Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Pretty much a desert island disc for me and quite possibly my favorite PT. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion though. I haven't listened to it in a long time but I know the next time I do I'll be transported back in time to when I first heard it. One of the best shows I ever saw was PT during this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Shesmovedon might be the best pop song Wilson ever penned besides Trains, but this album has a great mix of pensive, furtive pop and sublime atmospherics. This also where the seeds of harder edged rock were planted that eventually bloom on In Absentia. This was my gateway into PT and it'll always be my fave. I'd love it if Wilson could still make albums like this.
    I agree. As for your comment about the seeds of the harder edged stuff they would continue with on IA, I agree to large extent although "even less" from Stupid Dream was pretty hard edged too although this one maybe takes it up a notch. Deadwing is even harder eged than IA but in my mind they were never really full blown metal. They just integrated more metal elements into their music(something I think was a direct result of SW working with Opeth).

One of their best!

Lightbulb Sun & Stupid Dream are my favorite PT albums. Easily encased Wilson's most melodic and varied material. After these albums Wilson split it all apart, kept the metal for PT, saved the melodies for Blackfield, and the ambient depressing stuff for his solo albums.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Hey mellotron storm are you talking about the special 2cd german edition with the blue cover and three tracks Buying New Soul, Pure Narcotic, and Tinto Brass live? I have this disc it was to promote there German tour and is rare?
    Same bonus tracks but mine is out of the UK and has the normal cover. Accoring to RYM there was two releases of the same double album in 2001, you must have the other one. I would say yours is rare.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I tried hard to like PT, but this album closed the lid on them. It left me with no interest whatsoever in pursuing anything else he did.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree. As for your comment about the seeds of the harder edged stuff they would continue with on IA, I agree to large extent although "even less" from Stupid Dream was pretty hard edged too although this one maybe takes it up a notch. Deadwing is even harder eged than IA but in my mind they were never really full blown metal. They just integrated more metal elements into their music(something I think was a direct result of SW working with Opeth).
    I think In Absentia was harder rock than Deadwing. Anyhoo, I should clarify, that while some of the songs from this album were my gateway into PT, the first album I bought of theirs was The Sky Moves Sideways (back in '01). That sort of curtailed my wanting to delve too deeply into PT at first, but back in early days of CD-R, there was so much compilation trading on another board that PT songs from the other albums kept turning up, so much so that I wound up buying all of them. Each album from Up The Downstair through Deadwing were very diverse and different from each other. That ended with FoaBP.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that