues whatsoever. Harmonically it seems inspired more by the likes of Bartok or even Webern. In that speed there are polyrhythms that are streets ahead of their peers. Dave Lombardo brought an inventiveness and groove that had not been heard in metal previously and basically defined *that* double-kick thing.

But as I said before, it was Hanneman's compositions, all be it played by an incredibly focussed and gifted band with a rare chemistry and vision, that really made the Slayer sound what it was.

It's not good, it's not evil. It's the sound of pure terrifying and exhilarating adrenaline. Their music is just magic, man.

Very well-put, Kavus. This is honestly among the best descriptions I've read regarding Slayer's music.

They were the first and only band I've seen who managed to instigate a three-ring mosh pit. And I mean these were 3 FULL-SIZED epic pits, all going full steam. I'll never forget it.

I've had trouble really getting into most of what came after 'Reign', but it was tough to outdo such a crushing masterpiece. I've read similar sentiments from the band members themselves. I do still dig a few of the older tracks, such as Chemical Warfare.
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Slayer is almost as good as Dethklok. Not quite, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangento View Post
    Very well-put, Kavus. This is honestly among the best descriptions I've read regarding Slayer's music.
    Yeah man, double well-put Kavus!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Sad to hear of this, too young. Personally I never could stand Slayer, never got their brand of thrash metal, and I tend to like the sub-genre. The satanic stuff was an instant turn off. And "Reign in Blood"? Seriously? I don't understand the need for all their songs to be so dark and negative. That could describe most thrash of course, but Slayer seemed to take that to a new level of despair.
    Keep far away from Norwegian black metal!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Keep far away from Norwegian black metal!
    Yeah. I don't think of Slayer as "evil" now that I know more about them. I remember seeing in an interview on one of those VH1 metal docs where Kerry King said that Slayer are just commenting on the ugliness that they see in the world.
    Last edited by JIF; 05-29-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I remember seeing in an interview on one of those VH1 metal docs where Kerry King said that Slayer are just commenting on the ugliness that they see in the world.
    There's a lot of so called art that allegedly "comments" on the ugliness of the world while really doing nothing but adding to it. I'm not necessarily accusing Slayer of that, but it's something I think about from time to time...

Banned
    According to recent posts I've seen a Facebook, Jeff was done in by liver failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Personally I never could stand Slayer, never got their brand of thrash metal, and I tend to like the sub-genre. The satanic stuff was an instant turn off. And "Reign in Blood"? Seriously? I don't understand the need for all their songs to be so dark and negative.
    Because death is coming to us all, Thomas. Death and then oblivion. And in the end, not God or Satan but, but... COMMUNISM!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The dark and negative has inspired artists forever. Let's hope it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    The dark and negative has inspired artists forever..
    Yeah, look at all the country and folk songs about people dying.

Banned
    Inspired by this thread, I got Reign In Blood because it was only $9.99. What am I in store for? I am too scared to listen. Are they like death metal?

Inspired by this thread, I got Reign In Blood [...] What am I in store for? I am too scared to listen. Are they like death metal?
    More like Evil Kill Metal, the hardest, toughest and meanest metal there ever was - so for goodness' sake don't play it!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    More like Evil Kill Metal, the hardest, toughest and meanest metal there ever was - so for goodness' sake don't play it!

Inspired by this thread, I got Reign In Blood because it was only $9.99. What am I in store for? I am too scared to listen. Are they like death metal?
    You're in for a violent 32 minute dose of adrenealin.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    You're in for a violent 32 minute dose of adrenealin.
    Even though I have no idea of What Tom was singing about, I really liked it.

Even though I have no idea of What Tom was singing about, I really liked it.
    Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
    The way that I want you to die...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    The dark and negative has inspired artists forever. Let's hope it continues.
    Word. I'll take this over love songs any day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Word. I'll take this over love songs any day.
    Why can't dark and negatively co-exist with love?