Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nu-Metal !

Nu-Metal !

Big fan of Linkin Park but nothing else from this genre.

Any other reccomendations ?

I recommend you stay away from Nu metal.
    I didn't realize Linkin Park was nu metal. They sound like alterni pop. Isn't nu metal bands like Limb Bizket?

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I recommend you stay away from Nu metal.
    I didn't realize Linkin Park was nu metal. They sound like alterni pop. Isn't nu metal bands like Limb Bizket?
    Yes they are but Linkin Park have continued to develop their sound over the years. They sound quite different from what they did in the 90:s but they'll always be associated as a Nu- Metal band !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Insane Clown Posse

I've never heard them, just thought I'd mention them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Insane Clown Posse

I've never heard them, just thought I'd mention them.

Their debut is highly recomended !

The Power to Believe.

If the Deftones count, White Pony is very good, IMO.

Banned
    I only have Hybrid Theory(their debut) and 2010's A Thousand Suns(which sounds like Pink Floyd and Radiohead gone Nu Metal). I don't like Nu Metal. Only got Hybrid Theory after listening to it late at night with my cousin(apparently, he's a fan). I have actually never made it through Hybrid Theory on my own. I was going to get Minutes To Midnight, but never got around to it.

ETERNAL HATE FOR THIS GENRE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    ETERNAL HATE FOR THIS GENRE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I prefer nude metal:

DEFTONES seconded, in moderation. KORN were quite good in places, too. otherwise, blight. i don't ever need to see or hear fred durst again. ever.

I always thought that Korn was the most successful of bands working in this style. I haven't listened to them in years, though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I always thought that Korn was the most successful of bands working in this style. I haven't listened to them in years, though.
    I only have their Unplugged CD. I wanted to get their CD that had the collabs with Skrillex, and other people.

I like Korn's debut release and I love Primus. Is Primus considered nu-metal? They certainly have positioned themselves as more of a jam band these days but they debuted at the same time nu-metal was making a splash.

I used to be a fan of 24-7 Spyz. I attended on of their concerts where Primus opened for them. I quickly forgot 24-7 Spyz and became obsessed with Primus.

Other than that, I'm not a nu-metal fan and consumer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I like Korn's debut release and I love Primus. Is Primus considered nu-metal? They certainly have positioned themselves as more of a jam band these days but they debuted at the same time nu-metal was making a splash.

I used to be a fan of 24-7 Spyz. I attended on of their concerts where Primus opened for them. I quickly forgot 24-7 Spyz and became obsessed with Primus.

Other than that, I'm not a nu-metal fan and consumer.
    Nu metal is rap rock. Primus is not nu metal.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Nu metal is rap rock. Primus is not nu metal.
    I'll agree with you that Primus is not nu-metal but disagree that nu-metal is rap rock. Certainly some of it is but not everything in the genre is rap rock. I would consider Helmet nu-metal and there's not a whole lot of rap in their overall approach. Not all nu-metal is rap or hip-hop influenced.

Ick. I won't say I hate all of it but over all not a big fan. I have a Puddle of Mud cd which I think is pretty good though. I think most of these bands are generic and sound too similar. I think it all went down hill in the mid to late nineties. At some point Pearl Jam became boring then Bush came along, Soundgarden broke up then Creed came along and that's when things really got ugly(for the most part). I like a few songs here and there but most so called nu metal or post grunge leaves me cold.

[I like Korn's debut release and I love Primus.]

I like Korn and Primus too. I think Korn predates nu metal by a little bit. To me they are sort of a less progressive and more straight forward version of Tool. Primus definitely aren't nu metal(imo) and definitely pre date the genre. I can see how these bands as well as Living Color could have influenced nu metal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think Korn predates nu metal by a little bit. To me they are sort of a less progressive and more straight forward version of Tool.
    Completely disagree....Korn is basically the progenitor of the nu-metal genre, and one of the very first to be branded with that genre label.

And I don't think they sound anything like Tool, either.

I thought nu-metal was "post grunge." In 1997 right before I rediscovered classic/rock and prog I got into Creed. I only had the first album (My Own Prison). I liked it. Never went beyond that. The radio hits I heard from their albums that followed sounded like crap.

There's no one category that Primus fits into. I like what little Korn I've heard. I'm not sure just what 'nu metal' is. There's a band whose name I've forgotten that had a song on radio a couple years ago, something about 'ladies and gentlemen' with a huge, heavy beat. Godsmack or Saliva or something like that.

I don't know if Seether is 'nu metal' but I love that song, 'Remedy'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought nu-metal was "post grunge." In 1997 right before I rediscovered classic/rock and prog I got into Creed. I only had the first album (My Own Prison). I liked it. Never went beyond that. The radio hits I heard from their albums that followed sounded like crap.
    Get Weathered from '01. That one is quite heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Completely disagree....Korn is basically the progenitor of the nu-metal genre, and one of the very first to be branded with that genre label.

And I don't think they sound anything like Tool, either.
    I don't see the Korn / Tool comparison either. Completely different bands to my ears.

Steve Sly

Does Katatonia fall under this category?